Treadmill Running vs. Road Running

I need some input from you runners out there. I started Weight Watchers in January and basically overhauled my life style. I started running again, but, winters being what they are in Nova Scotia, I run on the treadmill. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'd like to get outside. But my friend has me running scared (sorry, no pun intended) because she says that running on a treadmill is 100% different than running on a sidewalk.

I'm not entirely sure that I believe her, but I also don't want to get on the trail, run 3k out and then collapse (though I'm sure I'd probably stop long before it came to collapsing). But you know what I mean. I guess, what I'm asking is this: how much harder is it running outside than on a treadmill (if at all)? All insights appreciated :)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Yes it's different, but certainly not enough to worry about in the least bit.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited May 2017
    As a newbie runner, I agree with rybo, just go outside and run. I started in the treadmill too, but once you go outside is no go back to the treadmill (except for some hard winter days perhaps). Outside is so much better, and if you 3K in the treadmill, you should be able to run a similar distance (maybe less). I was able to run 3 miles in the treadmill and when I went outside that translated into 2.75 miles, so yeah, you need to expect a little variation.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    It's absolutely different, but I think they're both hard tbh.

I would plan to do a shorter route than whatever you can currently do on the treadmill. And, if you find it's way more tiring than you'd expected...you can always walk home!

~Lyssa
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    Do you put your treadmill on an incline? I run mine between 8-15%, depending on speed and it is definitely more work than running around town. If you run on zero incline, then the treadmill will be easier.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Actually, I find running outside much easier than the treadmill and am actually a bit relieved when winter ends! It's also a lot less tedious
  • DeannaLVFT
    DeannaLVFT Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2017
    I've seen some research done that said running outside is equivalent to running on a treadmill at a 1% grade (which I assumed the 1% grade is more used to account for wind resistance). Give that a go first and see how you do.

I personally see running on a treadmill to be easier because you do have the belt assisting you with leg turnover. Also, pacing yourself isn't as much of a challenge (at least for me).

Running outdoors isn't necessarily hard and I highly recommend it if you've never tried. Start with a shorter run and give it a try :)
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    The other thing is that running outside (which I assume means concrete or asphalt)has is the extra impact it will have vs a treadmill. You might experience at little soreness until you get used to it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Ease your way into it. On a dreadmill every step lands the same (flat). Outside you have to deal with uneven surfaces, uphills, and downhill (which you can't do on a treadmill). It will take some time for your body to get used to it. Take it slow and enjoy the view.

Good luck.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited May 2017
    Yes, they can be completely different things. Does that mean that one should be feared? Absolutely not. Treadmills are boring, but can assist with interval and hill work. Outside is more calming and distracting, but you have things like wind resistance and uneven surfaces to deal with. Not to mention, the treadmill does the work for you with the belt where as outside, you are projecting your body forward.

Do not be surprised to see your pace slow for a bit. Once your body accustoms to the new workload, it adjusts quickly. Otherwise, outdoors is just so much more stimulating than treadmill, which is something to be excited about.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    They do feel different, and your first couple of runs outside may feel harder, but after a while it is easy to switch back and forth. I much prefer running outdoors. I am faster outside and my runs are more interesting as I deal with varying hills and surfaces and weather. I enjoy exploring new routes and seeing my neighbors' gardens change with the seasons. I like doing some runs in town, some in the country and some on trails. OTOH, if it's raining, or hot and humid or really cold, I'm quite happy to run on the TM. I usually do speedwork on the TM because I can be sure of the paces though fartlek runs are more fun outdoors.

If you plan to do any racing, you will need to do some of your runs outdoors so that you are used to running on harder surfaces. I prefer the street to sidewalks, but our sidewalks tend to be very uneven. Most road races are on asphalt.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    It's different and I found it harder at first but you'll get used to it in a very short time. There's nothing to it that should stop you from getting outdoors. Give it a try; you'll find it's a lot more fun running outdoors, even if it is a bit harder at first.
    You may be one of the lucky ones who don't notice a differenct. I use a treadmill every winter and get outside as soon as I can. It takes a couple of runs to get used to it again but it's so well worth it.

Let us know how it goes. You'll like it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Walk home if you need to, but go outside!
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    It's definitely different but you'll build the stamina, start small, know your limits!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    It is different but I think your friend has scared you off. Go outside, give it a shot, go easy. I think you will enjoy it. BTW, congratulations on your "life overhaul"!
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Theyre both very different, and personally I much prefer running outside. I find it hard to run on a treadmill, it makes me quite tense. But, you'll easily transition between the two with practice, but running outside will feel harder until you build up. Don't think you'll be able to run as far on the road as you can on the treadmill right from the start. And make sure you have the right trainers on!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    It's a long winter in the North. Go forth and run.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    2 things will affect your performance wind resistance and joint impact... when you are on a treadmill... zero wind... so your body isn't pushing against thag resistance... 2nd... treadmills are designed to absorb som impact from your foot fall... so moving onto an actual unforgiving and uneven surface will present some early challenges... on an aesthetic note...it's easy to spot treadmill runners on the street, they're the ones that run with their hands up high to avoid smacking their knuckles on the grab bar and taking timy little strides
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    On the treadmill, you have the belt pushing your front leg backwards, thus less energy required
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    wytey wrote: »
    On the treadmill, you have the belt pushing your front leg backwards, thus less energy required

Yes, this! So many people ignore this fact.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    It is different, but I use a treadmill a lot during the winter because weather conditions make running outside a lot more of a hassle which makes me less likely to do it. The other thing I use a treadmill for is pace consistency. For me, it helps me to know what a consistent pace feels like. Outside I have a tendency to vary the pace a lot more.

The treadmill doesn't make you propel yourself forward, so in that way you're using less energy and its easier. I balance this a bit by setting the incline to 1%. Strides are shorter on a treadmill, too, so there's some impact there.

You can, however, incorporate both into running and use them as effective tools.