Weird question but do you wash your hair after exercise?

Options

Replies

• Keto_mama
    Keto_mama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not all the time, my hair is sensitive to too much watching. Lifting doesn't make me so sweaty but cardio does. I skip a hair wash after cardio probably half the time.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much oil your skin produces and the climate you live in. I wash my hair every 2-3 days because that's when my hair starts looking greasy. Any more often and my skin dries out and I get dandruff. I have never experienced my hair needing to be washed because it is sweaty, but I have always lived in the desert or the mountains where sweat evaporates before it has a chance to breed bacteria. I wear my long hair in a top knot during most workouts or a braid if I'm wearing a helmet which usually keeps dirt out of my hair. The only exceptions to my washing routine is swimming in a chlorinated pool, because I think that is worse for my hair and skin than a little extra shampoo, or if my hair picks up a smoke during fire season, because it bothers my allergies.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Shampoo every day. It gets oily itchy and gross if I don't. I sweat like a beast every day while running so it's necessary for me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every day if I run, but not on rest days (unless I do strenuous cross training). I only give it one shampoo instead of two. I sweat heavily, plus outdoors I usually wear a hat so have hat hair.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't wash my hair everyday. I wash it maybe every 3-4 days. My hair does get sweaty I just let it air out. I don't use any products on it. By day 3 or 4 I usually wear my hair in a ponytail or bun.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair 5-6 mornings a week.

The only time I wash it after a workout is if I've been for a really long bicycle ride.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every day. If I shower Morning and night, it is washed 2x a day. I swim in chlorine and color it and it's healthy. I couldn't even begin to feel clean without washing it.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I shampoo my hair once a week, and rinse with apple cider vinegar and water once halfway through the week. I just let my hair dry after a work out and it looks and feels great.

Just have to train your scalp a bit and you shouldn't need to wash your hair every day. Sweat does not equal dirty hair.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair on cardio days, so after runs and spin. On weights days I don't sweat anywhere near as much and just use a bit of dry shampoo. If I was my hair too much it gets really dry and frizzy. Plus, i hate doing it, such a chore.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No. I wash my hair 2x a week. It doesn't look oily. And I also use dry shampoo if needed. Shampooing you hair every day can be really damaging
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I wash mine every day, I have fine, oily hair it looks and fees awful when I don't wash it. I think it all depends on your hair. I have asked my stylist and she said with my hair type I should wash it everyday.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use shampoo once every 5-10 days (more often in summer, less in winter.) On in between days I get it wet and either just run conditioner through it or sometimes wash it with conditioner. Kind of depends on how it's looking.

This is what I do.
  • Melissa_Leanne86
    Melissa_Leanne86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair twice a week and use dry shampoo when needed. I used to wash my hair everyday, but honestly...I got lazy :D
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every 3 days or so, regardless of workouts. There are some exceptions, if I swim, I wash my hair so I try to make that coincide with the 3rd or 4th day. If I run like 6 miles in 80+ degree weather than I will probably wash my hair before I go out in public. That's about it. I use dry shampoo on the 3rd day unless it's a week where I haven't sweat much at all then I can make it last even longer.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    I only wash my hair twice a week and use dry shampoo when needed. I used to wash my hair everyday, but honestly...I got lazy :D

Now that I'm not washing my hair every day like I used to, I've gotten so lazy with it too, lol! Now I hate to spend all that time washing it and then the subsequent drying and styling. It's a real pain in the *kitten*, especially when I'm at the gym and it cuts my work out time short.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I usually shower at night (and wash my hair every day or it is super oily and gross) - if I work out in the morning I shower and rinse my hair only to get out any sweat. If I work out in the afternoon I just wait until I shower that night. If I don't wash my hair every day it gets disgusting because it's very oily, but I think it would be bad for my hair to shampoo twice in a day. I've never tried dry shampoo, but I don't think it would work for my hair.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have dark blonde hair, so even the tiniest bit of oil makes my hair look dirty. And I haven't found a dry shampoo yet that doesn't look like I have powder in my hair (I've tried several). So, yeah, I do wash my hair every day, but if I don't work out one day, I try not to wash it if I don't have to. I use a deep conditioner once a week as well and I barely ever heat style it or use product.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    krazy1sbk wrote: »
    I usually shower at night (and wash my hair every day or it is super oily and gross) - if I work out in the morning I shower and rinse my hair only to get out any sweat. If I work out in the afternoon I just wait until I shower that night. If I don't wash my hair every day it gets disgusting because it's very oily, but I think it would be bad for my hair to shampoo twice in a day. I've never tried dry shampoo, but I don't think it would work for my hair.

I'm assuming you've heard this before but here goes....It's usually oily BECAUSE you wash it every day. When you wash it, you take away all the natural oils and your scalp works overtime to put it back. When you start washing it every few days, give it about 2-3 weeks, you will notice a drastic decrease in oil production simply because it's no longer necessary for your scalp to work overtime. Unless you have a medical condition that causes it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    on days I dont wash I do what jemhh does,I rinse it really well or use a conditioner to wash it with. you could also try running ACV(apple cider vinegar) through it once in awhile as it will clean your hair too. just make sure to use a little conditioner as it can make it a little dry

Go to timeout, you mentioned ACV!!

:)
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wash it twice a week and dry shampoo as needed. More frequent washing irritated my scalp.