Help with weird weight loss or lack of

Options
I eat 1200 calories a day. Weigh 312 and 5'7 and 37 years. I eat a high protein, low sugar and carb diet and stick to healthy fats. Each Friday I weigh in and lose 1 lb. Then on Friday night I binge cuz I'm pissed about the 1 lb. I sleep in on Saturday and weigh in again and drop 2 more lbs. Then the week repeats with eating perfect, Friday weigh in with a total week loss of 1 lb from the Friday before (but still up 1 lb from Saturday, binge and the next day I weigh in with a 2 lb loss.

So, what am I doing right or wrong? Should I be eating more carbs, calories and sugar to lose more weight each week? Or am I losing more on Saturday because I actually slept and released some stress? Whatever it is it's a ongoing weekly pattern so it can't be water weight or something random.

Please help!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Maybe weigh yourself on Monday. Weight loss is a bumpy line going downward.
  • waxwingdesign
    waxwingdesign Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you tried checking in at IIFYM.com? Depending on what you are trying to achieve, they may be able to help pinpoint your issue.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    What/how much you eat will have effect on your weight many days after the day you ate it.
    I've been doing this for more than a year with spreadsheets and what-not but haven't been able to find any obvious correlation.
    So how much you ate on Friday has no effect on your Saturday weight so to speak. It was a coincidence most likely that it happened like that with you these couple of weeks.
    Track your trend as the above poster suggested and don't pay attention to any such fluctuations. They are very, very unpredictable.
  • jludwick78
    jludwick78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Google weight loss woosh.
  • duanehcpiercey
    duanehcpiercey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jesika0731 wrote: »
    I eat 1200 calories a day. Weigh 312 and 5'7 and 37 years. I eat a high protein, low sugar and carb diet and stick to healthy fats. Each Friday I weigh in and lose 1 lb. Then on Friday night I binge cuz I'm pissed about the 1 lb. I sleep in on Saturday and weigh in again and drop 2 more lbs. Then the week repeats with eating perfect, Friday weigh in with a total week loss of 1 lb from the Friday before (but still up 1 lb from Saturday, binge and the next day I weigh in with a 2 lb loss.

So, what am I doing right or wrong? Should I be eating more carbs, calories and sugar to lose more weight each week? Or am I losing more on Saturday because I actually slept and released some stress? Whatever it is it's a ongoing weekly pattern so it can't be water weight or something random.

Please help!

I believe you're eating too little calorie wise... target 7cal/lb up to 300. So ... that would be 2100 per day... when your less that that.. your body is in major slow down mode metabolism wise... and believes it not going to get food...

Boost to 2100 and move three times a week... try tgat for just 2 weeks and you'll see some results

DP
  • jesika0731
    jesika0731 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thank you!

http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/
    jludwick78 wrote: »
    Google weight loss woosh.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is it's a ongoing weekly pattern so it can't be water weight or something random.

Brains love finding patterns; that doesn't preclude it being random.

Sleeping in causes significant water weight loss. You exhale water vapor, sweat, and accumulate urine as time passes, and the later in the day you weigh in, without having eaten or drunk in the meantime, the less water will be in your body when you get on the scale. I almost always have a lower weight on the weekends than during the week.

I agree with the suggestions to eat enough during the week that you don't binge. Binge-and-restrict is the kind of thing that can eat you, if you let it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Please help!

Why are you pissed about the 1 pound?? :/ You should be happy, and ensure that you don't do anything to screw it up! Not binge...that just wipes out your loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Sleeping in causes significant water weight loss. You exhale water vapor, sweat, and accumulate urine as time passes, and the later in the day you weigh in, without having eaten or drunk in the meantime, the less water will be in your body when you get on the scale. I almost always have a lower weight on the weekends than during the week.

Yes! My dogs need to be let out around 5 a.m. no matter the day. I tend to get up on Saturday to let them out, go to the bathroom and then weigh myself before having a glass or two of water and going back to bed. When I get up a few hours later I then repeat the bathroom/weigh-in routine and, nine times out of ten, my weight is down .5-1 pounds from the 5 a.m. weigh-in.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You're looking at this all wrong. Let me give you my background January 1st 2016 my weight was 288 pounds my current weight is 208 and I've been maintaining that approximately 8 months.

You totally need to relook at the way you're approaching this. Just like you didn't gain all the weight quickly over time you're not going to lose it quickly. 1 -2 pounds/week is the healthy way to do it.

In my opinion if you weigh about 300 pounds and you're eating 1200 calories a day that's way too little. Plug your stats into mfp with a goal to lose wanted to pounds a week and follow those calorie limits.

A lot of people say starvation mode does not exist but I believe that your body does slow down its metabolism if it's not getting enough food it goes into a survival mode. My cousin has a PHD in nutritional science and I talked to her about this and she says that's one of the biggest thing she has to try to get people to understand as far as healthy long-term weight loss.

Also a binge is nothing more than an emotional response. Yes we're all human and we're going to have our up and down days but there's no need for you to punish yourself for losing a pound. over a period of a year that's 52 pounds which is significant

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    You're looking at this all wrong. Let me give you my background January 1st 2016 my weight was 288 pounds my current weight is 208 and I've been maintaining that approximately 8 months.

You totally need to relook at the way you're approaching this. Just like you didn't gain all the weight quickly over time you're not going to lose it quickly. 1 -2 pounds/week is the healthy way to do it.

In my opinion if you weigh about 300 pounds and you're eating 1200 calories a day that's way too little. Plug your stats into mfp with a goal to lose wanted to pounds a week and follow those calorie limits.

A lot of people say starvation mode does not exist but I believe that your body does slow down its metabolism if it's not getting enough food it goes into a survival mode. My cousin has a PHD in nutritional science and I talked to her about this and she says that's one of the biggest thing she has to try to get people to understand as far as healthy long-term weight loss.

Also a binge is nothing more than an emotional response. Yes we're all human and we're going to have our up and down days but there's no need for you to punish yourself for losing a pound. over a period of a year that's 52 pounds which is significant

starvation mode in the sense where people cant lose weight/fat in a deficit doesnt exist.when a person diets and eats low calories for a long period of time their body will slow down their BMR which is adaptive thermogenesis,if starvation mode existed to where you stopped losing weight and retained fat then people with eating disorders would not become deathly thin and that goes for those in the starving parts of the world(Ethiopia for one).

when your body doesnt get enough calories it will take anything it can to use for energy(fat,muscle,etc). There is such thing as starvation but not starvation mode.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    does it really matter as long as the weight is consistently going down?

Please help!

I believe you're eating too little calorie wise... target 7cal/lb up to 300. So ... that would be 2100 per day... when your less that that.. your body is in major slow down mode metabolism wise... and believes it not going to get food...

DP

No. Just.... no.

Why? Why eat 1000 less calories when you could eat more and still lose weight? Why drop to the lowest suggested calories for an entire gender (not based on height or weight) and not give yourself any wiggle room down the road?

1 pound a week is good! But, with that big of a deficit it should be more.

How did you get to 1200 calories?
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    does it really matter as long as the weight is consistently going down?

Please help!

DP

No. Just.... no.

Why? Why eat 1000 less calories when you could eat more and still lose weight? Why drop to the lowest suggested calories for an entire gender (not based on height or weight) and not give yourself any wiggle room down the road?

1 pound a week is good! But, with that big of a deficit it should be more.

How did you get to 1200 calories?

I think she was responding to the whole starvation mode thing which in this case simply does not apply....so she was right in her response. I'm not saying 1200 cal is right for OP, but the whole body starving and holding onto calories thing does not apply here
  • lovelifehealth
    lovelifehealth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Be happy with the 1 lb a week loss and extra happy when it shows up as a 2 lb loss. Binging is bad because of the emotional reaction and risk for eating disordered behaviors, but the pattern of periodically eating a little less or a little more helps to keep your metabolism active and burning calories. Stress reduction and quality sleep are also key for burning calories.

The key is to stress less and be happy more. Your body's biochemical reactions are not going to always make sense or be clearly trackable. If you're losing weight you're on the right track. Be happy.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    How do you determine that you are eating 1,200 calories a day? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or just eyeballing things?

Are you logging as you eat, or are you waiting until the end of the day and trying to remember what you ate and the portions?

Are you logging your binges? What about things you drink, condiments, are you logging those?

How long have you been doing this, and what kind of weight loss numbers are you expecting to see?

It would be helpful if you opened your food journal :)
  • cedar2526
    cedar2526 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is good. Would you lose more if you didn't binge? Depends how many calories a binge is.