What do you do to keep from over eating on long days?

Options
I mean the obvious answer would be sleep but... that's the the answer for me. I work strange hours and on the weekends I work late at night. Friday's are especially hard since I get up with my kids around 7am and don't go to bed until around 4am. When I get off at 3am my calories are gone but I'm starving! Do I just eat or should I try not too?

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I would eat, but I would consider it my "breakfast" for the next day, or have a small meal, and id fit it into the next day's calories, when you might not have such a long day. If I worked that schedule I might try considering my day from when I wake up - midnight each night and see how that works for me. If you dont see a lose it may not work. but its an idea.
  • andiesue08
    andiesue08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    And that's the thing if I start over at midnight then I struggle even harder on Saturdays.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you're starving, I think you should eat. Would you be able to eat 100 fewer calories daily Monday through Thursday, or save some exercise calories throughout the week to give yourself 300-400 for small meal? Many MFP users eat lighter during the week to so they can have heavier meals or drinks for weekends or social events.
  • andiesue08
    Options
    Ooohhh!!! That might be the answer! I never thought of saving calories from Monday to use on the weekend! I also don't use exercise calories so that might be helpful too! I am just getting started back up and am facing this struggle so I'm not being resourceful yet. Lol thanks for the insight and tips!
  • andiesue08
    Options
    And creamy sim trying to up my water so that might be key too
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Low calorie high volume foods like cabbage or cucumbers helps me
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and try to not eat until as late as possible. Also i like zero calorie energy drinks to keep me from snacking, also tea and water.

If youve used up all your calories and are hungry maybe take a look at what youre eating. Try playing around with macros, carbs fats protiens, and see if eating more of one macro will keep you full, longer, and use less calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    andiesue08 wrote: »
    Ooohhh!!! That might be the answer! I never thought of saving calories from Monday to use on the weekend! I also don't use exercise calories so that might be helpful too! I am just getting started back up and am facing this struggle so I'm not being resourceful yet. Lol thanks for the insight and tips!

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

• brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Keep your mouth busy. Water, tea, hard candies, suckers, chew on straws or tooth picks.