Just completed my first marathon

younghj1997
younghj1997 Posts: 3 Member
Hi guys,

Yesterday I completed the Stirling marathon and i would like to share my experience with you to give you a small incite of what it may be like if you are thinking about training to do or have already signed up for one, and whether it is your first or 30th, hopefully you can take something away from my experience.
This was my first marathon to date and what an experience it was! The feeling after passing the finish line after 26.2 miles was sheer elation and a whirlwind of emotions.
I completed it in 4:59:06 and although it was over my target of 4:15-4:30, the time is a good setting stone for future events.
After reflection of the event, I can see that I started to fast, completing my first 10km in 56:39. This is understandable however, as it was my first marathon and I was very excited and apprehensive of how it would be and got caught up in the moment.
During the event itself, I can say that during miles 12-14 were the hardest. This is where the route went out into the countryside and there wasn't as much support therefore because I was running by myself, the run became overwhelming and I started to think about the actual running and how far I still had to go. At this stage I wasn't sure that I was going to finish, but bought into the mind set of taking each mile at a time, and with every mile mark, was a small victory. Thinking about the fact that family and friends that had not only sponsored and helped me through this journey, but were waiting on the finish line was also something i summoned as motivation to finish and by mile 16 after focusing back onto running, I felt a lot better.
Mile 18 is where I was introduced to my next problem, Cramp! After 18 miles of constant jogging, the impact on your muscles is starting to take toll. My hip flickers felt it the worst and I did stop 3-4 times though miles 18 & 19 to stretch them and my hamstrings out. After taking my last energy gel at mile 19, that gave me that extra boost to continue through the pain, and again I had to remind myself that this was my first marathon and just completing it was a huge accomplishment!
Mile 20 came and we were approaching the finishing line. I thought this can't be right. Then i remember the lapping system in place as the Stirling marathon is a city marathon and this was the way it had to be set out. Coming up to the finishing line, runners were separated into 2 lanes where the finishers went to the line and the people still on mile 20 went under and around to the lapping system. This took a massive toll on my motivation and looking back this is probably not the best route for the marathon. It was like mental torture watching people finishing knowing that you still had so far to go and especially when you already felt like giving up. If this wasn't enough, you actually had to lap this twice so the second time you started the lap you were still only at mile 23. So when my second lap started I could barely walk never mind jog. This is where my saving grace came. Throughout the run I had remember a runner in a distinctive pink top with 'NEE' at the bottom and this is how I recognised her. Obviously we had been passing each other the full way and after passing me at mile 23 she started talking to me and said that because we had spent the full race together, we should continue and finish together. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for this girl I would not have completed my first marathon. Chatting about our journey for the last few miles took just enough of my mind off the pain from the complete cramping i had from the waist done and allowed me to continue at a slight jog and we continued running until the finishing line.
Arriving and passing through the finish line was a feeling i cannot explain. It is the most amazing feeling in the world and I was a blubbering mess meeting my family and friends that had been cheering me the full way and of course after sitting down for a couple of minutes I had seized up and had to be stretched out.
The full experience, looking back now, was completely and utterly amazing and it taught me that I can do so much more than I thought I could and to never give up. To think that I thought I wouldn't finish as early as mile 12, shows me that my body is capable of so much more than I think and all you need is the determination to success.

So if anyone is thinking of running a marathon or is already signed up or has ran one and wants to speak about the experiences with me I love to speak to them if they have any questions, or if regular runners have any tips for me I'd love to hear them! Just reply to this discussion and I look forward to speaking to you

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I am in awe of anyone who can complete a marathon (or a half for that matter!) Congrats!!! I have no desire to do this ever (and I don't think I could even if you paid me a million dollars), but it totally kicks butt!!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Congratulations - a great accomplishment.
  • CaseySteenport
    CaseySteenport Posts: 41 Member
    That's awesome, congrats! So the question is now...do you have the marathon bug or will you be one and done? :)
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited May 2017
    What a wonderful post. Brought tears to my eyes. Well done on your accomplishment!
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Well done - I can only dream (nightmare really) of running a marathon. But never say never - I didn't think I could run and managed a 10k in 1 hour last week! Congratulations.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Amazing job and dedication- that is an incredible feat. Congratulations!
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Great post! Congratulations on such an amazing accomplishment!!
  • younghj1997
    Well done - I can only dream (nightmare really) of running a marathon. But never say never - I didn't think I could run and managed a 10k in 1 hour last week! Congratulations.

thats amazing!! onwards and upwards from there! i didn't think i would be able to do it either, especially when actually running it, but taking one mile at a time and having confidence in your training goes a long way

• younghj1997
    That's awesome, congrats! So the question is now...do you have the marathon bug or will you be one and done? :)

I'm still a bit sore to think about signing up to the next one just yet, but I think I have definitely caught the bug! I'd love to loads more and see if I can keep beating my time! Do a couple more local half marathons and then I would like to run the London one next year!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Congratulations! You had a great time too, in spite of what you think. I completed my first (and probably only) marathon in January so I understand your feeling of accomplishment. I just had to mark it off my bucket list. Now I'm back to half marathons
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    I love reading race reports, so interesting to hear other runner's experiences. Congratulations on joining the marathoner club! Finishing (and without injury) is huge!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    congrats! just remember marathons (and triathlons) are like pringles - you can't do just one :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!