Those of you who have completed/more than halfway through C25K?

Options
Lizzypb88
Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
I just ended week 3 of the app, and each time is a challenge, typically each day is as hard as the last, some may be harder than other days... looking ahead, im just intimidated, the next week showing 5min runs and it increases faster than it used to, like going from week 1-2!
I'm curious of how hard it's going to get on me, does it seem to get extremely hard as the weeks go on and you pass the halfway point, or does the app do a good job of conditioning your body for running slow enough? I want to have an idea of what I'm in for when I start week 4 tomorrow!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Many people have to repeat certain weeks...I did. Just use your best judgement, but continue to challenge yourself. Progress is rarely linear.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I finished it earlier this year.

Biggest thing for me was to slow down. I had to take about a week off as I buggered my knee doing something unrelated, but pushed through fine.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    I just ended week 3 of the app, and each time is a challenge, typically each day is as hard as the last, some may be harder than other days... looking ahead, im just intimidated, the next week showing 5min runs and it increases faster than it used to, like going from week 1-2!
    I'm curious of how hard it's going to get on me, does it seem to get extremely hard as the weeks go on and you pass the halfway point, or does the app do a good job of conditioning your body for running slow enough? I want to have an idea of what I'm in for when I start week 4 tomorrow!

I am not that far myself (just on week 2) but have seen it mentioned in several threads that many struggle after week 3 because they are trying to sprint rather than keeping to a slower steady pace. I have found singing under my breath a really good method of controlling my breathing and keeping me at a good pace (if I can't sing I'm running too quick).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If you have to repeat days or even weeks, do it.

OTOH, I found that although some of the jumps in distance were very intimidating mentally, I was able to do them. It's a really good feeling when you do. On one of the jumps (8 minutes to 20) I split the distance the first time and ran 2 x 12 instead, but the next time I was able to do the 20 easily. However, I was in pretty decent shape from walking before I started running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I am not that far myself (just on week 2) but have seen it mentioned in several threads that many struggle after week 3 because they are trying to sprint rather than keeping to a slower steady pace. I have found singing under my breath a really good method of controlling my breathing and keeping me at a good pace (if I can't sing I'm running too quick).

This is true...don't worry about speed, slow down. C25K is great for getting you up to doing a 5K, but speed will come later.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm on week 6. It's the only week I've had to repeat (twice!), and that was because of outside issues. The first time, I was having trouble with allergies and asthma, so I had to adjust medications during high pollen time. Then I got sick so I took 5 days off and felt better repeating due to the lost time and lingering symptoms. The intensity did seem to suddenly escalate at week 4 or so, but I was able to do everything up through W6D2 before getting sick. Even the 20 minute run was completely doable. It really is mostly mental.

That said, last night was my last interval run. Tomorrow is W6D3 and it's a 22-minute run. My prior attempts at week 6 were just days 1 and 2. Next week, 25-minute runs. I'm trying to remind myself that I thought week 4 was crazy and it was actually fine.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you and where you are fitness-wise.

When I did C25K I was not overweight and had been lifting for a year. I used the Zombies 5K app that has optional 5min run periods at the start and finish of every session (you walk or run/walk if you don't feel up to running the whole time). I chose to run all of the optional sessions, so when the app jumped up to 5min run intervals it wasn't anything new. The biggest hurdle was the leap to 20min - and it turned out that was totally mental for me. It just seemed to drag on and on, but not because I was that tired. I was just anticipating the finish.

So, I did it in one go, but I was in a really good spot before I started. I know there are a lot of people that need to repeat weeks, but they still finish if they stick with it and don't get discouraged. The big thing to me is to repeat the week you failed and keep trying to get closer to success until you make it. Don't do what I've seen some do that have given up after multiple attempts, which is to repeat the last successful week thinking that would get them in shape for the week they failed.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 5... I'm going back to week 4 day one for a couple reasons... mostly related to my running cadence and program goals.

1. my slow run is between 6-7 mph... closer to 6
    2. I'm more interested in running 1.5 miles than 3... although I'll get to the 5K

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I completed C25k last year- I eased into the beginning of it (before I started) by increasing my walking because I was very out of shape. With a solid walking background for a few weeks, I didn't find any difficulty progressing from week to week- I also didn't run fast at all. Honestly, the program says 5k or 30 minutes of continuous running- I really was only doing a little over 2 miles in 30 minutes by the end. I had to do additional work to reach the distance after I "graduated". I unfortunately overdid it at the end of last year and I messed up my left knee, which resulted in months of PT- but that was NOT due to C25k, but my own mistakes.

A few recommendations as you move on: seriously warm up and cool down and stretch very well. Invest in good running shoes (seriously worth it). Add a few days of some bodyweight exercises like lunges/squats/etc can help strengthen the muscles of your legs and around your knees to help prevent injury. Drink plenty of water (especially in the summer).

Good luck and have fun with it. Repeat weeks as you need. The program will get you there- I honestly was amazed at my own progress. Enjoy it :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Much of the challenge in running is the psychological, rather than the physiological. That challenge remains whether you're talking about jumping to 5 or 20 minutes, and similarly when you're talking about the jump from marathon to 50Km.

The build up is progressive, adding a bit at a time. Your body will find it easier than your mind will.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Like other's have said, repeat a week if you have to (I did, it took me 13 weeks to complete C25K). I also went back a week when I found one week too challenging. Just know that you are improving, even if it takes you a little longer.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I repeated a couple of weeks, but the program did such a good job that, in the end, I was able to skip the last week. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks. And don't be afraid to slow down either. Sometimes it's hard to run longer because you're running too fast, even when you think you're running really slow.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This is true...don't worry about speed, slow down. C25K is great for getting you up to doing a 5K, but speed will come later.

All of this. Run at a pace where you could carry on a conversation. It will help make sure you're running the right pace. Don't worry about "fast" or "slow"....it's all relative anyway.

Also...there's no shame in repeating weeks. Everyone is different. Some people do it in the planned time, some take 12 weeks. Just do you and keep going!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Usually you can do more than you "think" you can. When you get there, you will be able to do it. If you need to repeat a week, no problem, that is how the program is intended to work.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!- the first two weeks were rough on me as my knees took a huge beating, but after getting good running shoes, and doing good stretching after, I can say I am able to get around and do daily activities like normal, so I know I'm not overdoing it and my body isn't sore... I do worry about getting sore though, I definitely push myself if I want to, like when I tried running the 5k with no training, which got me interested in this!
    What should I watch for when doing the workout, what are the signs that I need to slow my progress? I only run at a 4.7, which is up from my 4.5 the first two weeks so I'm definitely going slow!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 5... I'm going back to week 4 day one for a couple reasons... mostly related to my running cadence and program goals.

2. I'm more interested in running 1.5 miles than 3... although I'll get to the 5K

Interesting definition of "slow". 6 mph is 10 minute miles and 7 mph is 8:34 miles. Both of which are FAST in my book. 6 mph gets you 5K time to just over 30 minutes. and 7 mph is 26:34 for a 5K. Times many people strive for.

OP- C25K is not a race. It's a training tool. Go slowly enough for you to do the workout. If it was hard repeat. A session, or a week. Most of us have. If you can't sing "Happy Birthday" while running, you are going too fast. If you aren't enjoying the run, you're going too fast. Don't worry about speed. Speed will come with conditioning. That "slow", let's sing pace, will get gradually faster as your condition progresses.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Interesting definition of "slow". 6 mph is 10 minute miles and 7 mph is 8:34 miles. Both of which are FAST in my book. 6 mph gets you 5K time to just over 30 minutes. and 7 mph is 26:34 for a 5K. Times many people strive for.

OP- C25K is not a race. It's a training tool. Go slowly enough for you to do the workout. If it was hard repeat. A session, or a week. Most of us have. If you can't sing "Happy Birthday" while running, you are going too fast. If you aren't enjoying the run, you're going too fast. Don't worry about speed. Speed will come with conditioning. That "slow", let's sing pace, will get gradually faster as your condition progresses.

I've never been able to run slower than 6 mph. If I hadn't spent a year getting deconditioned because I couldn't get a straight answer from my docs about what was causing my knee pain, and what the best care for it was, I'd be going a good bit faster... I also wouldn't be doing C25K.

I also can walk consistent miles at a 5+ pace.. so theres that.

But the thread really isn't about me...
  • mistlechild
    mistlechild Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is really good advice. Glad I came across it! I'm just starting the C25K program and I think I need to get over the mental hurdles over anything else.