It's 1PM and I've maxed on my protein, now what?

Options
rmmcgar
rmmcgar Posts: 3 Member
I'm following a 1700 calorie diet, and I've been doing very well (pats self on back), but I'm always over, or under, on the 'little' things like carbs, proteins, sodium, etc. Should I not worry about that right now? I've only just started this diet less than 2 weeks ago, so there's a learning curve. Also, I know what I need to eat to round out a balanced meal. I think that focusing on calories should be my focus. I'm the kind of person that used to just eat what I wanted, when I wanted, how much I wanted, so for me to count the calories is a HUGE step. Is it REALLY a big deal to not follow the guidelines for protein, carbs, sodium, etc as well as calories?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    as long as you are under your calories you will lose weight (assuming that is your goal)

if you are trying for more of a IIFYM, I find meal prepping helps

what is your protein goal for the day? maybe increase it and decrease another macro
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    There is a learning curve. Calories are a good initial focus for weight loss. Many lose all of their weight without ever getting into the macro aspect of it.

Baby steps will get you there. Don't feel like you have to know everything at once.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    rmmcgar wrote: »
    I'm following a 1700 calorie diet, and I've been doing very well (pats self on back), but I'm always over, or under, on the 'little' things like carbs, proteins, sodium, etc. Should I not worry about that right now? I've only just started this diet less than 2 weeks ago, so there's a learning curve. Also, I know what I need to eat to round out a balanced meal. I think that focusing on calories should be my focus. I'm the kind of person that used to just eat what I wanted, when I wanted, how much I wanted, so for me to count the calories is a HUGE step. Is it REALLY a big deal to not follow the guidelines for protein, carbs, sodium, etc as well as calories?

You don't have to get them exact, some people don't track macros at all, and it's okay if you blow them out of the water every once and awhile. For weight loss, calories are king. Macros can help with satiety, and are important for some health issues and fitness goals.

Many people look at protein and fat as minimums and let carbs fall where they may. I also try to hit my fiber number for health reasons. I don't have any health issues, so I really don't look at sugar and sodium.
  • rmmcgar
    rmmcgar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is my goal, 100%. Other than being overweight, I have no health issues; low BP, cholesterol on point, blah blah blah. So I think I'm just going to focus on keeping my calories at, or under, 1700, for now; anything else is going to be too stressful, and not necessary. Thanks!!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    As others have said calories will help you lose the weight . . . so as long as you're eating less than you burn you'll be fine.

I watch macros, in addition to calories, but that's my preference. I also watch sodium intake for personal health reasons but it's totally up to you.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at my macros over the week rather than the day. You can get summaries on the app under "nutrition". For me, going over on protein usually means I'll be under on carbs, and that's fine as my carbs are usually at 50%.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    No worries - I treat protein and fat as minimums and let the carbs work themselves out. Calories are the only thing that matter for weight loss.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If it's going over mfp's recommendation for protein that's a good thing. Their 15% is rediculously low.

Also, why I have to pre-plan my meals.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    more protein is better, so.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    When eating in a calorie deficit, protein is the macro I concentrate on. I allow the carbs and fats to fall where they may. I usually eat the same things so its pretty consistent any ways.

eta I am always over on sodium, I do look at it each day, but no health reasons to worry about that for myself.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    If it's going over mfp's recommendation for protein that's a good thing. Their 15% is rediculously low.

Also, why I have to pre-plan my meals.

MFP's protein default used to be 15% but it's been 20% for a while. A Message about MyFitnessPal's updated nutrition goals
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    As long as your average is on target, hitting or missing a particular number on any given day doesn't matter.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    rmmcgar wrote: »

The protein amount recommended on MFP is [1] more of a minimum, and [2] lower than most other calculators recommend. Don't worry about going over at 1pm.
  • Skee_2802
    Skee_2802 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Like others have posted, don't sweat the daily count too much if you happen to go over the numbers.
    Consider looking at the overall weekly average. We mere mortals will have that day where we go over or under.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have certain rare diseases (you'd likely know), extra protein won't hurt you, within reason, unless it drives out other needed nutrition by taking up too much of your calorie goal.

Personally, I treat my protein and fat goals as minimums, and make sure I get a minimum of 5 servings of varied fruit and vegetables. After that, I don't worry too much about where I spend my other calories, if I have any. Extra protein, extra healthy fats, extra veggies, random tasty carbs, or alcohol are all reasonable expenditures. ;)
  • manwaffles
    manwaffles Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you're following MFP's 20% then blow it out as much as you want! That's crazy low. Yes calories are what ultimately matter for weight loss if that's where you're at, but for long term fitness goals and to get in the best possible shape you will eventually want to also pay attention to where those calories come from. That's when macros will be more important than calories. Until then, live and let live.