Omega 3 Fish Oil

Options

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    There was just a study that showed Omega-3s had no impact on memory/improving brain function.

I don't take any vitamins or supplements because they don't have to undergo FDA testing.
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I take Innovix Labs Triple Strength, two soft gels per day. I do it for the brain health and the anti-inflammatory properties. If I were a male I might be concerned about the prostate cancer risk but I would have to do more research.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Walnuts and sardines have Omega 3.
  • Jimsmith109
    Jimsmith109 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take Omega 3 fish oil twice a day every day it has helped me with my weight loss and cholesterol, I recommend it highly but you should always check with you doctor before taking anything new, especially if you are on any other medication, some supplements don't mix well with medication.
    But this is my opinion and I'm sure others will have other opinions and don't believe everything you read on the inter-web.
    Jim
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I take Omega 3 fish oil twice a day every day it has helped me with my weight loss and cholesterol, I recommend it highly but you should always check with you doctor before taking anything new, especially if you are on any other medication, some supplements don't mix well with medication.
    But this is my opinion and I'm sure others will have other opinions and don't believe everything you read on the inter-web.
    Jim

RiIght. Fish oil is a blood thinner and could interfere with other medications. Potential problems could arise if one takes aspirin, warfarin, . . .
  • falcon96
    falcon96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My family doctor actually recommended that I start taking 2 Omega 3 fish oil capsules a day
  • AMachnev
    AMachnev Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take omega 3 oil everyday. Not just for general health reasons but because it has an anti-inflammatory property to it and helps me avoid the soreness from my workout.
  • ew51719
    ew51719 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about weight loss, but I take this product,http://bit.ly/oMEGAthree, and it does wonders for my face! My skin is much clearer and there is no "fishy" after taste!
  • trevorgallo
    trevorgallo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I took Salve Oleum 3-6-9 fish oil from salve supplements to help me with my anxiety disorder as per my doctor's advice.

it really helps in making me calm nowadays (ive been taking it for 3 months) and a side effect is the noticeable weight loss. I lost 5 lbs in the last 3 months, it is not a big loss, but whats pleasant about it is that I didnt do anything extra with my workout.

I guess it helps with fat metabolism. I read it somewhere before.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I don't think it helps with fat metabolism at all.

May have other minor benefits for some people but fat metabolism isn't one of them.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This thread is from 2014, every now and again someone fishes an old thread out.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I take it, couldn't tell you if it makes a difference at all but it cheap so why not
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    AMachnev wrote: »
    I take omega 3 oil everyday. Not just for general health reasons but because it has an anti-inflammatory property to it and helps me avoid the soreness from my workout.

@AMachnev I got into fish oil capsules in 1996 for their anti-inflammatory property thanks to an Amway introduction. After they kicked me out I stayed with the fish oil. In 2004 I stopped taking NSAIDS for pain because of their side effects that I no longer could live with so since then I have been really heavy into fish oil because they really take a bite out of my arthritis pain.

Last week I got the results of my first Coronary Artery Calcium scoring test. To my surprise the score was 9.3 when I was hoping for at least 100 but knew it could be much worse. So at the age of 66 I have artery health of an average 56 year old white male.

health.harvard.edu/heart-health/should-you-consider-a-coronary-artery-calcium-scan-

This article shows the visual difference between a CAC score = Zero vs. = 1200

As stated by others there is not direct proof that fish oil insures good heart health I do expect it was helpful in my case. Because there is no fat profit margins in fish oil I never expect to see highly controlled research on the subject.

Welcome to MFP forums.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Jim

RiIght. Fish oil is a blood thinner and could interfere with other medications. Potential problems could arise if one takes aspirin, warfarin, . . .

https://healthcentral.com/article/does-fish-oil-cause-bleeding

I found this article about when fish oil is and is not considered a blood thinner helpful.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Holy necro thread
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    AMachnev wrote: »

@AMachnev I got into fish oil capsules in 1996 for their anti-inflammatory property thanks to an Amway introduction. After they kicked me out I stayed with the fish oil. In 2004 I stopped taking NSAIDS for pain because of their side effects that I no longer could live with so since then I have been really heavy into fish oil because they really take a bite out of my arthritis pain.

Last week I got the results of my first Coronary Artery Calcium scoring test. To my surprise the score was 9.3 when I was hoping for at least 100 but knew it could be much worse. So at the age of 66 I have artery health of an average 56 year old white male.

health.harvard.edu/heart-health/should-you-consider-a-coronary-artery-calcium-scan-

This article shows the visual difference between a CAC score = Zero vs. = 1200

As stated by others there is not direct proof that fish oil insures good heart health I do expect it was helpful in my case. Because there is no fat profit margins in fish oil I never expect to see highly controlled research on the subject.

Welcome to MFP forums.

Considering her first and only post was in 2014, you're a bit late off the mark there...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    https://healthcentral.com/article/does-fish-oil-cause-bleeding

I found this article about when fish oil is and is not considered a blood thinner helpful.

Thanks for the link. Interesting write-up by William Davis. The nub:
    There are two situations, however, in which omega-3 fatty acids can contribute to blood thinning sufficient to be important. One is if you are deficient in vitamin K1, a vitamin crucial to forming blood clotting proteins; omega-3 fatty acids in the presence of vitamin K1 deficiency can cause an inadvertent excess risk of bleeding. For this reason, including plenty of vitamin K1-rich foods like broccoli, lettuces, green peppers, and other green-colored foods is important for this and other health benefits.

The second situation is the intentional vitamin K1-“deficiency” induced by the drug, Coumadin ® (warfarin); because omega-3s modestly reduce production of several clotting proteins (e.g., factors VII and X) that intersect with Coumadin’s ® action, blood may thin more than without omega-3s present. For this reason, anyone adding omega-3 supplements while on Coumadin ® should simply work with their healthcare provider and have an INR checked within 1-2 weeks to assess any change and reassess INR if any dose change in omega-3s is made.

Outside of these special situations, the blood thinning effect of omega-3 fatty acids should be viewed as a benefit, not a risk.
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There is no magic pill to help you lose weight. But I take the fish oils to help keep my fat ratio 1:1 or close as i can get it. We eat a lot of omega 6 and not enuff 3's. 3's help with reducing inflammation and 6's help with creating it. So, it has health benefits, but you can get omega 3's from eating fish more or eating grass fed beef and butter. You don't NEED a pill. But i take them and they make me feel better. I literally feel better mentally and physically. SO, for me, I feel they help.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    drgnfyre wrote: »
    There is no magic pill to help you lose weight. But I take the fish oils to help keep my fat ratio 1:1 or close as i can get it. We eat a lot of omega 6 and not enuff 3's. 3's help with reducing inflammation and 6's help with creating it. So, it has health benefits, but you can get omega 3's from eating fish more or eating grass fed beef and butter. You don't NEED a pill. But i take them and they make me feel better. I literally feel better mentally and physically. SO, for me, I feel they help.

@drgnfyre I agree after using fish oil for past 21 years.