I'm slowly gaining again??

Options
2»

Replies

• cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think you need more data/time to determine if you are actually gaining. I've been on maintenance for about 2 years now and my maintenance is more of a range than a specific number. I tend to vary between 126 and 131#. When I hit the 129/130 I do cut back slightly but generally just a day or two.

Here is my weight graph from over the last month of maintenance. The peaks are related to a meal out the day before, AF, hormone changes, etc and are generally not actually weight gain.
    ur96mdwt4754.png
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone, it went down to 128 and up to 130 again lol! And I meet with a nutritionist on a monthly basis and she told me to eat between 1400-1600 to maintain... but I wish I could eat more and not worry about gaining. I'm told my basic metabolic rate is 1310 calories, and I'm at 26% body fat, and my goal is 23%.

If you weren't exercising 1600 might be around maintenance for you (various calculators put mine in the low 1600s if I was sedentary, I'm 45 and ~10 pounds heavier than you). But you are exercising and you need to fuel that properly. Personally, I'd start adding 100 cals a day, and keep adding another 100 per day each week until until you see gains that can't be put down to natural fluctuations.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone, it went down to 128 and up to 130 again lol! And I meet with a nutritionist on a monthly basis and she told me to eat between 1400-1600 to maintain... but I wish I could eat more and not worry about gaining. I'm told my basic metabolic rate is 1310 calories, and I'm at 26% body fat, and my goal is 23%.

Girl, I gain 2 lbs between breakfast and lunch! Don't over think it. Maybe you should get a Fitbit or A quality heart rate monitor so you can learn how many calories you are actually burning in a day? Our maintenance calories for a sedentary lifestyle with zero exercise is 1600 calories but exercise changes that. Seriously, my height, weight, and BF are the same as yours, but I run half the distance per week you run, and I burn a minimum of 2000 calories per day (which I learned from using my Fitbit Charge 2 religiously for 5 months).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options

Scooby estimates your BMR (I assumed 18 yo, the differences will be small if you're a bit older. If you ARE <19yo we don't even know if you're done growing and the models we are using may well be under-estimating your energy needs)... at 1406. And your SEDENTARY maintenance at 1687.

Clearly you're not sedentary. Thus either you misunderstood the nutritionist, or he has data we don't have about you, or he is out to lunch... and dining on your food!

Now, I can see a nutritionist assuming you're more active than sedentary and giving you that range as a way to lose weight, counting on your additional energy expenditure to generate a deficit.

Note too that the nutritionist seems to have used the Katch-McArdle formula which takes into account lean body mass and does not take into account age. This results in a lower caloric estimate for yourself than the widely used Mifflin-St Jeor formula MFP and Fitbit use as their base.

This is in part based on your 26% body fat estimate which of course is very questionable as to its accuracy. As Scooby says in terms of which formula you ought to be leaning towards: "If you are fairly muscular and lean (4-pack abs or better), I would recommend the Katch-McArdle formula. If you are just starting on your fitness journey and are not yet strong or lean then I recommend the Mifflin-St Jeor equation." The reason being that Katch-McArdle under-estimate the energy requirements of maintaining non lean mass, which are not actually zero.

Anyway. Back to you, OP.

First of all the level of worry over a lb or two is disconcerting. Your weight is expected to move around. If you're not already using one start using Libra or Happy Scale or www.trendweight.com or www.weightgrapher.com or use some other averaging to look at weight trends as opposed to daily weights.

Second look for thread called: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

Third realise that you're at a BMI of 21 and young.

To me this means that you should fuel your activity. Build your strength. Move more. Eat to the maximum that you can without clearly regaining weight as opposed to looking to lose. The example of adding 100 Cal a week till you see clear evidence of persistent gains before backing off has already been given...
  • amanda102815
    amanda102815 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to loose 43 more pounds. I have lost 80 but put back on 24! I was so close to my goal! Then stress and life hit me hard! Need some motivation!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to loose 43 more pounds. I have lost 80 but put back on 24! I was so close to my goal! Then stress and life hit me hard! Need some motivation!

@amanda102815 Were you practically starving yourself to lose the 80? That's the reason most people crash and burn. Instead, setting a sustainable weekly weight loss goal is a great step towards sticking to your plan long enough to lose the weight you want.

Check out the General Weight Loss section (this thread we're posting in is in the Maintaining Weight section) and read the posts in the Must Reads sticky thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • svhare39
    svhare39 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't stress it. A couple lbs of a weight fluctuation mixed within a "binge" of only a few hundred more calories is going to be prevelant. Just take your caloric intake back down to 1400-1600 range that you were at before, keep working out, and you will level back out to your range in the matter of a few days!
  • mariesofi4108
    mariesofi4108 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I went down to 126 lbs, a number I haven't seen in a while, so super pumped.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I went down to 126 lbs, a number I haven't seen in a while, so super pumped.

Those days are great! I was at 135 on Monday (first day back from a week vacation), then down to 131 today (lower than pre-vacation average of 133). Don't stress if it creeps up again over the next couple days. For me, these drops are cyclical and happen mid-monthly cycle. My maintenance range is 130-135 so I'm expecting it to settle in around 132-133 by the middle of next week.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    ... but I wish I could eat more and not worry about gaining. I'm told my basic metabolic rate is 1310 calories, and I'm at 26% body fat, and my goal is 23%.

Lift weights and do what you can to build muscle. I can eat about 500 calories more than what MFP recommends to maintain because I am muscular. It's awesome!
  • bronzebond
    bronzebond Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would carb cycle for a week and not drop your calories just to give your metablosim a kick. Often times after a higher than normal calorie day the weight will settle back down to the norm after 3 or 4 days of normal eating. You can try going low carbs for two days followed by higher carbs for two days and see if that wont produce some results. Just dont panic. Its a process, and all it takes is being aware, which you are, and making adjustments. Hope this helps.

• PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Set a 5 lb maintenance range for yourself to allow for fluctuations, such as 127-132. When you get to the top of the range, start eating at a 250 cal deficit until you're back to mid range. Do this even if you think the top of the range is water weight. You might only need to do the deficit for a few days if it is water weight, but it's one way to help keep things in check.

YES...this. This is exactly how I am doing it. My range is 120-125. My body keeps going back to 122 something. I ate over 2000 calories yesterday and almost as much on Saturday and I am sitting right at 122.4. I can eat VERY little though and it is rare that I get to and stay at 120 or 121 something. I guess my body has its "happy place". I had those couple high cal days so today and tomorrow I will eat under maintenance.