55 and over Weight loss

Hi! My name is Sue I would like to know if anyone in my age group has a problem with Wei8 Gain? Iam eating the same and walk at work over 10 Thousand Steps each work day Why do I still gain Weight?

Replies

• cmswampscott
    cmswampscott Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Sue, I'm Carol and I feel your pain. I just started a new job and have been eating out of the vending machine at work. Just getting back to MFP for a real commitment but need support :)
  • fattylivis
    fattylivis Posts: 82 Member
    Seems that our metabolisms slow down once we hit the 50's. Try changing your diet, introduce new foods. Feel free to add me. Good luck and believe in yourself!!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Yes weight loss is much slower as you get older, it still can be done but st s slower pace. Good luck
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Weight loss is always calories in vs. calories out. As we age we have a tendency to lose lean muscle mass (use it or lose it). Muscle burns calories at rest (fat does not). So, you want to lose weight, but keep muscle loss to a minimum.

Look up your TDEE (maintenance) and take a modest cut. Weigh or measure portions and log them. A digital food scale is going to be the most accurate for solids & semi-solids.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

To help keep lean muscle - adequate protein, strength/resistance training and a moderate deficit.