Gaining Weight

Options
talolipop
talolipop Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so in the past, I was able to lose 20 pounds in a 4 month period from 170-150. I wasn't able to go to the gym, I ate 1200 calories and that's it using MFP. So again I'm back at it. Had a baby and want to go from 170-150. I'm counting and I go to the gym 6 days a week and burn about 200-400 calories. I'm actually gaining? HELP PLEASE HELP.

Replies

• KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't restrict your calories so much, your body can go into starvation mode and want to hold on to everything you're giving it, not only that but your metabolism will be ruined. However, I don't have kids but I don't know if maybe horomones have changed or play a role in that. I workout about the same amount as you do including HIIT, strength training, and cardio and eat around 1500-1700 calories (I'm 5'5"/140lbs). Also are you weighing food, calculating macros? Those are all great tools that help with weight loss!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    KylaBlaze wrote: »
    I wouldn't restrict your calories so much, your body can go into starvation mode and want to hold on to everything you're giving it, not only that but your metabolism will be ruined. However, I don't have kids but I don't know if maybe horomones have changed or play a role in that. I workout about the same amount as you do including HIIT, strength training, and cardio and eat around 1500-1700 calories (I'm 5'5"/140lbs). Also are you weighing food, calculating macros? Those are all great tools that help with weight loss!

This is at least partially incorrect. Starvation mode isn't real. However it's likely you could eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight.

OP, more information might be needed to help you such as how long you have been trying to lose weight and how you are measuring your intake. It might also be helpful to open your diary to see of there's any logging errors.

Hormones can definitely play a part in how and when our bodies lose weight, especially as we are. However, it is still as simple as calories in > calories out, so if you are truly in a deficit, then you should be losing weight.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Starvation mode is not something that happens like this. OP is not losing weight. She is not eating 1200 calories.

OP, how long have you been consistently gaining weight, and how much have you gained?

If you're not losing weight, you are not accurately tracking and eating too many calories.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't restrict your calories so much, your body can go into starvation mode and want to hold on to everything you're giving it, not only that but your metabolism will be ruined.

Nope. Myth. Adaptive thermogenesis maybe, but only after a very long period of time. No advice here without context.

How long has it been since you started a deficit? How big is your deficit. ht? wt? age? Lots of factors to be aware before you can get any sort of real help here....

• talolipop
    Options
    I am 5-9 started May 1 at 168...now I'm 171,172,173 and climbing. I don't want to say I'm logging inaccurately because I used MFP in the past without working out and the pounds fell off 2 pounds per week as planned. I just wasn't working out. I had 2 kids at the time, now I have 3. I really want to know if the fact that I'm working out and not "eating my calories back" could be the problem. I didn't know this was a thing.
  • talolipop
    Options
    Kyla blaze you are probably right, I'm not eating that much, but are you losing or maintaining weight. I want to lose.
  • jennilee1985
    jennilee1985 Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't agree with calories in and calories out theory. I also don' believe all calories are created equal. Look at where the calories are coming from, refined carbs, sugar, and fruits. I personally restrict my intake of those types of calories and have found that eating a more high fat low carb diet has benefited me greatly after having a baby a little over a year ago. I used to just concern myself with calories alone and it did work when I was in my 20's pre baby but it wasn't easily done. I don't have some great will power and I need my food to taste good or I feel like I am suffering. So now I do gentle exercise like yoga and walking and I eat lots of healthy fats and few carbs. I feel wonderful and I feel like I am finally succeeding and I am feeling (2 months in) that this is sustainable. The fats make me feel full and satisfied. Studies have been done to show fat doesn't make a person fat and the word fattening is just unfortunate. Maybe we could chat somehow. I feel like us moms should have a network of people to talk to. Babies are so amazing and its a thrilling experience but stress and weight gain sometimes happens too and we need support.
  • jennilee1985
    jennilee1985 Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Oh, weight gain could be anything from fluid retention, to muscle growth. Did you check you body fat and lean muscle percentage with a scale that measures that? Or even check measurements week to week? I also, people might hate me for this, but I also think that losing weight is more about diet than exercise.Speaking from experience I don't get much actual exercise, it's usually running around after a toddler kind. I think that diet is everything and where the calories come from matter. If you just restrict calories you might lose muscle while your at it and you might feel tired and not into exercising. Eating back your burned calories may or may not help. I think if it's an avocado sure but cereal no.Low carbs means you body can't burn glycogen and must burn fat, therefore burning the fat on the body if your at a deficit or burning what you eat if your trying to maintain a certain weight. I am totally not an expert here but I have been researching this a lot while doing it myself. Check out the dietdoctor.com. https://www.dietdoctor.com/
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with calories in and calories out theory.
    Its not a theory, it's science. Not sure why you would be on a calorie counting website if you didn't believe that's how weight loss works. Nutrition from calories is not equal, but weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, regardless of the foods consumed.

OP, how often are you weighing yourself? Every day? Multiple times a day? How are you measuring? Are you using a food scale? Is it that time of the month or close to? Can you open your diary? Without knowing more I'd guess you might be eating more thand you think and/or you are retaining water.

• Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good post Jen, all calories are definitely not created equally or labeled equally. Here's an informative article on the topic for anyone that wants to learn more.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/problem-with-calorie-counting-calories-in

OP,

Post up a typical day of eating for you and your current exercise program. I'm confident that a few tweaks will get you moving the direction you want to be moving in.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Oh, weight gain could be anything from fluid retention, to muscle growth. Did you check you body fat and lean muscle percentage with a scale that measures that? Or even check measurements week to week? I also, people might hate me for this, but I also think that losing weight is more about diet than exercise.Speaking from experience I don't get much actual exercise, it's usually running around after a toddler kind. I think that diet is everything and where the calories come from matter. If you just restrict calories you might lose muscle while your at it and you might feel tired and not into exercising. Eating back your burned calories may or may not help. I think if it's an avocado sure but cereal no.Low carbs means you body can't burn glycogen and must burn fat, therefore burning the fat on the body if your at a deficit or burning what you eat if your trying to maintain a certain weight. I am totally not an expert here but I have been researching this a lot while doing it myself. Check out the dietdoctor.com. https://www.dietdoctor.com/

if someone is eating at a big deficit(which for some people 1200 calories is),they wont be gaining muscle. scales that measure those things arent accurate. losing weight is about calories,you dont have to exercise but exercise is good for your body in many ways,you will lose muscle when you diet no matter what you eat thats why its suggested to get enough protein and weight/resistance train to preserve any muscle you have already

low carb does not mean you burn body fat(you can do that in a deficit no matter how you eat).low carb is one thing keto is another and with keto your body burns the fat you CONSUME(low carb high fat). I have a metabolic disorder and even I lost weight eating things I like including"junk" food.I was in a deficit.even eating healthy foods can cause weight gain.If you are running around after a toddler then you are exercising. If you feel tired to where you cant even work out then its possible for that person their calorie intake is too low.

a lot of people around here think they had to start out at 1200 to lose, thats not true. for me I started out with like 2000 calories and lost,. now its less than that of course because I weigh less.

low carb/keto is not for everyone. I lost a lot of fat without doing low carb and keto and I continue to lose fat still and many days Im over carbs and calories,BUT Im still in a deficit.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Research water weight and its sources. Good news is that it is temporary. But starting a new workout routinE: water weight as your muscles adapt & repair. Assuming you are more than 6-8 weeks post partum also - if not your hormones could still be doing wacky things.

Eat at a reasonable defict and have patience. The water weight from a new or more intense workout program should wear off within 2-3 weeks.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do the things in this chart you aren't currently doing, OP.

jxafva009qie.jpg