Newbie - Is this right?

Options
Hey :) I'm quite a fitness noice, a 26 year old male, and 6 foot 1/ 13 stone 4lbs. About 6 weeks ago I was 15 stone 2lbs and went on quite a strict diet using MFP, then had a crash 3 week and went off. I'm now averaging about 600 - 700 calories per day, is this enough? I've read a few things about how a low calorie diet can stop weightloss or lose muscle. I now run about 4-5k 5 days per week, but still want to lose more so I'm under 13 stone. I'm just concerned if I start eating more I'll lose my fitness/stamina/running or put a load of weight on?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. You should be eating a minimum of 1500 calories, if not the goal given to you. Eating more will actually help your fitness as well as you're properly fueling your body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The minimum for a sedentary male is 1500 calories...600-700 calories per day isn't even close to enough...exercise on top of that isn't doing you any favors either. Fitness requires fuel...calories are fuel. Fit people eat and train.

I'm 42 going on 43 and 5'10" and I can lose about 1 Lb per week eating around 2300 calories per day on average.
  • onlytruemanhere83
    onlytruemanhere83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    *kitten* man - get some food in you! you're doing yourself some serious harm and won't stick to it. Lifestyle not diet
  • jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know long term it isn't possible, and it's easier to stick to if I boost it. Just worried I'll ruin what I've done so far, I'm joining a running club so will be exercising more too. I struggle to find snacks to eat, any recommendations? (I hate fruit and am a fussy eater!)

Do you think of still lose weight on a 1500 diet then?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I had to make sure I read this right before I responded..

You realize that the less you eat the less you will be able to exercise and therefore you will lose fitness/stamina because you will not be able to run therefore you lose it all that way including your muscle mass.

Up the calories, to a reasonable deficit to lose slower and keep your muscle mass while losing weight and you will still be able to exercise and stay active.. the way you are doing it is the complete opposite of the right way to do it.
  • malibu927
    Options
    jbean1990 wrote: »
    I know long term it isn't possible, and it's easier to stick to if I boost it. Just worried I'll ruin what I've done so far, I'm joining a running club so will be exercising more too. I struggle to find snacks to eat, any recommendations? (I hate fruit and am a fussy eater!)

Do you think of still lose weight on a 1500 diet then?

Yes, but at your size you should be eating more. I'm a 5'6" female and I can lose a pound a week on 2000 calories.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    You see this is the thing, I've not felt any different exercise wise. I'm a teacher on my feet all day and felt no ill effects so far, although from what you say I imagine it'll get harder? Would upping the calories mean I keep muscle mass? As I assume that is what's going Now from what you've said?

Just another Q, sorry! Is there such thing as a 'bad' calorie? Say I ate 100KCAL of potatoes, or 100 of a biscuit, weight wise would it be the same?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You see this is the thing, I've not felt any different exercise wise. I'm a teacher on my feet all day and felt no ill effects so far, although from what you say I imagine it'll get harder? Would upping the calories mean I keep muscle mass? As I assume that is what's going Now from what you've said?

Just another Q, sorry! Is there such thing as a 'bad' calorie? Say I ate 100KCAL of potatoes, or 100 of a biscuit, weight wise would it be the same?

But you will.. your body can only sustain at low calories for so long before short term side effects start happening and if you continue down this path they can become longer term health/medical problems.

Upping the calories to a min in which your are losing at a slower rate as possible will help preserve your muscle mass and consume ample protein during this process.

Eat what ever you want to eat within the amount of calories MFP gives you to lose weight (i.e .5 pounds a week).
  • jbean1990
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Eat what ever you want to eat within the amount of calories MFP gives you to lose weight (i.e .5 pounds a week).

This is what I was meaning, thanks! What's the ideal calorie intake to lose as much as possible (that is safe)
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2017
    Options

This is what I was meaning, thanks! What's the ideal calorie intake to lose as much as possible (that is safe)

You do not want to lose as fast as possible. You want to lose it slower as possible to preserve muscle mass and also be able to fuel your body so you can be active and run as you described in your OP...

How many total pounds do you need to lose?

Why this hurry up approach to your weight loss?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

You may feel fine, until you don't. At that point, the damage is done. It can take a long time to recover from being undernourished (which is exactly what you are doing). Personally, I need about 1500 calories per day to hit all my macros (proteins, fats, carbs) and micros (vitamins, minerals). It could be done in less.

When you lose weight, some of it will come from fat stores and some from muscle. This happens regardless. However, your body has a limit on how much of that can come from fat. So when you have a steep deficit, you lose a greater ratio from muscle than you would at a lower deficit.

As for calories, you will see this gets argued around here ad nauseum. The calorie count itself is where the weightloss/gain happens. So purely from a weight perspective 100 calories=100 calories. From a nutritional perspective, they won't be equal. Balance in my diet includes a variety of nutrient rich foods, with occasional fun foods. You will need to find what works for you and your lifestyle and preferences.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    Ideally I'd like be under 13 stone, in the middle of the BMI scale which would be 12 stone 5lbs.

Also 3 years ago I was a 34 waist, I went up to 38 and am now at 36, ideally I want to get back to 34 ready for the new school year in September when I buy work clothes.

The rush is just how I am, I know it's not perfect but I like to do things ASAP.
  • jbean1990
    Options
    So any tips for reducing waist line are appreciated too! :) thanks!
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ideally I'd like be under 13 stone, in the middle of the BMI scale which would be 12 stone 5lbs.

Also 3 years ago I was a 34 waist, I went up to 38 and am now at 36, ideally I want to get back to 34 ready for the new school year in September when I buy work clothes.

The rush is just how I am, I know it's not perfect but I like to do things ASAP.

Didn't the OP say you were 12 stone 2 pounds or was this in another time frame? And you did it restricting calories?

Well rushing it is unhealthy, you lose viable muscle mass, and your hormones will tank, your immune system will tank and you will start feeling unwell therefore you will not be able at keep up with the running as you describe. You will be back peddling to correct unhealthy results from doing it this in a manner that is not sustainable and better for your over all health.. Better habits are not formed for long term results doing it this way either.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So any tips for reducing waist line are appreciated too! :) thanks!

Calorie deficit is how you lose fat/weight around the waist line.

Recommendation, ample protein and start a structured strength training program, sooner the better. Cardio is fine too, but just know you need to fuel all this type of activity, use your calories to work for you and not against you.

Find balance for all, weight loss and exercise and things will start happening if you choose to not do this rapid and in an unsustaining method as your described.
  • jbean1990
    Options

Didn't the OP say you were 12 stone 2 pounds or was this in another time frame? And you did it restricting calories?

Well rushing it is unhealthy, you lose viable muscle mass, and your hormones will tank, your immune system will tank and you will start feeling unwell therefore you will not be able at keep up with the running as you describe. You will be back peddling to correct unhealthy results from doing it this in a manner that is not sustainable and better for your over all health.. Better habits are not formed for long term results doing it this way either.

I'm 13 stone 4 or 5 ATM, but was 15 2 at my heaviest
  • malibu927
    Options
    So you only have a stone to lose at most. Losing quickly is the worst thing you can do now because you don't have as much fat to lose, and a lot of it will end up burning muscle.

Set your goal to lose half a pound a week. Eat that much plus a portion of your exercise calories. You probably will see a gain at first as your glycogen stores fill up from moving from lower calories to higher, but that will be temporary.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if you want to lose weight and be healthy and fit or if you want to do a crash diet and harm your health. If you want to be healthy lose weight slower, eat atleast 1500 net, eat a variety of foods and no food is bad you just need a balance between nutritionally dense foods and calorie dense food.

Good luck