Should I stop intense exercise?

Options
When I didn't do intense exercise, I still lost weight. I usually lost 1.5lbs a week. When I started intense exercise, I lost 2.5 pounds a week, gained some muscle and was able to hold heavy items. My brother who is a doctor advised me against non intense exercise and said I would lose weight at a slower rate. Intense exercise has been making me feel tired and when I get home I end up lying on my bed. What should I do?

Replies

• Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    OP, I am curious what you consider "intense"?
  • misshoneyz2dab
    misshoneyz2dab Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Going faster is what I consider intense
  • Wildflower65265
    Wildflower65265 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it's really important to get in a little weight training and a few strong workouts so that your skin will be tight. A few people I know lost 80+ pounds and have tight skin, and this was their mantra. They are on the younger side though. I would do what makes you feel healthy, and if you hit a plateau adjust it up or down. You have to have a lifestyle that you enjoy and are happy to be living.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with pushing yourself a little in order to improve your endurance, speed, etc. But, there are still a lot of questions like @janejellyroll stated.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I didn't do intense exercise, I still lost weight. I usually lost 1.5lbs a week. When I started intense exercise, I lost 2.5 pounds a week, gained some muscle and was able to hold heavy items. My brother who is a doctor advised me against non intense exercise and said I would lose weight at a slower rate. Intense exercise has been making me feel tired and when I get home I end up lying on my bed. What should I do?

I don't like to exercise to the point that I'm wiped out. Normally, exercise energizes me and I continue to move for the rest of the day.

How much weight do you have to lose to get to your goal weight? If under 100 pounds, yes, 2.5 pounds per week is somewhat fast and you should definitely consider slowing down.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

If you do it for the same amount of time, that is true.

The benefit to non-intense exercise is that you can do it for much longer without wiping yourself out - which means you can often do it more frequently, too. If you have the time to spend, non-intense exercise can burn many more calories than intense exercise and it is ideal for increasing endurance.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you? 2.5 lbs per wk loss is a lot. You may be losing too fast and should either scale back the exercise by either swapping in some non-intense exercise or increasing rest days or you could keep exercise the same and eat more - either would help you feel better.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OP what are you doing for exercising specifically and how often are you exercising? I too question the need to lose 2.5 pounds per week, this might be too fast a rate of loss and should reassess.

Next I could ask are you working out fasted (meaning no food prior), have you actually gone back to the intensity and duration you were doing to make sure that you are not doing too much too soon?

Exercise should enhance weight loss sure, but it is to help you become healthier not the other way around. So yes perhaps reassess your exercise, how much you are resting in between exercise secession, assure that you are eating enough to handle your day to day responsibilities including the exercising of choice.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you are giving yourself rest days. These are essential as recovery time so the muscles you are working hard are able to repair and remember the demands you are making of them. 2.5 lb a week loss is above the recommended loss it may not be as significant if you have a significant amount to loose but if you are verging on close slowing would be beneficial.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What are the credentials and experience of your brother? Medical doctors receive very little training in diet, exercise, or weight management.

Your routine is reliant on your goals. Establish what these are first, then find a plan that gets you there. Continue to reassess and rework/redefine your plan and goal as time goes on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Going faster is what I consider intense

Faster than what...?
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If the intense exercising is making it so you just go home and crash on your bed, dial the exercise back a bit until you get to a point where you can exercise adequately and still have energy when you get home. You're still going to lose weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So without exercise you lost 1.5lbs per week and with it you lose 2.5lbs per week. There's your issue, now wonder you're fatigued. Eat more.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Most people (and all beginners) will get more benefit from moderate exercise than intense.
  • karliexrose
    karliexrose Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If the intensity is causing your physical pain or unwellness then it is something to consider tweaking.

A lot of great point were made above, when you change your activity level you also need to change other things.
    For example: How much you are eating. If you are not properly hydrated or ingesting the proper proteins, fats, complex carbohydrates and vitamins & minerals you need.

If you're unsure if what you've been eating, MFP is a great way to track it.

Remember that before partaking in intense exercise proper warmup and cooldown should be done
    And trust me I'm not kidding my body is ruined due to muscular inflammation disease and such, when I was in the fitness world this was the easiest to blow off, but the most important.

If you feel sick and unwell from your intense exercise, check with your doctor or a pysician to help guide you, I cannot speak for the rest of us here but I am no doctor, I can only give you my opinions and thoughts based off of my knowledge, but in no way does this replace consulting your doctor before partaking in any exercise, regardless of intesnity.