Disability bump in the road, need support, no family

karliexrose
karliexrose Posts: 57 Member
edited May 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hi people.
If you could imagine, years ago I was an honor graduate student from the Fitness and Health promotion programs. Well on my way to a healthy future, plans in mind.
At 22 years old, a nebulous disease began to run rampant in me. Currently 24 and still in the diagnosis process, at this point chronic muscular inflammation and tendonitis has damaged my wrists, thumbs, ankle, and now is in my fingers as well as my hips. As you might imagine this makes moving, or virtually anything - difficult. I am in pain at rest -> pain during movement - it does not matter.

So, that being what it is. I still need to lose weight. During the stressful years I gained about 50lbs. When you're only 5' you definitely round out like a potato, hahaa. As this was happening my family continued to fall apart and no one bothered to support to talk to me during this intense time. My last interaction with my father was at Christmas when he attempted to assault me for unjustified reasons. A there is no justifiable reason to abuse your sick daughter, especially when she is already defending herself from abusive nature. Thankfully that's over with. Stood up for myself and GTFO. My mother, very cold to me.

Now, I am trying to gain friends, gain things to care about.
Have people in my life whom which I encourage and encourage me.
I'm an open book, share with me your life if you so desire.

Your encouragement, support and friendship means a lot of me.

Replies

• Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Do not let the monster define you! You define it, so do me a favor put it back in the cage, and go get your health back! Yes you can!
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    I am a severe asthmatic and was recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis in my lungs. It sucks. The stress and pain unbearable at times. You have to roll with it. You have two choices in life. WEAR OUT OR RUST OUT.
  • nemiesha01
    nemiesha01 Posts: 10 Member
    You're incredibly brave for realizing your self worth and getting out of that situation it makes it 10x harder when it's people who are supposed to love and support you unconditionally. I can't pretend to know what you are going through as I have never gone through your experiences but I just wanted to tell you that you are what you attract. You seem to be putting positive vibes out in the universe and you will be stronger from it. It may not feel like it today or even in the next coming days but you really will be. Hold you're head high and do what you can do listen to your body and your mind. Your vibes will hopefully attract the kind of people you need in your life.
  • karliexrose
    Leenizi129 wrote: »
    Do not let the monster define you! You define it, so do me a favor put it back in the cage, and go get your health back! Yes you can!

Thank you. that kind of makes me tear up.
    I totally am not trying as hard as I could be, even with my limitations and I full on know it - and that still doesn't get me going. Perhaps thats the depression? Hard man, watching my food diaries tell me I'm just going to keep gaining if things don't change has been helping.

It's full on scary to move because I can lift something and *kitten* up my arm for a long time. It's insane.
  • karliexrose
    I am a severe asthmatic and was recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis in my lungs. It sucks. The stress and pain unbearable at times. You have to roll with it. You have two choices in life. WEAR OUT OR RUST OUT.

I'm sorry about your conditions, your dedication however is very inspiring. You're right, like they say: "You don't use it, you lose it." Sitting around isn't going to help. Resting adequately for the condition yes, but that's not all day. :/ It's just scary because I used to be able to workout no problem, loved lifting weights. Now I can lift a weight and *kitten* up my arm or shoulder for a long time (it has happened) and it's horrific.

It does not incentivize, and ugh... modifying... sometimes I feel like I'm doing nothing. I guess that's a bad mindset.
  • karliexrose
    nemiesha01 wrote: »
    You're incredibly brave for realizing your self worth and getting out of that situation it makes it 10x harder when it's people who are supposed to love and support you unconditionally. I can't pretend to know what you are going through as I have never gone through your experiences but I just wanted to tell you that you are what you attract. You seem to be putting positive vibes out in the universe and you will be stronger from it. It may not feel like it today or even in the next coming days but you really will be. Hold you're head high and do what you can do listen to your body and your mind. Your vibes will hopefully attract the kind of people you need in your life.

Thank you for your kind words, you are such a sweet heart :) I agree, it is shocking in one way learning that family can be toxic. However to me family is subjective, I recently had friends of mine offer to do holiday dinners together (hub not too happy because those two are vegan and we are not, lol he's really picky) but I love the togetherness. Family is who you make it! I am glad that who I am is able to attract people like you, because having people like you in their lives is wonderful. Thank you for your motivation, it has lifted my spirits.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    So I'm no expert and I just barely started fasting like seriously just a few days ago so take this with a grain of salt but I've had issues with my hand/wrist I think it's either carpal tunnel or arthritis (I've never had it looked at) and after my first fast I noticed it felt better (inflammation went down a bit, less cracking just felt all around better) ofcourse in not doctor and I don't know about your specific condition and needs but since u mentioned inflammation I just wanted to share this because for some reason fasting helped a bit.. ofcourse check with your doctor to make sure you meet all your needs and also if u decide to fast your supposed to eat more the next day to make up for it and make sure you still get proper nutrition. Hope you get well soon best wishes .
  • karliexrose
    hzl22 wrote: »
    So I'm no expert and I just barely started fasting like seriously just a few days ago so take this with a grain of salt but I've had issues with my hand/wrist I think it's either carpal tunnel or arthritis (I've never had it looked at) and after my first fast I noticed it felt better (inflammation went down a bit, less cracking just felt all around better) ofcourse in not doctor and I don't know about your specific condition and needs but since u mentioned inflammation I just wanted to share this because for some reason fasting helped a bit.. ofcourse check with your doctor to make sure you meet all your needs and also if u decide to fast your supposed to eat more the next day to make up for it and make sure you still get proper nutrition. Hope you get well soon best wishes .

Hey there! Thanks for your response.

If you're having problems with your wrists, ongoing, you should definitely get it looked at.
    I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between fasting and reducing inflammation, because time and rest also tends to bring inflammation down.

Hehee I think I love food too much to fast :P but I do need to clean up my eating habits a bit. It's so harrd when it's hard to prep/
    But I hope that you are able to see someone to help you get some treatment for your wrist! :)
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 107 Member
    Hi! My name is Lore and I would be happy to correspond with you on here. I too am disabled. I have no cartilage in my knees, have a degenerative back disorder and have a host of other things wrong with me. I cannot exercise too much either. I'm going to be starting pool therapy at the end of this month. I live in Northern California and I'm 57 years old. Feel free to write back should you wish to.
  • hzl22

If you're having problems with your wrists, ongoing, you should definitely get it looked at.
    I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between fasting and reducing inflammation, because time and rest also tends to bring inflammation down.

Hehee I think I love food too much to fast :P but I do need to clean up my eating habits a bit. It's so harrd when it's hard to prep/
    But I hope that you are able to see someone to help you get some treatment for your wrist! :)

Rest definitely helps ... I've actually noticed my fasting benefits work best when I sleep fasted and I'll notice the benefits in the morning so I think it's a double whammy . In fact I think that's when you reap all your benefits .. when you sleep because that's when your body heals . I love food too .. one reason I like fasting is cuz I get to eat a lot on my not fasting days and gives me something to look forward to. Well I've just started hopefully I can keep it up but so far I've really liked it .. we shall see how it goes. I sent you a friend request :)
  • karliexrose

Rest definitely helps ... I've actually noticed my fasting benefits work best when I sleep fasted and I'll notice the benefits in the morning so I think it's a double whammy . In fact I think that's when you reap all your benefits .. when you sleep because that's when your body heals . I love food too .. one reason I like fasting is cuz I get to eat a lot on my not fasting days and gives me something to look forward to. Well I've just started hopefully I can keep it up but so far I've really liked it .. we shall see how it goes. I sent you a friend request :)

I'm glad you've found something that works for you! If you find that it's not going as well as you'd like, there are theories that if you put yourself in a calorie deficient by fasting, your body is unsure when it will get it's food so it kicks into survival mode and holds onto more fat as a mechanism to keep us alive. :D That's awesome, keep up the great motivation it seems you're liking it!

Awesome! I got it :) Accepted.
  • hzl22
    Yea I keep hearing that too hopefully it won't happen since I'm eating quite a bit when not fasting so my weekly calorie goals are the same as if I wasn't fasting so I'm definitely not starving I find is more of a discipline type issue instead of a hunger issue .. we shall see what happens
  • fat2fit302015
    fat2fit302015 Posts: 22 Member
    I too as disabled I have syringomelia. I'm wheelchair bound. I'm only losing weight thru diet. 60lbs to lose sounds like a monster and although I lost this before when I was just on one crutch I was then a gym rat too. I've lost nearly a stone eating under my tdee. Food scales are a great tool. Feel free to add me.