1000 calories a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    My BMR is 1500 and I eat 1400 cals a day. I don't feel hungry and weight loss is less than 1lbs a week. So take "Don't Eat Below Your BMR" with a grain of salt.

1200 calories is a weird "One Size Fits All" approach that I don't always agree with. A woman who is 6'2" is going to have much different nutritional needs than a woman who is 5'0".

I think women of a shorter height who don't have much to lose can play with lower numbers. As long as you're fueling your body, feeling good (not weak, lightheaded, dizzy, tired) and not losing more than 1-2lbs a week, I think it's okay to go with what works for you.

So from my point of view: go with what works for you. If you start feeling unwell or always hungry, increase your calories. Find the sweet spot where you're not too hungry but you're still losing weight consistently. And that number will be different for everyone.

This is all around bad advice. It is never recommended to eat below your BMR with so little to lose. I will give a prime example, per the calculators my BMR is 1149 (I am very short, older). I will never eat 1149 calories or below to lose weight. I will incorporate exercise and activity so I can eat more and lose weight.

With that said 1200 is never described as a One Size Fits All. Its MFP's bare minimum for healthy and sustainable weight loss for those that fit the stats to do so..
  • mehreen_xo
    mehreen_xo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yeah 1000 is WAYYY to low

I ran your stats through the Scooby Calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

BMR - 1459
    TDEE - 2006
    Goal Calories for a 10% fat loss (slow and stead) - 1800

they recommended 135g protein/225g carbs/39g fat - but you can adjust the ratios (I used the 30%P/50%C/20%F split)

Wow thank you for your help!!!!
  • mehreen_xo
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My BMR is 1500 and I eat 1400 cals a day. I don't feel hungry and weight loss is less than 1lbs a week. So take "Don't Eat Below Your BMR" with a grain of salt.

1200 calories is a weird "One Size Fits All" approach that I don't always agree with. A woman who is 6'2" is going to have much different nutritional needs than a woman who is 5'0".

I think women of a shorter height who don't have much to lose can play with lower numbers. As long as you're fueling your body, feeling good (not weak, lightheaded, dizzy, tired) and not losing more than 1-2lbs a week, I think it's okay to go with what works for you.

So from my point of view: go with what works for you. If you start feeling unwell or always hungry, increase your calories. Find the sweet spot where you're not too hungry but you're still losing weight consistently. And that number will be different for everyone.

Yes I agree thank you! But j don't think I'll stay with 1000 calories since I KNOW I'll feel hungry and miserable hhahaha thank you for your response!!!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »
    Is it ok to go down to 1000 calories a day? My BMR is ~1500 calories. I've heard you shouldn't go below 1200 but Idk what I should do?

No, it is not ok. 1000 is much too low. Plus weight loss is not a race. Don't go below 1400 for a male or 1200 for a female.

More importantly, look at what causes you to gain weight and try to fix that so when you lose the weight, properly, you don't gain it back. Learning a healthy lifestyle is what's important.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree thank you! But j don't think I'll stay with 1000 calories since I KNOW I'll feel hungry and miserable hhahaha thank you for your response!!!

If you knew that, then I wonder why you posted the question? :*
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    someone has posted...the winner is the person who can eat the most and still lose weight...that is my ultimate goal in life :)
  • mehreen_xo
    edited May 2017
    Options

If you knew that, then I wonder why you posted the question? :*

Well to be honest only because I want the last 10-15lbs to come off quickly then I thought I could just jump to Maintenance calories at my goal weight...and I was prepared to suffer LOL

Of course I now realise I need to transition myself into the maintenance phase so I won't be doing that! I love the mfp community you all are so educating!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

This is all around bad advice. It is never recommended to eat below your BMR with so little to lose. I will give a prime example, per the calculators my BMR is 1149 (I am very short, older). I will never eat 1149 calories or below to lose weight. I will incorporate exercise and activity so I can eat more and lose weight.

With that said 1200 is never described as a One Size Fits All. Its MFP's bare minimum for healthy and sustainable weight loss for those that fit the stats to do so..

Agree to disagree. :) I've tried eating above my BMR and I lose weight at a snail's pace. I am sedentary with a desk job so if I don't stick to 1300-1400 cals per day I just don't see progress. As with OP, I don't have much to lose so it's a lot more challenging if I'm eating higher.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think you have BMR and TDEE mixed up - have you actually had it tested - that should be your base calories absolutely no exercise/activity/walking around - just simply living/breathing

• Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here are my two cents. I am the same height and currently 150. My goal is also 130. My BMR calculation is 1245 cals. My TDEE for maintenance is 1608 cals, for weight loss the calculation is 1108 cals. This calculation is based on "sedentary" lifestyle which I am fine with. I have been sloppy and eating 1200-1300 calories a day for 1 month and have lost only 1 pound. Eating that many calories does not create enough of a deficit to lose. I understand that I could "add" 100 calories per mile of walking if I wanted to. Personally, exercise makes me hungry so is counter productive to my weight loss so I backed off of that - everyone is different. I think it's just different for smaller people, I'm not sure where the generalized 1200 cal is the lowest you can go came from. I'm about to re-set my goal to 1000 calories a day and just buckle down a little. I think you would be fine to do the same.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    Here are my two cents. I am the same height and currently 150. My goal is also 130. My BMR calculation is 1245 cals. My TDEE for maintenance is 1608 cals, for weight loss the calculation is 1108 cals. This calculation is based on "sedentary" lifestyle which I am fine with. I have been sloppy and eating 1200-1300 calories a day for 1 month and have lost only 1 pound. Eating that many calories does not create enough of a deficit to lose. I understand that I could "add" 100 calories per mile of walking if I wanted to. Personally, exercise makes me hungry so is counter productive to my weight loss so I backed off of that - everyone is different. I think it's just different for smaller people, I'm not sure where the generalized 1200 cal is the lowest you can go came from. I'm about to re-set my goal to 1000 calories a day and just buckle down a little. I think you would be fine to do the same.

Your math is a bit confusing to me. If your TDEE is truly 1,608, then you could lose half a pound a week on 1,358 calories a day. If you aren't losing weight while eating 1,300, it's either because your TDEE isn't really 1,608 or you're mistaken that you're actually eating 1,300 a day.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »

Your math is a bit confusing to me. If your TDEE is truly 1,608, then you could lose half a pound a week on 1,358 calories a day. If you aren't losing weight while eating 1,300, it's either because your TDEE isn't really 1,608 or you're mistaken that you're actually eating 1,300 a day.

Agreed.
    Could possibly be eating more than 1300 and not realizing it.
    Eating 1,000 calories and not moving about will not last long x