ice cream!

Options
akvaughn
akvaughn Posts: 8 Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking store bought, low calorie ice cream. Something tasty. No Halo top. Its too expensive.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    There's Enlightened which is equally priced. Or you can maybe catch a sale.
  • SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lemon ice?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not sure where in the world you are, but I like Edy's slow churned. Most of the flavors are around 120 cals per serving and taste good to me at least. I like Skinny Cow, but it's usually as expensive as HT. I also like the store brand sherberts and fudgsicles when I'm in the mood for them, usually fairly low-cal. Honestly though, if you're looking for "low calorie" it's going to be some combo of not tasting like ice cream and/or being expensive.

If you like HT, they seem to be making a serious push into new markets right now so keep an eye out for sales.

Personally, I'm fine eating a measured portion of Edy's most days, and fitting in 230 calories of gelato once a week, but I know that doesn't work for everyone!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just plan for the kind you like every day. Then if you don't eat it at least you didn't go over.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ENLIGHTENED, Arctic Zero and Halo Top (Arctic Zero is the cheapest, can be found at Wal-Mart), but Halo Top taste better.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    nada moo
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Seconding Edy's (may be Dreyer's in your area) Slow Churned. 100-130 calories for a serving.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Costco organic fudge popsicle at 90 cal each, same goes for the costco frozen Greek yogart for 90
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    regpark85 wrote: »
    ENLIGHTENED, Arctic Zero and Halo Top (Arctic Zero is the cheapest, can be found at Wal-Mart), but Halo Top taste better.

She said 'tasty' - that leaves Arctic Zero out, IMO. Tastes like weakly flavored ice chips. I just bite the bullet and pay the price for Halo Top or Enlightened.

Alternately, there are brands like Skinny Cow which make some fairly low-cal ice cream treats that don't taste bad.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I tried artic zero and halo top, both yuck! I save calories for my favorite ice cream. Eat it everyday! :)
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been on an ice cream sandwich kick lately. Anywhere from 120-170 calories. Best of both worlds, ice cream AND cookies in one package. The triple chocolate Market Pantry ones from Target are my top choice right now. Also like Edy's/Bryer's slow churned. I've tried three different flavors of Halo Top and that stuff just isn't ice cream. I can leave it out for 30 mins and it's still not creamy.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I saw some no sugar added at Walmart. It was only 70 cals. I was like... this can't taste good, lol

I forgot the brand...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    We made icecream by hand in food chem - no fancy churner. Ate it, and compared it to store bought varieties, including lower cal options. On comparison, I'd pick a smaller amount of good quality icecream over the cheap, low calorie stuff....
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

She said 'tasty' - that leaves Arctic Zero out, IMO. Tastes like weakly flavored ice chips. I just bite the bullet and pay the price for Halo Top or Enlightened.

Alternately, there are brands like Skinny Cow which make some fairly low-cal ice cream treats that don't taste bad.

LOL, guess it's personal preference... some of the Arctic Zero flavors don't taste much like ice cream you're right, but some are actually decent like the cookie dough chip is pretty darn good given what it is...etc. then again, im deprived so i enjoy any food i get to eat. id say to the OP, at least try Arctic Zero and see for yourself.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I found Halo Top at my local rinky dink Key Food ethnic supermarket for $3.00 a pint, regular price.
    Suffice it to say I bought a few and now have a reason to go there lol
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree that the Edy's slow churned is satisfying and pretty tasty. I like vanilla bean, so that helps me to stay lower calorie. Sometimes the grocery store will have their tiny containers 10 for $10, so that is a good time to stock up. It also helps me that they are already portioned out.

I like most Halo Top flavors, but I think Enlightened has a great butter pecan (so creamy! lol). Another suggestion is Dove miniature bars. They are individually wrapped, and one piece is 70 calories. Sometimes one treat can satisfy a craving, or you could eat several depending on your calorie allotment. Again, I like that they are all packaged individually. That helps me with portion control.
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I've had HT and enjoyed their taste, I'll definitely check out the others you listed. I hope Arctic Zero have some decent flavors to select from. Thanks for sharing!
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I only eat ice cream if it comes from a Mr Whippy that I have chased down like a cheetah. Then I get the classic 99 flake.