Fruit and sugar

Options
kellyfeb78
kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
I'm trying to eat more fruit as a sweet snack but the sugar content always puts me over my daily target, should I just ignore it?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Depends on your circumstances. If you have metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, or CAD, probably not.

You can always switch to lower GI fruit. Berries are low. Tropical and dried fruits have the most sugar.
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    I have no medical conditions I'm just trying to go by what mfp says I should consume in a day. I am losing weight nicely but my sugar is always above due to fruit. I eat pineapple, blueberries, melon, satsumas, and strawberrys now as they are cheap lol
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    OK that's great so I can eat my beloved pineapple and not stress over sugar lol thanks
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kellyfeb78 wrote: »
    OK that's great so I can eat my beloved pineapple and not stress over sugar lol thanks

Replace sugar with fiber. Fiber is very important and can increase satiation levels. And concentrate in general on whole foods.

ETA: I eat 100-150g of sugar a day, but I also eat a lot of fruit (400-500 calories on average)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing by eating at a deficit enjoy that fruit. I've never paid attention to sugar because I'm old and fiber seems more important. Living in Montana and being subject to seasonal variations in what fruit we get and what is affordable I sometimes gorge myself on fruits like raspberries, strawberries, cherries, melons, peaches etc. when they are in season. I just make sure I weigh them so I'm not going over my calories. The exception is raspberries, I grow gallons every summer and eat as many as I can when they are ripe.
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    I tend to eat my fruit with fat free Greek yoghurt as I know it's high in protein and low in the bad stuff and it also makes a nice refreshing, breakfast
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I ignore sugars on MFP. Virtually all the sugar I eat comes in natural forms from nutritious foods like dairy, fruits, and vegetables. To reduce my sugar intake, I'd have to reduce my intake of those healthy foods and I'd probably be hungrier.

ETA: In general, whole fruit is good for you and relatively low calorie. Unless there's some medical condition or fruit is crowding out other healthy foods, there's no reason to worry about the amount. Juice, dried fruits, and fruit concentrates are a different matter because it's easy to overeat them.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love pineapple and plums so add to oatbran to get the fibre and fruit. Fits in cal allowance so no probs yet
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can choose what to track in your food diary. As sugar is just a subset of carbs it seems pretty pointless to track sugar unless you have a medical reason to.

If it's annoying you why not replace it with fibre for example?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    kellyfeb78 wrote: »
    I'm trying to eat more fruit as a sweet snack but the sugar content always puts me over my daily target, should I just ignore it?

Yes unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic...
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes, what everyone already said, if you don't have a medical condition, sugar from fruit is not something to worry about.
  • kellyfeb78
    Options
    Thanks all
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about natural sugar just added sugars.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The main reason I removed the sugar content from my list. I was becoming obsessive over that red number glaring at me at the end of each day. I now just track carbs and focus on the simple ones. As long as that's under the goal, I'm okay.
  • mtek94
    mtek94 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    IMHO dont track your fruits and vegies cos who has ever gotten fat from eatting fruit and vegies..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    mtek94 wrote: »
    IMHO dont track your fruits and vegies cos who has ever gotten fat from eatting fruit and vegies..

I would.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    mtek94 wrote: »

Get fat? No. But not tracking fruits and veggies can impede weight loss, because you can have a few hundred calories unaccounted for at the end of each day that wipe out your deficit. That's one issue I've got with Weight Watchers, tbh.

That being said, I might not weigh every low-calorie vegetable I eat; I'm much more likely to use an entry like '1/2 medium cucumber,' for example. Because we're probably talking about a difference of 10-20 calories between the generic "1 medium cucumber" and how much I'm actually eating. But I log them all; I just allow myself more of a margin for error with low-cal foods.