Bariatric Surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is a great website (American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons) for debunking the myths surrounding WLS. If it's something you'd like to explore, it's worth taking a look:
    https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-misconceptions
    No, it is not 'the easy way out'. And yes, there can be complications. But you have to balance out the odds of WLS complications with what you are personally facing re: your own personal health, (dis)abilities and current issues. Obesity is deadly too. For those of us who have spent decades working at it, with little long-term success, WLS is an option worth consideration.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    bhdon wrote: »
    This is a great website (American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons) for debunking the myths surrounding WLS. If it's something you'd like to explore, it's worth taking a look:
    https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-misconceptions
    No, it is not 'the easy way out'. And yes, there can be complications. But you have to balance out the odds of WLS complications with what you are personally facing re: your own personal health, (dis)abilities and current issues. Obesity is deadly too. For those of us who have spent decades working at it, with little long-term success, WLS is an option worth consideration.

This is like accepting the American "College" of Radiology as an unbiased source on how often you should have a mammogram.
  • korrieriley
    korrieriley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had my gastric bypass now 4 years. It's no easy task if anything my health has changed completely. I'm now diabetic and have spinal issues which happened 18 years ago so find exercise hard. I need my life to change I've lost 15 stone before and after my surgery but now things are staying still. A fellow surgery friend suggested using this and I'm so glad already I did. If anyone else is similar I'd love to get in touch. X
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I never had WLS, but my ex wife had DS almost ten years ago. It's not the easy way out, and its hardly a walk in the park, but it can be a very effective tool if used properly. To the OP, if you have any questions, PM me. Although from Canada, we ended up going to the US to have it done