Strength training plans during weight loss

linsey0689
linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm looking to do strength training combined with my cardio for weight loss. I get confused on what to do and would like to follow a plan. I previously was a member to YMCA which used Activtrax which I enjoyed. Now I'm a member to planet fitness and don't have any similar program. I have tried looking at bodybuilding.com plans and I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right place, but they all start with wanting me to do chin up, barbell squats and other thing I either can't do or don't feel comfortable with.

Question is.... is there any good strength training programs for those obese looking to lose weight. Or is any on bodybuilding.com that anyone would recommend in my situation

Thanks!!

Replies

• MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    In the case with the plans on bodybuilding.com, whenever you encounter an exercise or movement that's too difficult (or painful) there's actually a list of substitutions you can do instead. I made use of that many times because to this day I have trouble with pull ups, etc. Its a great way to ease yourself into strengthening the right muscles to be able to perform more complex movements in the future.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any one program to use as I never really stuck to any of the ones I started myself. I just took the basic structure of them and added/subtracted exercises as I saw fit, which I'm sure once you get the hang of things you'll do it.

I am all for anyone who wants to get into strenght training so I say go for it! Just be fearless and ask if you're unsure. Trust me, if you need the help most people will be more than willing to show you proper technique, etc.

Good luck @linsey0689, you'll love it!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2017
    malibu927 wrote: »

A lot of good information here. I can recommend looking for either bodyweight exercises or dumbbell exercises to start and build a foundation. That way, you can modify the amount/weight you are using to your fitness level and make sure you are using proper form for each exercise before you progress. If you want to try something else and feel uncomfortable, you can always see if you can get a trainer for a intro session to equipment and form at most gyms. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    malibu927 wrote: »

From my list, I'd recommend Aworkoutroutines dumbbell routine. It's fairly basic; it focuses on the core lifts; and it will position you to move to barbells once you develop the basic foundation.

If you want a bit more in terms of accessory lifts, the M&S dumbbell routine is also very effective.
  • mrsdumbuya100
    mrsdumbuya100 Posts: 61 Member
    Try a ketos diet and work out 4 muscles in your body each time u fo to the gym...
    For example i do
    Monday: triceps, biceps, abs, chest
    Wednesday: back, legs, calves, hamstring
    Friday: inner thigh, outer thigh, shoulders, obliques
    Saturday: cardio
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Strong curves has a beginner spread sheet with mostly dumbbells and bands or body weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Try a ketos diet and work out 4 muscles in your body each time u fo to the gym...
    For example i do
    Monday: triceps, biceps, abs, chest
    Wednesday: back, legs, calves, hamstring
    Friday: inner thigh, outer thigh, shoulders, obliques
    Saturday: cardio

There is no need to try keto unless the OP feels it would be an appropriate diet. Also, I wouldn't recommend that program. Not only does it not discuss reps, sets or progression scheme, it is not focused on the core lifts nor does it have adequate frequency.

A structured program, like the ones linked above, will provide you a guideline (especially if that person doesn't have the knowledge to do adequate programming) to maximize your strength and/or muscle gains, while minimize the amount of time spent in a gym, spinning your wheels.