Insane amount of weight gain over 36 hours

Options
So I've been overweight all my life. Luckily I'm a large guy and don't look as heavy as I am. However, I finally put in a lot of effort, went to the gym everyday for a month, ate well and lost 15lbs. I felt great and wanted to keep going but I had an accident and I'm still not fully recovered.

I've taken 3 weeks off from the gym and have been focusing more on my diet as I cannot fully move my shoulder. My wounds closed and I'm finally able to do some working out but I'm avoiding the weights and have started with running and HIIT instead.

Okay so to my problem (this was a long lead up sorry). Ive been weighing myself constantly as motivation. Generally, for the last week, I would weigh in at 230-235lbs depending on the time if the day. Yesterday morning, I was at 233lbs. Last night I went to bed at 239lbs. This morning I was 242lbs and Im in bed right now and I'm 245 lbs.

I haven't altered any of my habits. I know it's impossible to gain that much weight overnight but I feel bloated and much heavier. I usually drink 4-6L of water a day and I've found myself drinking less just because I'm not as thirsty and constantly feel bloated and full.

Im starting to worry as my weight seems to be going upwards nonstop and I don't know what's causing it.

Replies

• renpei96
    renpei96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    tldrI somehow managed to gain 12lbs in 36 hours and far exceeding my normal fluctuations.
  • jessikabrook
    jessikabrook Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurments also? It could be a number of things - have you eaten anything differently? bad sleep? water retention? weather? There are lots of variables to take into account with this. As you said you feel bloated and full, so it that sounds like its your issue. I'd really only worry if you start to get super uncomfortable or it goes on for a longer period of time. You can always chat to your doctor if you feel there is an underlying issue!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,239 Member
    Options
    renpei96 wrote: »
    Okay so to my problem (this was a long lead up sorry). Ive been weighing myself constantly as motivation. Generally, for the last week, I would weigh in at 230-235lbs depending on the time if the day. Yesterday morning, I was at 233lbs. Last night I went to bed at 239lbs. This morning I was 242lbs and Im in bed right now and I'm 245 lbs.

I haven't altered any of my habits. I know it's impossible to gain that much weight overnight but I feel bloated and much heavier. I usually drink 4-6L of water a day and I've found myself drinking less just because I'm not as thirsty and constantly feel bloated and full.

1) Weigh yourself at one time each day. I prefer doing it second thing in the morning. Weight naturally fluctuates during the day.

2) What is your salt intake like?

• Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You either need to not weigh yourself every day, OR view it as an overall trend with fluctuations. Otherwise it will drive you crazy. Not only did you just re-start exercise (which = water retention), but you're also still probably healing (which again, can cause water retention). There could be a ton of reasons why the scale would go up a lot in one day. A lot of salt or alcohol the day before, activity, or even just needing a good *kitten*.

If you decide to keep weighing every day look into a tracking app such as HappyScale or Libra, and pay attention to the trend, not the fluctuations. If you're in a deficit, your overall weight will eventually go down.

Edited to add: if it doesn't go down tomorrow or the next day, might be worth it to check in with your doctor, especially since you mentioned feeling uncomfortable. Not much a weight loss forum can do to help you there.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations happen as your body is healing. Wounds closing could mean temporary fluid buildup even if you don't notice the swelling. If this is accompanied by painful swelling you may need to see a doctor to check for infections, but from experience, fluid buildup from serious wounds can take up to 3 months to go away.
  • renpei96
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

I do understand fluctuations and I generally keep track of the time of day and I would, say, compare morning weight with another mornings, or evening with another evening. And it generally increased through the day, reaching the highest after dinner and then reaching the lowest in the morning. My concern is that its been doing nothing but going up.

Sorry that was bad phrasing on my part. My wounds closed a while ago. It's finally mostly healed. My remaining injury is my rotator cuff.

I have been lightly jogging prior although not at the same degree so perhaps it is just water retention? As for exact time frames, I'm on my fourth day of HIIT. I'm not sure if 12lbs of water in 36 hours is normal though.

It could potentially be salt perhaps. Although I havent been altering my diet and I use very little salt. I may have consumed salt without knowing!?

If it is of any significance. My scale tells my body composition. Two days ago, I had 24% body fat, 40.1% muscle, and around 55% water. My last weighing put me at 26.5% BF, 38% muscle and around 52% water
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,239 Member
    Options
    It could potentially be salt perhaps. Although I havent been altering my diet and I use very little salt. I may have consumed salt without knowing!?

If, as you say, you ... "feel bloated and much heavier. I usually drink 4-6L of water a day and I've found myself drinking less just because I'm not as thirsty and constantly feel bloated and full."

You may need to consume more salt or electrolytes in general.

You say you've been lightly jogging? What's the weather like where you are? Is it warm?
  • renpei96
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

If, as you say, you ... "feel bloated and much heavier. I usually drink 4-6L of water a day and I've found myself drinking less just because I'm not as thirsty and constantly feel bloated and full."

You say you've been lightly jogging? What's the weather like where you are? Is it warm?

Hmmm. Fair enough! I'll keep an eye on things and see. I suppose it isn't the end of the world. Just haven't seen a spike this large. Ever.
  • renpei96
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Oh that's awkward. My second paragraph got cut out. It's been warm up until lately. Really chilly today and had a thunderstorm warning yesterday
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Your scales might be off.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!

I do understand fluctuations and I generally keep track of the time of day and I would, say, compare morning weight with another mornings, or evening with another evening. And it generally increased through the day, reaching the highest after dinner and then reaching the lowest in the morning. My concern is that its been doing nothing but going up.

Sorry that was bad phrasing on my part. My wounds closed a while ago. It's finally mostly healed. My remaining injury is my rotator cuff.

I have been lightly jogging prior although not at the same degree so perhaps it is just water retention? As for exact time frames, I'm on my fourth day of HIIT. I'm not sure if 12lbs of water in 36 hours is normal though.

If it is of any significance. My scale tells my body composition. Two days ago, I had 24% body fat, 40.1% muscle, and around 55% water. My last weighing put me at 26.5% BF, 38% muscle and around 52% water

I agree. I think you should speak to your doctor.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you gained 12lbs that quickly either your scales off or you need to go to the Dr because something wrong with your kidneys or heart.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Be persistent with your doctor as you have been with us as you have been meticulous with your tracking.

Mention all your symptoms not just the weight. Doctors should follow up with those vague symptoms.