Myfitnesspal is crazy! It says I would gain on 2000 calories a day...

Options
Tropicoolblonde
Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Any idea why? That seems pretty low for weight gain.

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    MFP works off the info you give it. If it's wrong, something in the settings may be wrong or else what you think you know and what actually happened aren't quite the same. Recalling food and activity is never very accurate.

Either way, one day is just one day and isn't significant long term.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What are your stats? Height, weight, activity level? I would gain on 2000 if I didn't exercise, my maintenance is around the 1700 mark sedentary. I'm female 5'5" and 143 pounds with a desk job. I do exercise on top of this to earn some extra cals.

edit: the 2000 cal number is banded around alot (mostly on food packaging) but it makes alot of assumptions, the main one being that you're moderately active.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Any idea why? That seems pretty low for weight gain.

LOL. I would absolutely gain on that. You probably need to do a little research. :)
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 11", 160, desk job, but go to the gym daily, and I maintain on about 1900 net.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would totally gain on 2000 a day. I maintain on 1600.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that most people get that number stuck in their head as the "ideal" number of calories because we see so often "Based on a 2,000 calorie diet".
    But that's just a very general average. Depending on your gender, weight, height, and activity level, it could be much lower or much higher.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I maintain on 1600. On 2000 I would be gaining 3.5lbs per month.
  • ESinc1118
    ESinc1118 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I stopped paying attention to the gain estimator after completing my diary...It's told me consistently that I would gain or maintain if I ate 1100 calories a day for the next five weeks... :/ clearly something is off!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I would for sure gain on 2000 cals per day. What are your stats?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    5'6" and I would gain if I were sedentary on 2K
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If I was completely sedentary and never exercised, I would absolutely gain on 2,000. I'm 5'3", 24 year old woman. With my active job, I maintain my current weight on 2,034. When I reach goal, I expect my maintenance to be around 1,800, give or take a little.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sounds right. I'm 5'7", 219lb and I maintain at 1,400 calories. More than that and I gain.