Lost 70lbs but it's getting harder

Options
Hi everyone, I want to keep this as short as possible. I've lost 70lbs in a year, I haven't calorie counted, nor did I cut out anything from my diet and I didn't do any exercise. Well, unless you call a 9 hour job where you're on your feet all day exercise.

I wanted to maintain my weight for 6 months before I started to lose the rest of my excess weight and now I'm ready to get to my target weight of 10st.

I've been stuck at 13st 4lbs for a couple months now and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe I need to exercise now, honestly I'm not sure.

I haven't been filling my diary and in all honesty, I would prefer to keep avoiding obsessive behaviour like calorie counting as it's probably the main thing that helped me to lose all that weight. But of course I'm open to change if it benefits me. Please help, thank you x

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal, the harder it becomes to lose weight. Being more accurate with your intake may be necessary to get results as your deficit will likely be smaller.

You've obviously made changes in some way to lose such a large amount for weight (well done!), and found your maintenance level for your new weight. I'd suggest inputting your current stats in to the app to determine your calorie goal for weight loss. I think logging, at least initially, will give you an idea of a) what and how much you are currently eating and b.) what and how to change this for your new goals.

Perhaps consider exercising - especially incorporating some sort of resistance training to help maintain muscle.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Get a scale and start counting calories. It's really the best option for you. I don't find it obsessive; I find it freeing, but YMMV.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Losing without counting calories worked up to a point, now it's not longer working. Two choices: keep spinning your wheels or change something. The change that is most guaranteed to produce results is counting calories. You could try other approaches like intermittent fasting or low carb, but as you are lighter now no approach is guaranteed to work except for calorie counting. If I were you I would let go of the idea that counting is obsessive (because it's only obsessive if done out of obsessive tendencies) and do that.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    all of the above said n this

1. buy a food scale (the most important tool u'll need.)
    2. set up a profile with an easy goal at first (start with .5 or 1lbs a week for the first 2 weeks to ease ur body into it). MFP will give u a daily allowance so u dont need to figure it out yourself.
    3. log EVERYTHING u eat EVERYDAY
    4. Only eat back half the calories that u burned at most if u decide to exercise (the MFP numbers r too optimistic for exercises)
    5. join an online challenge (optional)
    6. ditch any non supportive friends
    7. donate all junk foods (ASAP)
    8. dont tell people that u r trying to lose weight coz most will tell u to EAT MORE (smile n ignore them if they do but do not give in coz u have a goal n they dont)
    9. google search for recipes if needed

Hope that ull find the above useful. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ^ its not snarky. Some people DO get obsessive and even get disordered from things like calorie counting. It is a calorie counting site, but also many people use it for other reasons.

If your not losing and not gaining, and you don't want to count calories, the key would be to create a deficit still. If you drink a starbucks frapp and stop, or if you do 30 minutes of cardio, and change nothing else, you would likely resume weight loss again.

I lost most of 150 lbs without counting calories. Ideally this would be a tool that would lead me to being able to keep my weight steady without needing to log daily. I do find it helpful to log for a week and see where extra calories are going. Sometimes when I stop logging, I drink more sugar in my coffee, etc.

It is true though, the less weight you have to lose, the harder it becomes, thats why calorie counting is so helpful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Not counting calories works, until it doesn't. The closer to goal you are, the more precise you need to be, which for some people (like myself) means counting and logging everyday.

It doesn't have to be a lifelong thing, just do it for a month or two until you get a feel for the correct portion size, who knows, you may find you enjoy it. For me, weighing and logging is freeing, because there is no guessing if i am eating the correct amount of calories, no wondering if I'm really eating the amount that i think I'm eating, and no WHY am i not losing weight! The numbers in my diary tell me everything i need to know.

If you are no longer losing weight, the first and most simple place to start is to tighten up your logging, because 99.9% of the time when this issue comes up, it because the person is eating more than they think.

It's up to you, nip it in the bud now or continue on as you are.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Even though I would be one of those "obsessive" calorie counters during my weight loss phases, I will go a bit against the grain here and say that it may not be 100% necessary to count calories yet. If what you're doing now is no longer working, then maybe some exercise is an option. Another option would be to reduce your food intake in some way, like smaller portions, fewer snacks, lower calorie choices, etc... I'd say start there, and if those don't work for you, maybe try counting calories for a few weeks just to get an idea of your intake and what could change. Doesn't necessarily have to be a permanent thing.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Yasmine91 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I want to keep this as short as possible. I've lost 70lbs in a year, I haven't calorie counted, nor did I cut out anything from my diet and I didn't do any exercise. Well, unless you call a 9 hour job where you're on your feet all day exercise.

I wanted to maintain my weight for 6 months before I started to lose the rest of my excess weight and now I'm ready to get to my target weight of 10st.

I've been stuck at 13st 4lbs for a couple months now and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe I need to exercise now, honestly I'm not sure.

I haven't been filling my diary and in all honesty, I would prefer to keep avoiding obsessive behaviour like calorie counting as it's probably the main thing that helped me to lose all that weight. But of course I'm open to change if it benefits me. Please help, thank you x

What??? There's nothing obsessive about counting calories. It's how many people are successful at weight loss, and maintaining a healthy weight.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Try increasing your veggie intake daily.

Lately I've been putting veggies into a bullet blender cup and just drinking them down, just to make it easy. I personally aim for 450g veggies daily.

So like 150g at each of 3 meals. Saute for breakfast, salad for lunch, the last 150 in a blender cup.

When I was logging obsessively, I found the veggie intake made the difference between steady fat loss....or not.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70# logging every stinking calorie for 18 months and we are at the same place. Stuck with a tiny bit more weight to lose. One would think that whatever for you this far would get you over the hump-- but not so. I think the trick is to suffer. Whatever that means to you, or stay where you are. Those are the options.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your veggie intake daily.

Lately I've been putting veggies into a bullet blender cup and just drinking them down, just to make it easy. I personally aim for 450g veggies daily.

So like 150g at each of 3 meals. Saute for breakfast, salad for lunch, the last 150 in a blender cup.

When I was logging obsessively, I found the veggie intake made the difference between steady fat loss....or not.

Adding vegies will not make a bit of difference if you aren't in a deficit. It may make you eat less of something more calorie dense, but you don't know that unless you track it.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I get not wanting to calorie count...I don't know your history, but for me it can be a trigger so I'm very careful. In this case I would add in a daily walk (exercise) and see if you notice improvement. Since I'm in recover from an ED I steer clear of steep calorie deficits and try to maintain some exercise calories through walking so I don't feel deprived or need to severely restrict :)
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice and help. I'll be sure to take what has been said into account and do some research. As for those who think I'm 'snarky' because of my comment, you're taking it personally.

I have been on this site since my late teens, I've tried calorie counting and it turned into an obsession. I took my scales with me everywhere, my measuring spoons, a list of calories that I know by heart, trust me when I say it was a really bad obsession. Of course not everyone will have the same experience as me. So if you're confident that counting calories is the best way for you then it shouldn't bother you that I said that it didn't work for me.

Not counting calories has helped me to lose more weight than counting calories and I can say that with full confidence, I like that I have been able to be free with my decisions and I wasn't paying for it. Am I completely against calorie counting, of course not, I would of left this site years ago. Counting calories does work, I'm not disputing that. But for some people, like me, I don't know if it's a safe method for me anymore, especially knowing now that I had more success from avoiding it. I guess I'm just afraid to go back to my old habits, start stressing and then gain all my weight back. But like I said, I'm going to take on board what's been said and do a little research.

Thanks again x
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I get that counting can lead to obsessive behaviors for you. You should have just worded it that way in your post. Most here can count without it becoming obsessive, so a blanket statement got pushback is all.

Having said that, if it doesn't work for you then you just need to find what does. Lots lose without counting, but you will need to change something. Increasing veggies may help it they fill you up and replace higher calorie foods. Just be sure not to skimp on protein. Hell, low carb may work for you so maybe check out the low carb groups. Also increasing activity or exercise without changing what you eat may work.

There are lots of ways to lose weight, just make sure to not go too extreme, keep your health in mind and don't think that everyone is like you so be respectful of others and how they lose.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yasmine91 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your advice and help. I'll be sure to take what has been said into account and do some research. As for those who think I'm 'snarky' because of my comment, you're taking it personally.

I have been on this site since my late teens, I've tried calorie counting and it turned into an obsession. I took my scales with me everywhere, my measuring spoons, a list of calories that I know by heart, trust me when I say it was a really bad obsession. Of course not everyone will have the same experience as me. So if you're confident that counting calories is the best way for you then it shouldn't bother you that I said that it didn't work for me.

Not counting calories has helped me to lose more weight than counting calories and I can say that with full confidence, I like that I have been able to be free with my decisions and I wasn't paying for it. Am I completely against calorie counting, of course not, I would of left this site years ago. Counting calories does work, I'm not disputing that. But for some people, like me, I don't know if it's a safe method for me anymore, especially knowing now that I had more success from avoiding it. I guess I'm just afraid to go back to my old habits, start stressing and then gain all my weight back. But like I said, I'm going to take on board what's been said and do a little research.

Thanks again x

In your OP you just said that calorie counting was obsessive, not that it became that way for you, so that is what I and some others were reacting too.

Perhaps you can just be mindful throughout the day for a week of where your calories are going? And make a note of where you are eating something that either you didn't need to, or something that had a calorie-dense component that you can cut back on or eliminate, or a beverage with calories you can replace with one that's calorie free.