Keto Diet Help!

Options
I've always done diets higher in carbs, but was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes. My doctor recommended either low carb or keto and I decided keto. It's the complete opposite of what I've always done and having a very hard time meeting my fat macros. What are some of your mostly fat containing foods or meals?? Thank you all so much!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have better luck in one of the (more) specific groups than on the general forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have loads of MCT/coconut oil - but it's easy since I'm happy to eat it by the tablespoon. Also mix into other things and use it for frying.
  • eatmorepaleo
    eatmorepaleo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bacon, eggs, cheese and avocados add up quickly. They are part of the keto diet. Thats usually how I meet my fat goals :)
  • Kerry_Loo
    Kerry_Loo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely avocado! Cook with butter or coconut oil. At the beginning of keto it's a lot about weaning yourself off carbs hence the high fat to keep you satiated. Once you're fat adapted (took me about a month) you'll find you don't have to rely so heavily on fat as you don't feel hungry. Remember to replenish your electrolytes throughout this way of eating. Keto flu can be awful.
  • Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Read up about keto on reddit.com to get you started. Their "Keto in a Nutshell" and "Keto FAQ" info are fantastic. If you are a woman ( I'm not sure since there a man and woman in your pic - lol ) go to the subreddit xxketo as it's more geared to specific keto issues/questions that women have. Good luck. There are a lot of keto people that are on there that are on MFP.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    When on keto I mix a good quality, high fat soft cheese with myprotein toffee flavdrops, sea salt and peanut butter...like peanut butter toffee cheesecake, minus the base. You'll EASILY get your fat macros with this in your diet plus it's delicious.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd go salmon, whole eggs, avocado, and greens cooked in butter. Yum!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'd focus on hitting your protein, keeping carbs low, cooking vegetables in fat and eating whole eggs and just generally not being scared of fat and then see what your numbers are and adjust. I would not start by actively trying to add in lots of fat, but increase fat if you are hungry.

Out of curiosity why keto vs low carb (keto is the low carb but with especially low carbs)? I'm trying to get down to keto levels to try it (you can look at my diary if you want to see some ups and down--a few missed days because I was out of town, but most of the past 3 weeks are logged), but find it challenging and I've been low carbing for a while. Just lowering carbs seems an easier way to start.

I do recommend the group that was linked above.
  • mmilligan14
    mmilligan14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm not scared of fats by any means, just struggling to eat a lot of them, without going over my protein!

@lemurcat12 I'm doing keto because my dr recommended it after I gained 20 lbs out of nowhere due to insulin resistance. He said it'd help me drop the weight and get my insulin levels under control.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I'm doing keto because my dr recommended it after I gained 20 lbs out of nowhere due to insulin resistance. He said it'd help me drop the weight and get my insulin levels under control.

I was asking because in your OP you said your doctor recommended low carb OR keto, and it's often easier to reduce carbs and see how far down you want to go. I agree that lower carbs is often helpful if you are IR (although you won't gain out of nowhere).

Here's a good discussion of the benefits even from just low carb: http://caloriesproper.com/carbs-low-vs-lower/

Does your doctor think you need to worry about going over protein? (you might want to ask for a referral to a dietitian, as that can be very helpful). Really high protein would be counterproductive if the goal is ketosis, and definitely people should realize that it's high fat, not high protein, but at least moderate protein is good when losing weight, protects against muscle loss, helps with satiety, and going over a little is nothing to worry about.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil, Butter, Cream Cheese, Eggs, Bacon, 25%/20% Ground Meats and Saudages are good choices.