To fitbit or not to fitbit...

Options
ldwatene
ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
I workout (weights) 5 days a week for about an hour to an hour and a half each day and my general activity outside of the gym is pretty casual.

I'm curious about getting a fitbit to see what calories I'm burning each day but wondering if it would suit this type of lifestyle.

Thoughts please...

Replies

• Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    when I workout with weights, the fitbit really contributes nothing to my knowledge. I don't think it is worth the investment in terms of working out with weights.
  • ldwatene
    Options
    Ann262 wrote: »
    when I workout with weights, the fitbit really contributes nothing to my knowledge. I don't think it is worth the investment in terms of working out with weights.

Yeah thats what I"m thinking. Thanks for replying
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have a charge 2
    Helps me track my
    Workouts quite well
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I disagree.

Some days I don't even go to the gym but I'm active and I end up burning as many calories than if I went to the gym then was inactive all day. I wouldn't realize that if I didn't have a fitbit.

Plus, for me at least, it was a huge eye opener about how even an extra 30 minute walk can change my day. I'm way more active now that I have one... so I can eat more. It's actually nice.

That being said, yeah, if you have really no desire to get moving other than going to the gym... I probably wouldn't bother. Set yourself at sedentary and just log your workout.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mine was worth it. I thought I was sedentary, the Fitbit showed me that I'm actually pretty active. I wasn't eating enough calories, I was always hungry and lacking energy. I also found out I was over estimating my calorie burn, but it still wasn't enough to make up the difference. I'm still meeting my weight lost goals, so I trust the accuracy.

I do 30 minutes of cardio daily, followed by 20-30 minutes of lifting. I find that it tracks my lifting sessions just fine. If you do mostly weights, you may find the tracking less than accurate.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I disagree.

Some days I don't even go to the gym but I'm active and I end up burning as many calories than if I went to the gym then was inactive all day. I wouldn't realize that if I didn't have a fitbit.

Plus, for me at least, it was a huge eye opener about how even an extra 30 minute walk can change my day. I'm way more active now that I have one... so I can eat more. It's actually nice.

That being said, yeah, if you have really no desire to get moving other than going to the gym... I probably wouldn't bother. Set yourself at sedentary and just log your workout.

Exactly this!
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a Charge 2 for a couple of months now. It does absolutely nothing for my weightlifting specifically. All it does is generally track how many calories I burn, regardless whether it's on a workout, walking, or just sitting on the couch.

If you're looking for a tool that's more aimed at weightlifting, I'd check out the Atlas wristband. I like how it tracks the program, counts the reps and times the breaks between sets. It also reads your heartbeat like the Fitbit and tells you how many calories you burned, the big difference is that you don't use it outside of a workout.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Meh there are more trackers out there besides Fitbits.
  • ldwatene
    Options
    ieroen wrote: »
    I've been wearing a Charge 2 for a couple of months now. It does absolutely nothing for my weightlifting specifically. All it does is generally track how many calories I burn, regardless whether it's on a workout, walking, or just sitting on the couch.

If you're looking for a tool that's more aimed at weightlifting, I'd check out the Atlas wristband. I like how it tracks the program, counts the reps and times the breaks between sets. It also reads your heartbeat like the Fitbit and tells you how many calories you burned, the big difference is that you don't use it outside of a workout.

I'll check it out
  • ldwatene
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback