The Ashwell Shape Chart in stead of BMI

Options
I just posted this on another thread. But thought it may motivate people so am giving it a thread of it's own.

I always weigh heavier than I look. I'm 5ft 4 which means I should weigh about 9 - 9 1/2 stone to be in the green on a BMI Chart, but to be that weight I would be a UK size 8 - 10 and that would be deathly thin for me, I don't have a small light bone structure. I went for physio last year and the centre I went to introduced me to the Ashwell Shape Chart instead of BMI and they say it can be applied to anyone including professional athletes with large muscle mass because obviously muscle weighs heavier than fat. It's done on measurements rather than weight.

So if you're interested the Ashwell Shape Chart can be found at http://www.ashwell.uk.com/shapechart.htm

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Good heavens at 5'1 and a 25/6 in waist I am in the take care category- almost.

I do actually just get into green, but being an apple shape, carrying the majority of my fat in my abdomen, I thought I would be hovering closer to the danger zones.

Personally I find them generous waist measurements.

Cheers, h.
  • mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say, men often measure themselves wrong for this. It's not you're trouser waist size, that's more your hip measurement.

It's that bit between your the top of your hips and your rib cage. Ladies find this easier because it's a measurement we often need for clothes shopping and it's also where we're supposed to "curve in" if we're in shape. But men often get confused and are a little disappointed too because their actual waist size is often more than their trouser size.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I think the waist measurements are quite generous too. It's also weird that they ascribe a shape without factoring in hip circumference. With a 30 inch waist and 38 inch hips I (unfortunately) would not consider myself pear shaped.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Hmm, I think the waist measurements are quite generous too. It's also weird that they ascribe a shape without factoring in hip circumference. With a 30 inch waist and 38 inch hips I (unfortunately) would not consider myself pear shaped.

I agree.

And personally, I find the BMI chart to work well for me. I feel best when I'm in the lower half of my normal BMI range ... and know I'm overweight when I step out of my normal BMI range into overweight.