Favorite post workout protein powder

BLifts38
BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
Title says it all. Looking for recommendations.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Dinner. I don't waste my calories on a drink when I can go home and eat a real meal after training
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Love Muscle Milk
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    Usually opt for MTS whey protein doesn't matter which flavor. Hands down has been the best tasting protein to me and I trust MTS nutritions. Works really well in other application likes cooking. Also had a coupon for myprotein and got an 11lb bag for like $40 and that has been decent.

On a side note funny how someone asks recommendations for protein powder and you always get the "I don't drink protein." What was the point of that.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Usually opt for MTS whey protein doesn't matter which flavor. Hands down has been the best tasting protein to me and I trust MTS nutritions. Works really well in other application likes cooking. Also had a coupon for myprotein and got an 11lb bag for like $40 and that has been decent.

On a side note funny how someone asks recommendations for protein powder and you always get the "I don't drink protein." What was the point of that.

What is MTS?
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    animal whey, soooooo tasty
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

Because people think they need protein immediately post workout, which would often require a supplement. You don't, waiting until your next meal isn't going to do any harm.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I don't lift anymore, but when I did I liked Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    broseidonkingofbrocean Posts: 180 Member
    mhwitt74 wrote: »

What is MTS?

It's a supplement company.
  • manwaffles
    manwaffles Posts: 24 Member

Because people think they need protein immediately post workout, which would often require a supplement. You don't, waiting until your next meal isn't going to do any harm.

Would you mind providing us with the science behind these claims? Because I can assure you there are plenty of scientific studies claiming the contrary.
  • manwaffles
    manwaffles Posts: 24 Member
    To Op:
    There are so many protein supps on the market nowadays you'll find everyone has their own recommendation. However, what's important to focus on is that 1. You're taking a Protein Isolate. It will ensure you're getting as close to the raw source as possible and 2. You aren't paying anyting less than $15-20 per pound. Anything less (unless you're getting something on sale, do your research) and you're very likely putting junk fillers in your body and additives that take the source further from the raw material.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    manwaffles wrote: »

Would you mind providing us with the science behind these claims? Because I can assure you there are plenty of scientific studies claiming the contrary.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5

The timing of nutrients is less important and may/may not even be beneficial. Further research needs to be conducted to truly understand the small intricacies. But considering various proteins can take several hours to break down and digest, if you are semi-regular with eating patterns, then you can assume amino acids are actively in your system.

I do a preworkout most days and dinner after lifting, but I only do the preworkout because my prior meal is 4 or 5 hours before and I am hungry.

I use MusclePharm, ON, Dymatize, etc...

And I tend to look at Labdoor.com for efficacy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    manwaffles wrote: »
    To Op:
    There are so many protein supps on the market nowadays you'll find everyone has their own recommendation. However, what's important to focus on is that 1. You're taking a Protein Isolate. It will ensure you're getting as close to the raw source as possible and 2. You aren't paying anyting less than $15-20 per pound. Anything less (unless you're getting something on sale, do your research) and you're very likely putting junk fillers in your body and additives that take the source further from the raw material.

There is nothing wrong with a concentrate. Going with an isolate may be more helpful if you struggle to digest lactose, but outside of that, there really isn't a reason to pay 2x as much.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Two things: 1) always buy a sample so that you can try before you buy a whole bunch; and 2) always cost compare with your local warehouse store (Costco) or Amazon, you will usually get a much better price than buying it from a sports nutrition type store (no sense paying an arm and a leg at a specialty store when it is the same product). Vitacost is also a good place to get high quality supplements for a reasonable price. My local Costco carries the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (chocolate or vanilla) for 10 dollars a pound.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder Vanilla, mixes with water, 50 gms protein