Running... am I doing this right?

Options
So I started running for the first time in my life in October. At that time I really couldn't get very far before I was out of breath. I tried a few apps to get started with, but even running for a full minute was too much. So I overlooked the 'couch to 5k' apps and stuck with Runkeeper where I could just start / stop when I could / had to, and gradually build it up.

I've made a degree of progress with this, I can run for much longer and further than when I started. But I still can't run continuously for even half of my 2k route (maybe a third or a quarter...but hard to judge because there's traffic in all directions which I often have to stop for). I have taken the odd month (once) or week (few times) off because of bad ice or business trips etc.

Is this progress much slower than what it could or should be? If I was using an app where someone shouted in my ear to "run now!" - "stop now!" - would I be on 5k already? Interested to hear your opinions and experience!

Thanks!

Replies

• scarletthais
    scarletthais Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just realised this is in the wrong discussion thread really isn't it. Sorry, new here.
  • muedra52
    muedra52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is this progress slower than what it could be -- without knowing anything about your background, probably.

What is your goal? Just to be able to run 5k continuously? Pick a 5k looped route and cover the distance regardless: run when you can, walk when you must. Get comfortable being uncomfortable, or you won't improve. Also, nothing wrong with doing intervals. Even the most experienced runners will use intervals (albeit usually not walking intervals) to get faster.

Find a running partner. Find some good music. Choose a more scenic route. Run earlier in the day, before it gets so hot. And yes, there's tons of fun apps out there -- if it motivates you, use it! Above all, do it in a way that's enjoyable to you -- that's how you'll stick to it.

Good luck!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running? Most people seem to think they need to sprint - which makes it hard to build up distance. If this is you - run slower - more of a jog - even it is barely faster than your walk. Build up speed later after distance.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are running too fast. Slow down! Then slow down some more. You should barely be going faster than you walk, many people run slower than they walk.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Taking time off like you said a month or even weeks will cause you to lose some of you endurance depending on how much time passes before you get back to running..

Its like anything else, the more you practice the better you become. It takes a good while for a brand new runner to build up endurance and stamina. If the beginner program you chose to help you train is working to help you achieve your goal, keep working the program consistently and set a goal to complete the program as designed. You will be running better, farther and faster before you know it.
  • scarletthais
    scarletthais Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So my last run was 9.35min/km which was one of my slowest. I flit between trying to go slow to keep endurance, then some days I'll go faster to try to push myself. Maybe it varies a lot for people? I'm just concerned it's gonna take me forever! But I'm not working towards anything in particular, just weight loss and fitness.
  • Moopstheterrible
    Moopstheterrible Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think that you have to define your goals. If you want to be able to run for 30 minutes non-stop, then the couch to 5K program is probably a pretty good option, because that would put you in the 30 minute range. If you'd like to be able to run an ultra-marathon, the C25K program is probably a pretty good place to start for that too, since jumping into a long run program is a recipe for injury.

I'm not advocating the C25K program, because I really don't know much about it. But I do recommend you define a goal, and find a program that will get you to that goal. Running (and this really goes for any exercise) is necessarily physically taxing. Having a well-defined program to follow will prevent it from being unnecessarily mentally taxing on top of that.

I am running my first full marathon next month, and I can't over-emphasize how nice it is to not have to ask myself how far I should run today. I just take a look at my Runkeeper app, and it tells me how far, how fast, and how long. Without that guidance, it would be exponentially easier to slack off and eventually quit. Seeing which workouts I've completed and missed is also a great motivator to push on, and it provides me with concrete evidence of my progress.

Once I meet this goal, I'll just set a new goal and find a program to get me there.

Another pointer is to not run too fast. There are two areas that running conditions: your legs and your lungs. Those areas of your body might not progress at the same pace. Meaning, your lungs might tell you to run faster, but your legs might be your limiting factor, or vice-versa. Again, your goals will dictate your workouts, but in general, if you're trying to run long distances (and long is a relative term--you know what is long for you), start out slower than you think you should. Once you've reached the distance you want to be at, then you can work on running it faster.

Don't run too far too soon. I think the rule of thumb is not to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% each week. Bottom line, if it hurts, stop. And get a good pair of running shoes. A good running store will analyze your gait and recommend the best running shoe based on whether you over or underpronate. Pro-tip: once they've recommended shoes, you can probably find them cheaper on Amazon. However, I don't recommend this as I say support your local running store. But mine are about $40 cheaper on Amazon. Just sayin'.

Finally, I recommend the Spotify running mixes. They will adjust to your cadence, and are a great way to keep a steady pace.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    So my last run was 9.35min/km which was one of my slowest. I flit between trying to go slow to keep endurance, then some days I'll go faster to try to push myself. Maybe it varies a lot for people? I'm just concerned it's gonna take me forever! But I'm not working towards anything in particular, just weight loss and fitness.

Here is where I would set specific related fitness goals. The running can be used to enhance weight loss sure, but if you want to be a better runner, being consistent in your running efforts will get your there. You are correct we all start at different places when we start learning to run or do any type of exercise for that matter..

Goal setting, time and more practice will help you achieve what you are wanting from your running.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You don't need an app, maybe just try to improve slightly every week. Like if you have to walk after 4 minutes of running this week- then next week you will go 4 minutes 10 seconds, week after 4 minutes 20 seconds. And so on. Even if you don't make it that long each interval, you have something concrete to strive for based on your own abilities. Just to make sure you are making consistent progress. Push yourself just a little bit each time. And yes, nice and slow.

I always hated the apps because they didn't match my capabilities (to run more or less). I felt like I was stopping and staring arbitrarily. But I did use the concept in my own half-assed newbie running when I first started. It works.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your goal is, but assuming it's to run a 5k, you need to work on distance THEN speed. Slow down until you have the distance nailed, then start increasing your pace. Start with a goal of 30 mins, and go from there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Is this progress much slower than what it could or should be? If I was using an app where someone shouted in my ear to "run now!" - "stop now!" - would I be on 5k already? Interested to hear your opinions and experience!

There's could, but there's no should. Unless you signed up to run a race at a certain date and the loser will be put to death, like an Aztec ritual, you should only be doing what works for you.

I did it exactly the way you did. I didn't love the idea of mixing run/walk intervals arbitrarily or recording walking as running, so I just started running and increased my distance slowly. At the time, I had just lost a bunch of weight, and I had never been able to run before, so I was pleasantly shocked to be able to. I didn't even enjoy running, I just enjoyed being capable of running.
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You are running too fast. Slow down! Then slow down some more. You should barely be going faster than you walk, many people run slower than they walk.

Ok, I stand corrected. As usual, @lorrpb is right. You should be running slower than it feels natural to, that will make it much easier.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I mix my runs up, so one day I'll run as fast as I can for as long as I can, then drop to a walk, and then repeat the sprint until I've finished five miles. Then for three or four days I'll go at a much slower pace and shoot for running the full five miles. Play around a bit and find out what works best for you.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If it's any comfort, I'm pretty similar. I started in October with Couch to 5K and had to give up around week 3? 4? It just wasn't happening. I quit the app but I kept practicing. It's now 6 months later and I can run about half a 5k and alternate walking and jogging the rest. So I don't think everyone improves at running at the same rate, and I don't think everyone can download the couch to 5k app and be ready to run a full 5k in 8 weeks.

So I think you should stick with it. It sounds like you're making progress so don't worry if your progress doesn't seem as fast as other people. Just practice as often as you can and give it your best when you're practicing. And if you know you can at least walk 5k, sign up for a race. They're super fun and can be a great motivator to practice. If the race is advertised as a 5k run/walk, there will be other walkers so it's ok if you can't run the whole thing. (Like I said, I can't run the whole thing and I've been doing one race a month since November.)
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

Another pointer is to not run too fast. There are two areas that running conditions: your legs and your lungs. Those areas of your body might not progress at the same pace. Meaning, your lungs might tell you to run faster, but your legs might be your limiting factor, or vice-versa. Again, your goals will dictate your workouts, but in general, if you're trying to run long distances (and long is a relative term--you know what is long for you), start out slower than you think you should. Once you've reached the distance you want to be at, then you can work on running it faster.
    @christopmoore or whoever runs...

Do you take into consideration the heart rate?

That is like the first thing I pay attention to. I have a HR monitor that straps around the chest and my own chart to follow.

I'm only worried about the heart, not the leg muscles.

• Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Run slower. It's easy to run fast outside and not realize it. I had the same problem then I got a garmin that told me my pace and I was running at way faster that I would on a treadmill so that is why I was tiring out so quickly.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the input guys. I tried to run as slow as I could this morning and I went about 3 times further!

About heart and lungs - I felt those improve after the first month or two, and I think that's partly why I've felt like progress elsewhere is slow. But I'm going to worry about that less.. because I think the progress is definitely there.

That's awesome!!!

I did the C25K Zen Labs app program and it took me 10 weeks, doing the app 2 days a week, as well as parkrun on Saturdays as best I could. I ran my first full 5K parkrun in December 2015. I've since done 11 half marathons, and my furthest distance run without stopping is 30 km in March.

Check out the wonderful MFP Monthly Running Challenge threads in the Challenges forum! May's thread is here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10548405/may-2017-running-challenge

My best advice is to run however you can that lets you enjoy yourself. Run because you love it.

And if you want to run longer distances, run at a pace that feels like you could run forever.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Definitely echo the advice to slow down, that makes so much difference! I'd also suggest you switch to a structured plan like the c25k (or something similar). You have improved, but by doing the run/walk/whatever structure, you aren't improving like you could if you had a structured plan designed by experts (or at least someone with more expertise than you). It will also help keep you from overdoing it (like if you feel good and decide to double your distance in one day and pay for it for the next week). The c25k is very popular for a reason. :) At the end of it (usually 9-13 weeks it seems) you'll be able to run either 5k or run for 30 minutes straight (you'll pick distance or time to aim for, NOT both). I find having measurable goals, in this case running xx:00 four times today, helps me stay on track and builds my confidence when I meet the goal!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    runningkel wrote: »
    Definitely echo the advice to slow down, that makes so much difference! I'd also suggest you switch to a structured plan like the c25k (or something similar). You have improved, but by doing the run/walk/whatever structure, you aren't improving like you could if you had a structured plan designed by experts (or at least someone with more expertise than you). It will also help keep you from overdoing it (like if you feel good and decide to double your distance in one day and pay for it for the next week). The c25k is very popular for a reason. :) At the end of it (usually 9-13 weeks it seems) you'll be able to run either 5k or run for 30 minutes straight (you'll pick distance or time to aim for, NOT both). I find having measurable goals, in this case running xx:00 four times today, helps me stay on track and builds my confidence when I meet the goal!

Echo this 1 million times. The most important think with C25K or another structured program is it gives you permission to rest(recover) before you're tired.

The most important part of training because it's the most neglected is rest and recovery. There's nothing wrong with occasionally testing yourself or racing or working to failure, but your regular training should not involve dropping laps or failing sets or reps. You should generally feel like "I could have done one more" or I could have done another 30 seconds or I could have done 5-10 more pounds.

Records and PRs are set in completion, but they're made in the gym and in the recovery session
  • Moopstheterrible
    Moopstheterrible Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @christopmoore or whoever runs...

Do you take into consideration the heart rate?

That is like the first thing I pay attention to. I have a HR monitor that straps around the chest and my own chart to follow.

I'm only worried about the heart, not the leg muscles.

I have to caveat my statement with the boilerplate "I"m not a doctor or health professional." By "legs and lungs," I was referring to the difference between the muscular and the cardiovascular systems. I personally don't use a HR monitor, mainly because every one I've tried have been pretty unreliable (showing max HR in the 250 bpm range for example. I think that'd make me dead). I find just going by how hard I'm breathing is at least as useful for me.