Does anyone else notice...

Options
On the weekends, I get considerably more sleep, anywhere from 9-11 hrs opposed to my 6-8 hours during the work week. Every time I weigh myself Saturday and Sunday morning, I weigh less than I did during the week. Could getting enough sleep actually contribute to this? Or is this just a fluke? its happened the past 4 weeks, so just wondering if this happens to anyone else!

Replies

• japinso
    japinso Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it is more fluky, anyway I always see fluctuations day to day and over the week. Sometimes are much as 5lbs. It kinda just depends on what you eat and how much. If you are laying there longer not eating that would certainly make a difference. It could also depend on when you are weighing yourself. Do you do it at the same time when every you do it?
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Yeah I weigh myself as soon as I get up every morning, so I see the fluctuations throughout the week I track my weight every day with Libra, so I just thought this was strange lol
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    You probably pee more after sleeping longer. >_>

That's my best guess!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I sleep about the same but drink a lot more beer on the weekend so I always gain.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh my lowest around noon/2PM (if I haven't had anything to eat/drink). I get up a lot closer to noon on the weekends than I do during the week.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I believe that amount of sleep and stress levels absolute effect weight loss (cue 500 MFPers asking for peer-reviewed studies). That said, I doubt it change your weight overnight or even in a two-day period. I could be wrong about both. No peer-reviewed studies for either.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    I kinda figured it was just a fluke, just interesting to see how its happened for four weeks in a row. lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    They're probably just your "light" days...mine tend to be Wednesday and Thursday...I fairly consistently weigh the least on Wednesday and Thursday relative to any other day of the week.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They're probably just your "light" days...mine tend to be Wednesday and Thursday...I fairly consistently weigh the least on Wednesday and Thursday relative to any other day of the week.

Yeah thats true, im not saying I dont lose other days of the week, I do Apparently this only happens to me lmao
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I eat considerably more on the weekends so I doubt this would be the case for me.
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Yeah thats true, im not saying I dont lose other days of the week, I do Apparently this only happens to me lmao

It happens to me too! I also weigh daily and track using Libra, but Saturday is always my lightest day. Then I'll hover around that weight all week until Saturday rolls around again, when almost without exception, I see another drop. This has been going on about 2 months now
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    A_Rene86 wrote: »

It happens to me too! I also weigh daily and track using Libra, but Saturday is always my lightest day. Then I'll hover around that weight all week until Saturday rolls around again, when almost without exception, I see another drop. This has been going on about 2 months now

Okayyyy its not just me lol. Maybe this is just our "light day" which is fine by me, I was just wondering if getting the right amount of sleep was actually making an impact on me.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think sleep is a huge part of weight loss. Maybe not scientifically but with more sleep I eat less, have more energy and that results in more movement.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    If you're getting up later, it's been longer since you last ate. Your TDEE is doing some of that work, and your bladder is responsible for the rest.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    I think sleep is a huge part of weight loss. Maybe not scientifically but with more sleep I eat less, have more energy and that results in more movement.

Totally agree'd with you on that point. Sleep is monumental for me when it comes to performance and I have to be able to perform at 100% all the time.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It IS scientific. They've done numerous studies that show your body craves food more when you are sleep deprived, in an effort to provide more energy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    It IS scientific. They've done numerous studies that show your body craves food more when you are sleep deprived, in an effort to provide more energy.

I know this is definitely true for me!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,098 Member
    Options
    In addition to some of the above (especially what @clicketykeys said most succinctly), your lost weight mostly leaves your body through exhalation. No lie. You burn it, it goes out the chimney, um, er, your nose.

When you wake up after a longer sleep, it's been a long time since you ate or drank, you've been exhaling steadily, expelling both "weight" and moisture all without adding any in the last few hours, plus you've been sweating a bit (expelling even more moisture), so you're a little on the dehydrated end of your normal range.

A longer sleep may also have beneficial effects on cortisol, energy level, and who knows what else that will improve weight loss results, but those would take longer to show up than just the next morning.