I'm a big reader. Water For Elephants question and book sugg

Options
snewsome7
snewsome7 Posts: 189
PLEASE, NO SPOILERS!!!

I started reading Water for Elephants the other day. (I am only a couple of chapters in). However, once I finish the book, I am hesitant to see the movie. I have a serious phobia of clowns, and I know the circus plays a part in the book. Has anyone seen the movie? All I am asking is, how often do clowns show up in the movie? I can handle a few, but if there are too many I won’t be able to watch it.

Also, if you have any book suggestions PLEASE let me know! I love a good book and am constantly looking for good books to read. :]

Replies

• _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I loved the book, haven't seen the movie though! For your sake, I hope it is something you can handle, I love seeing a book come to life on the screen! Good luck!
  • snewsome7
    Options
    I loved the book, haven't seen the movie though! For your sake, I hope it is something you can handle, I love seeing a book come to life on the screen! Good luck!

I do too! I ALWAYS read a book before I see the movie. Books have so much more detail and I love being able to escape! I am excited about Hunger Games next year!! :]
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    One of the few movies that was as good as the book. No clown worries...
  • snewsome7
    Options
    One of the few movies that was as good as the book. No clown worries...

THANK YOU!! Whoohhoo!! haha. I was really worried about the clowns. I feel much better now :]
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thats next on my reading list!! I havent seen the movie but I would HIGHLY recommend Barbara Kingsolvers Poisonwood Bible. I LOVED IT. hands down my favorite book ever and Im a very avid reader...its just great.
  • rsparks38
    rsparks38 Posts: 51
    Options
    I read the book, I don't remember much mention of clowns, haven't seen the movie!
  • abcerc
    abcerc Posts: 58
    Options
    That's good to know. I'm reading it now too- and I have a huge clown phobia!!
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do too! I ALWAYS read a book before I see the movie. Books have so much more detail and I love being able to escape! I am excited about Hunger Games next year!! :]

I looooved Hunger Games, I can't wait for the movie, I read the 3 books in 2 days.

I liked Atonement too, both the movie and the book

Right now I'm reading Game of Thrones, its also my favorite tv series (HBO), I loooove it.
  • AshleyNRi
    AshleyNRi Posts: 33
    Options
    Have you read The Hunger Games? SOOOOOOOOOO good. And 0% clowns.
  • deedee3732
    deedee3732 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am also reading Game of Thrones, I am actually on the second book, A Clash of Kings, I love the books, and I loved the show. Let me know how Water for Elephants turns out, I love to read, and it is on my list.
  • viviennewaterworth
    Options
    Saw the movie...is the book as dark as the movie? I enjoyed it, but in a strange sad sort of way.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    There is a clown scene.. or two.. one at the start which is just decor.. and then about an hour in with a midget clown....
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Also, if you have any book suggestions PLEASE let me know! I love a good book and am constantly looking for good books to read. :]

I loved 'The Memory Keeper's Daughter' by Kim Edwards ~ I loved the book but was not as impressed with the movie. It was okay, but I had high expectations since I had loved the book so much ~ read it twice before the movie came out on Lifetime.

:wink:
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    I haven't seen the movie, but loved the book. I was concerned about mistreatment of animals in the movie.

I recommend The Help, the movie comes out soon. I loved the book, I'm really looking forward to the movie!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options

They are making that into a movie also!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I loved the book, haven't seen the movie.
    If you haven't read it, I highly recommend The Time Traveller's Wife. The book though, not the movie - that was pretty ordinary.
  • snewsome7
    Options

I looooved Hunger Games, I can't wait for the movie, I read the 3 books in 2 days.

I liked Atonement too, both the movie and the book

Right now I'm reading Game of Thrones, its also my favorite tv series (HBO), I loooove it.

Oooohh I'll have to check it out! Yes Hunger Games I have read the series 2 times (the first book 3 times) haha I re-read when new books come out. I am reading a few different books right now but re-reading The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare. If you like Twilight Saga you will love it!
  • snewsome7
    Options

0% clowns is perfect! :]
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thats next on my reading list!! I havent seen the movie but I would HIGHLY recommend Barbara Kingsolvers Poisonwood Bible. I LOVED IT. hands down my favorite book ever and Im a very avid reader...its just great.

I really liked Poisonwood Bible. I also LOVED Life of Pi and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I just finished The Help and it's probably not in my top ten of all time, but it was pretty good and made me think (especially because it was really close to my husband's grandmother's life story, except she grew up in Memphis and not Jackson).

To go a bit old school, I just finished reading an English translation of Count of Monte Cristo and could not put it down. It's slow at first but about 1/3 of the way in you'll be hooked. (And I loved the movie, but it's crazy how different they are! I was really surprised by some of the things in the book!)

One of my favorite all time books is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

(Clearly I read a lot!!!)
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I loved the book, haven't seen the movie.
    If you haven't read it, I highly recommend The Time Traveller's Wife. The book though, not the movie - that was pretty ordinary.

I second TTW! I was bawling at the end. =)