Moved to America, now struggling to get under control

Options

Replies

• bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also eating out, everything seems excessive even the salads... any ideas?

This is VERY TRUE about America. We are the land of excess. Most menus here have "low cal" options that are 500 and under at least at the popular restaurant chains.

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    darbydean wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me after moving to the US from Australia. I didn't think i was eating any differently to what I was in AU, Then all of a sudden I found my self needing to buy size 18 clothes. I found even though the foods look the same the ingredients are very different. Sugar or fructose is in almost anything and very hard to avoid. I started getting used to the larger serving sizes so eating more. Also the culture here in Florida is to drive EVERYWHERE. There are almost no foot paths if I wanted to go for a walk, so my every day exercise was very much reduced.

BUT... It is possible to find better foods. Avoid the "Diet" & 100 Cal foods, most are so high in sugar and salt you may as well just go eat a big mac. Look for local farmers markets, Whole Foods and Trader Joes are good options. Cook more at home and always keep a healthy snack with you to avoid eating out.

It did take some time to find foods that I both enjoy and wont make me obese, but iv gone from a size 18 down to a 10 over the last 6 month... Good Luck!!

I think this is something that we don't give enough credence to. I have no idea if it is still accurate or not, but about 12 or so years ago, I was comparing a can of soda made in the US to one of the same brand, same size, manufactured in a different region (I think Turkey, but I could be wrong). There were six ingredients in the 'local' version and 22 in the US version. Obviously, this is one example and is not going to be the case for every food/ drink item across the world, but it's worth some benefit of the doubt IMO that there may be things in the US food system that contribute to the tendency of people to gain weight when they move here for the first time. YES, it's all CICO in the end, but if you grow up eating a certain way and then assume that food that look to be the same ARE the same, then your CI can very easily outpace your CO. There was a video someone posted on here at some point comparing two sets of food covering three meals. They looked pretty much the same, but one was nearly twice the calories of the other. Small differences in amounts let to major differences in calories consumed by the end of the day.

That's not to say that anyone is *blaming* the US for their weight gain, but I think it's fair to say that our particular food culture could be a contributing factor if you're not used to it and are ALSO not prepared to counteract it.

Perhaps, willing to concede the benefit of the doubt, but everything is marked on the labels, with serving size and calories per serving. Weighing and measuring your food and drinks should be pretty self explanatory. As adults, there is no one to blame, besides ourselves for our own weight. Blaming a culture or country is ridiculous.

• 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Also eating out, everything seems excessive even the salads... any ideas?

This is VERY TRUE about America. We are the land of excess. Most menus here have "low cal" options that are 500 and under at least at the popular restaurant chains.

True, portion sizes are huge at most restaurants, but again, personal responsibility. Eat part of your meal and take the rest home for another meal or meals. Or simply make your own meals and eat the correct portions.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    goobery wrote: »
    I moved here from AU and found the same thing. The food is quite different, portion sizes and hard to find healthy alternatives. I also found everything, well nearly everything has high fructose corn syrup which is not good for the waist line. Plus all the hidden sugar and salt in foods. Even the bread tastes sweet compared to what we are used to.

It took no time to put it on and even longer to take it off. My advice, read the labels on everything, if you don't know what it is then avoid it.

Complete bs
    How do you find Australian and/or UK food compares then, in your visits there and here, then?

It's irrelevant you can buy anything you want in the US
    Ah. So have you been to Australia or not?

Let's recap. A poster describes their experiences with adjusting to US food culture, and made suggestions for how the OP could adjust too, as have others. Recommendations have all basically been to be mindful during shopping, without allowing yourself to be lulled into a false sense of security by knowledge of the calorie counts in an equivalent product elsewhere, as they always are on this kind of thread.

I think reducing all that to "complete bs" reflects very poorly on you.

Another bs post, take responsibility, count calories, don't get fat, it's simple
    I fail to see how discussing pitfalls has anything to do with not taking responsibility.

Claiming that it's difficult to find low cal food in a place like Denver seems questionable to me.

I live in Chicago which is likely less health conscious than Denver, and it's incredibly simple if one wants to do it.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

In my opinion it's what your used to. It takes time to adapt to a new country/ culture etc. for those of you that are born and bred in the US how about some consideration for others that are not used to it. If the shoe was on the other foot do you think we would be as nasty???

Not use to shopping in a grocery store when they are from the UK?
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    "I struggle to find low calorie foods here. " was a line from the op's original post

Complete bs
    How does that work? Have you been following the OP around? Do you know her shopping trolley is actually full of low cal foods?

Or do you mean that you, in your home culture and country, don't struggle to find low cal foods and that therefore, no one else could have difficulty? It doesn't work like that!

If a newcomer to a large, multi-floor gym asked you for help and said, "I struggled to find the kettlebells", would you say it had to be "complete bs" because you know where they were?

Or what about someone new in the workplace, who was struggling with finding his way around? Would you say "complete bs" to "I struģgled to find the HR department"?

Navigating a new country is rather more complex, and ordinary rules of courtesy apply to immigrants too. Don't get defensive, SHARE your expertise.

Grocery stores are fairly universal
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I moved here from AU and found the same thing. The food is quite different, portion sizes and hard to find healthy alternatives. I also found everything, well nearly everything has high fructose corn syrup which is not good for the waist line. Plus all the hidden sugar and salt in foods. Even the bread tastes sweet compared to what we are used to.

It took no time to put it on and even longer to take it off. My advice, read the labels on everything, if you don't know what it is then avoid it.

Complete bs
    How do you find Australian and/or UK food compares then, in your visits there and here, then?

Let's recap. A poster describes their experiences with adjusting to US food culture, and made suggestions for how the OP could adjust too, as have others. Recommendations have all basically been to be mindful during shopping, without allowing yourself to be lulled into a false sense of security by knowledge of the calorie counts in an equivalent product elsewhere, as they always are on this kind of thread.

Another bs post, take responsibility, count calories, don't get fat, it's simple
    I fail to see how discussing pitfalls has anything to do with not taking responsibility.

Claiming that it's difficult to find low cal food in a place like Denver seems questionable to me.

I live in Chicago which is likely less health conscious than Denver, and it's incredibly simple if one wants to do it.
    That's what I say when my father comes round my house and claims he can't find anything. ;)

"Dad, the kitchen scissors are right in front of you", I say... But they're not where he would put them, so, he genuinely struggles. We won't even get on to my cousin's American husband, who cannot handle roundabouts. ;)

Rewriting all your internal protocols for how life works in response to massive changes can be hard. Meanwhile, I shop at five different supermarkets over the course of a fortnight, and I can only find crumble mix in three of them. I'm certain the other two stock it, but can I find it? Hell no.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I can sympathise with you as I noticed while living in the US it is almost impossible to buy healthy convenience foods. We take for granted the fact we can pop into an M&S attached to a petrol station and buy a 150cal five bean salad or fresh sushi. In the US there are no healthy fast foods. You have to go to cafes inside Whole Foods or pack your own food from home.

For eating out my husband and I would ALWAYS split a meal...with him being twice my size he'd eat about two thirds and I'd eat a third and we'd both be satiated. I did like Panera though because you can buy half salads and half sandwiches. They do this because people are encouraged to have a half salad with a soup or a half sandwich. I'd just buy a half salad or half sandwich and eat that by itself. Don't fall for the Oanera ploy of do you want a pastry for only $1 more? (Noooooo)

In the US the portion sizes are massive but over time, they don't look so massive you get desensitised into thinking you're starving yourself. Scientific studies have also shown that if you are presented with more food, you'll eat more food so that is why splitting a meal or just ordering a half size up front is you best bet to not overeat. Too, some restaurants have menus for senior citizens that tend to be smaller sized and lower calorie...i.e. Two egg omelette instead of the standard ridiculously huge three or four egg omelette. I've asked if I can order them before and usually the restaurant will let you. At times, if my husband and I don't want the same meal, we'll each order an appetiser and a side salad as our meal which works too. Follow just the portioning rules on cheat days..make cheat days be about eating what you want but not overeating/gorging on whatever you want.

if you think our portion sizes are big now you should have seen them 20-30 years ago. most things that are prepackaged here have SHRUNK in size.we used to be able to supersize at mcdonalds,they dont do that now,but its still all about calories in vs calories out.I have never been to a gas station here in the us where they sell fresh sushi.he fast food restaurants in the us most of them do have healthier options,its not all "bad" foods
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Complete bs

That's what I say when my father comes round my house and claims he can't find anything. ;)

"Dad, the kitchen scissors are right in front of you", I say... But they're not where he would put them, so, he genuinely struggles. We won't even get on to my cousin's American husband, who cannot handle roundabouts. ;)

Grocery stores are not all arranged the same way, so I have to look around when going to a new one sometimes, especially if it's much bigger than one I'm used to. But that's WAY different than claiming that stuff is not there, and you can ask a question of the people who work there.

As for quick serve restaurants, that's easy too. It's not like she's in the middle of nowhere (speaking of which, I had to find stuff that was diet-friendly in the middle of Mississippi this weekend). ;-)