New to Biking - Have Questions

Hello All!

I have always been a runner and it is my preferred exercise. However, I have read recently that it is good to switch up exercises. So this morning I went biking. Because I am very new to this, I have a few questions:

1. What muscles does biking work compared to running?

2. I currently run 3-5 miles, 5-6 days/week, at a 9 minute pace. What would be a comparable biking workout (distance or time)?

3. My bike has many gears. How do I determine what gear(s) to use for a good workout?

Any other advice/recommendations are certainly welcome!

Thank you in advance!

-Bill

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I live in a hilly place, Seattle, which means I shift gears constantly. Try using your shifters, you'll see pretty quickly what they're for. Mostly use the one on the right which will change cogs on the rear wheel, making smaller changes, the left shifters (chainrings) are for hill vs flat, the right ones are for fine tuning.

Nobody can really tell you how many minutes or miles on a bike equal running, because you can put as much or as little as you want into the bike. If you coast a lot, it could take the whole day, but it'll be a pleasant day. If you take hills at race pace you'll run out of juice pretty quickly.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Cycling is my primary sport, and sijomial pretty much already said what I was going to. Only thing to add is that you should learn to shift by feel. If the pedaling is too difficult, shift down. If it's too easy, shift up. Shifting the front rings is worth about a 4 or 5 cog jump on the back, and there's some overlap in the gear range between the front rings.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    wear a helmet.

This is the best advice you'll ever get.

• NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    My local Trek bike shop gives free clinics on basic bike maintenance and rules of the road. You might want to see if something like that is available to you. They also do group rides for all levels. You might be able to find a beginner ride and that could help with figuring out the gears and any other questions you have about your bike.
    And always wear a helmet.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited May 2017
    Hello All!

I have always been a runner and it is my preferred exercise. However, I have read recently that it is good to switch up exercises. So this morning I went biking. Because I am very new to this, I have a few questions:

2. I currently run 3-5 miles, 5-6 days/week, at a 9 minute pace. What would be a comparable biking workout (distance or time)?

3. My bike has many gears. How do I determine what gear(s) to use for a good workout?

Thank you in advance!

-Bill

2. This will vary quite a bit with terrain/speed. A 3-5 mile run for me is in the 250-450 calorie range. Almost all of my group ride burn estimates (HR monitor only. I don't have a power meter on my bike) are significantly higher. (typically 20-25 mile rides with ~1000-2000' climb).

3. I found that a cadence sensor was helpful when I started cycling...helped me realize sooner if I hadn't switched to an easy enough gear on the hills (you'll get more of a feel for it with time). Generally, pick a gear where you can maintain a good cadence on the terrain. (I find I prefer ~90. 80-100 rpm is pretty typical).
  • zenartist24
    zenartist24 Posts: 22 Member
    This information is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you all so much for your help!!!

-Bill
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    Hello All!

Thank you in advance!

-Bill

1. Mainly 3 of the 4 quads
    2. Go for a 5 mile ride and see how you feel. Running and cycling are different so while you might feel comfortable running 5 miles, you won't necessarily feel comfortable cycling 5 miles ... but then again, you might. If 5 miles feels really good, try 7 miles next time ... and gradually build up.
    3. Aim for a cadence between 85 and 95 rpm.
    4. ****Most Importantly*** Make sure the bicycle fits you properly!

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    I run and ride and I can say that they're quire different. A 45-60 minute run and you're pretty much done, whereas a 2-hour+ ride is totally doable.

Also, it's easier to slack off while riding. To push yourself, it can really help to ride in a group.

Of course, the muscles are largely different, and it takes a bit of riding to build them up.

Now, you're ready to take up swimming!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I would add that you should always have a plan for getting home, whether that is having the right tools and spares, having a friend you can call for help, having a bus pass, or whatever. Even two miles from home can be a long walk if you are carrying a bicycle. It is also good to have a lock with you. It would be no fun to stop for a restroom break and have someone ride off on your bike.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    as a new cyclist you might be surprised by the demand on your neck, upper back and shoulder muscles. try to keep reminding yourself to keep your shoulders down and semi-loose. it's so easy to hunch them up under your ears.

same for keeping your chest 'open' compared with leaning too much of your weight onto your hands - that's another habit that's really easy to get into as well.
  • zenartist24
    zenartist24 Posts: 22 Member
    Thank you Machk9, Jthanmyfotnesspal, TimothyFish, and canadianlbs!
  • joeboo81
    joeboo81 Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2017
    I second the bike shorts! Also, take the recommendation of using your first ride to get a feel for the bike, gears, and riding technique. Biking is my favorite cardio, but I only average about 13mph on a 5 mile ride daily. However, I don't take too many breaks from peddling, even when I'm going downhill. I'll go to an easier gear and give it all I've got. If I go for longer rides though, I'll coast from time to time to alleviate the stress on my legs (and butt TBH).
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    In my experience, biking works the thighs, running calves. I always run my bike in the highest (most difficult) gear unless I'm tackling a really hard hill. I like to go fast, and I can go faster that way without tiring.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    1/
    Clear some space in your garage so that there's always space for one more bike....

^This, lol. Different steeds for different needs. ;)

• ritzvin
    Also- many people will fail to unclip the correct side and fall over once or twice when beginning to ride. you are warned.
  • ritzvin
    as a new cyclist you might be surprised by the demand on your neck, upper back and shoulder muscles. try to keep reminding yourself to keep your shoulders down and semi-loose. it's so easy to hunch them up under your ears.

same for keeping your chest 'open' compared with leaning too much of your weight onto your hands - that's another habit that's really easy to get into as well.

Yes. this. Make sure you are using your core and not your arms to keep in position.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2017
    Spare tube in baggy with just a bit of talcum powder. Tire irons, $5 bill, can buy a treat or use it to fix the sidewall of a blown out tire. Flat kit, it has been more than once that I have had to fix multiple flats on a ride. Way to inflate your tire. I use a small frame pump that attaches near my water bottle. CO2 canisters are really popular and on a group ride that is the way to go because down time is reduced, but I have not always had the best of luck with them. Think about lights for your bike. They can be fairly cheap and are worth there weight in gold if you ever get caught out to late. Love my bike.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    I am a cyclist. I recently added running and swimming and cut back on cycling to mix it up. After cycling as much as I did, I thought running would be a cinch. WRONG! I needed a walker for 3 days after trying to run a 5k with no training haha. Completely different muscles. Same with swimming.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Also- many people will fail to unclip the correct side and fall over once or twice when beginning to ride. you are warned.

Memories of getting used to being clipped in. Bruises were obtained. Egos were tarnished.