Logging gym classes

Options
Just curious how everyone goes about logging gym classes? I have no idea on number of calories burnt and of course, the heavier you are the more you burn for same exertion, and also depends whether you've chosen the high or low intensity option for each move?
Does this make sense ? Just wondering as it's my main form of exercise and I currently do 4 different classes a week, two aerobics based, one dance and one pilates.

Thanks

Replies

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Aerobics and dance are logged as cardio. So you can log the time and effort. Pilates may be technically strength. Harder to log. I checked and there is a choice for pilates too. Cardio.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    They are all in the cardio database...
  • SciWhiz
    SciWhiz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I log all my gym classes as cardio. I wear a heart rate monitor to track my calories since I can take the same class but burn a different amount of calories based on the options I choose day to day (like you said...high or low intensity).
  • stephhcharlenee
    stephhcharlenee Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    Aerobics and dance are logged as cardio. So you can log the time and effort. Pilates may be technically strength. Harder to log. I checked and there is a choice for pilates too. Cardio.

Yes but person a who weighs 205lb and does all low intensity options will burn a different amount of calories to person b who weighs 11lbs and does high intensity. The database only does x calories per y minutes as a generic amount. In reality there could be a difference of 2-300 calories between the two people I used as an example.
    SciWhiz wrote: »
    I log all my gym classes as cardio. I wear a heart rate monitor to track my calories since I can take the same class but burn a different amount of calories based on the options I choose day to day (like you said...high or low intensity).

I guess the only true way is to use a heart rate monitor watch that factors in weight etc. I used to have one but can't find it !

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I log using the cardio option, then I edit the calories from MFP to 25% of what they estimated. Without a HRM, this was the easiest option for me and I have been happy with my weight loss results with that calorie count. Play around with it a little and see what works best for you as far as hunger/energy/results that you want to see. Good luck!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »

Yes but person a who weighs 205lb and does all low intensity options will burn a different amount of calories to person b who weighs 11lbs and does high intensity. The database only does x calories per y minutes as a generic amount. In reality there could be a difference of 2-300 calories between the two people I used as an example.
    SciWhiz wrote: »

I guess the only true way is to use a heart rate monitor watch that factors in weight etc. I used to have one but can't find it !

When you enter it MFP uses your height, weight, etc...to calculate not a generic person.
  • stephhcharlenee
    stephhcharlenee Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    When you enter it MFP uses your height, weight, etc...to calculate not a generic person.

Ahh. I thought it only used that info for your goals and progress!that makes more sense, thank you!

For arguments sake though, how would I differentiate the high to low sessions? Assuming the rate MFP gives is based on medium intensity, could I do 50% for low and 150% for high days, then medium when I've done a fair mix?
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

Ahh. I thought it only used that info for your goals and progress!that makes more sense, thank you!

For arguments sake though, how would I differentiate the high to low sessions? Assuming the rate MFP gives is based on medium intensity, could I do 50% for low and 150% for high days, then medium when I've done a fair mix?

I would not assume medium effort for MFP- I always assume that it is the "most" I could burn if I went all out and this is based on my own anecdotal evidence. So without more specific measurements of HRM, I played around with my exercise calories. At first, I ate them all back, just logged as MFP said and was maintaining weight over several weeks- I was obviously eating too much for my CICO. Then I tried not eating them back, and I found I would get too hungry and would overeat/give into temptation more often. Lately, I eat back about 25% (like I said before) and I find it a good balance for me as my goals are to lose weight in a way that is sustainable for me. So for my height and weight, MFP says 30 minutes of circuit training burns 417 calories. I just edit it to ~105 calories before I log it. Sometimes, I will go up to ~150 if I feel particularly awesome in my workout that day. But again, I do this for me. Some people go up to 50% or 75% of the calories burned as it suits their needs.

It depends on your goals. If you need the most precise number you can, you should research equipment that may help you with the best approximation. Otherwise, you could just use your own experience to tailor the calories to your needs.