1000 calories a day?

Options
Is it ok to go down to 1000 calories a day? My BMR is ~1500 calories. I've heard you shouldn't go below 1200 but Idk what I should do?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    not for prolonged periods - why so low?

current weight/goal weight/age/height/activity level?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to go below your bmr.

Enter your stats on mfp. More than 50 pounds to lose? 2 pounds a week. 20-50 or so? 1 pound a week. Less than 20? 1/2 pounds a week.

Eat all the calories mfp gives you plus half of exercise calories.
  • mehreen_xo
    mehreen_xo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Why would you? Why wouldn't you want to eat as much as you can and still lose weight?

Losing weight faster leads to loose skin and lost muscles.

Just because I wanted to lose the last 10lbs a little faster haha
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is what your body needs to survive if you lay in a coma. Why would you need to eat less than that? (unless perhaps you're lying in bed all day doing absolutely nothing)

1200 is recommended as an amount that will allow you to also get sufficient macro/micronutrients for good health. You would need a very carefully planned diet to eat less and not have nutrient deficiencies...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Reason for wanting to eat so far below your BMR? Surely you mean TDEE and not BMR?
  • mehreen_xo
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »

Enter your stats on mfp. More than 50 pounds to lose? 2 pounds a week. 20-50 or so? 1 pound a week. Less than 20? 1/2 pounds a week.

What if I'm not really exercising much these few weeks? Surely I'd need to be below BMR for a calorie deficit
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    that last 10lbs is going to be hard to do - don't rush it...do you want to lose the weight and then regain it, or do it slowly

also consider looking at recomp vs. just losing weight - it may help
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »
    Is it ok to go down to 1000 calories a day? My BMR is ~1500 calories. I've heard you shouldn't go below 1200 but Idk what I should do?

Your BMR is calories used if you never got out of bed all day. Unless you are bedridden compare 1200 to something else. TDEE would include all activity including exercise.....that's more fair.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What if I'm not really exercising much these few weeks? Surely I'd need to be below BMR for a calorie deficit

Even people who aren't doing intentional exercise are still generally moving around some. Are you bed-ridden?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options

Even if you are not excercising much, your daily living activity is burning well over what you would burn in a coma.

• mehreen_xo
    Options

Weight: 140lbs
    Goal weight around: 130 or 125
    Height: 5'3
    Activity level: active
    And because I'm finding it harder to lose now so thought a greater deficit will benefit me
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Why would you? Why wouldn't you want to eat as much as you can and still lose weight?

You will be sadly disappointed by lowering your cals this low will only compound your weight loss efforts instead of losing it faster.

Its 10 pounds why the hurry? Do yourself and your body a favor, change it to .5, makes transition into maintenance much better too.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

At what expense?
  • deannalfisher
    Options

And because I'm finding it harder to lose now so thought a greater deficit will benefit me

does your active include your workouts or not? because above you said you weren't working out much right now...
  • mehreen_xo
    Options

does your active include your workouts or not? because above you said you weren't working out much right now...

No that's excluding my workouts :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

You will be sadly disappointed by lowering your cals this low will only compound your weight loss efforts instead of losing it faster.

Its 10 pounds why the hurry? Do yourself and your body a favor, change it to .5, makes transition into maintenance much better too.

This^

Fast weight loss means large deficit, with that your body is having a hard time supporting existing lean muscle mass. Do you want weight loss.....or fat loss?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    yeah 1000 is WAYYY to low

I ran your stats through the Scooby Calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

BMR - 1459
    TDEE - 2006
    Goal Calories for a 10% fat loss (slow and stead) - 1800

they recommended 135g protein/225g carbs/39g fat - but you can adjust the ratios (I used the 30%P/50%C/20%F split)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1500 and I eat 1400 cals a day. I don't feel hungry and weight loss is less than 1lbs a week. So take "Don't Eat Below Your BMR" with a grain of salt.

1200 calories is a weird "One Size Fits All" approach that I don't always agree with. A woman who is 6'2" is going to have much different nutritional needs than a woman who is 5'0".

I think women of a shorter height who don't have much to lose can play with lower numbers. As long as you're fueling your body, feeling good (not weak, lightheaded, dizzy, tired) and not losing more than 1-2lbs a week, I think it's okay to go with what works for you.

So from my point of view: go with what works for you. If you start feeling unwell or always hungry, increase your calories. Find the sweet spot where you're not too hungry but you're still losing weight consistently. And that number will be different for everyone.