Is pork "red meat"?

Options
2»

Replies

• gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Pork is a red meat. Its myoglobin content is lower than that of beef, but much higher than that of chicken. The USDA treats pork as a red meat. Pork is very high in thiamin (vitamin B1). Pork with its fat trimmed is leaner than the meat of most domesticated animals, but is still high in cholesterol and saturated fat.

In 1987 the U.S. National Pork Board began an advertising campaign to position pork as "the other white meat" — due to a public perception of chicken and turkey (white meat) as healthier than red meat. The campaign was highly successful and resulted in 87% of consumers identifying pork with the slogan.
  • dhcwong
    dhcwong Posts: 49
    Options
    In 1987 the U.S. National Pork Board began an advertising campaign to position pork as "the other white meat" — due to a public perception of chicken and turkey (white meat) as healthier than red meat. The campaign was highly successful and resulted in 87% of consumers identifying pork with the slogan.

That was one helluva effective campaign. Even people in MFP are still quoting it.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want. I just log the calories in when I'm done.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    From the following article: http://www.healthcastle.com/nutrition-myths.shtml

It is true that some studies have linked red meat with increased risk of heart disease, partly due to the saturated fat content. In fact, even chicken can contain as much saturated fat as lean cuts of beef or pork. For instance, a serving of sirloin beef or pork tenderloin has less saturated fats than the same serving size of chicken thigh with skin. It is true that poultry like chicken and turkey is naturally lower in saturated fats. But it is only true IF you do not eat the skin.

It is a nutrition myth, however, that red meat is altogether bad for your health. Instead of excluding red meats, choose leaner cuts of beef and pork. For beef, choose eye of round, top round roast, top sirloin and flank; for pork, choose tenderloin and loin chops.

What this dude said. I cooked a pork tenderloin tonight and just cut off the small fat "cap" that was on one end.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Beef, pork and lamb are all considered red meat. I think that "the other white meat" commercial confused a lot of people. If you want to get away from the red meat, stick with skinless chicken breasts, turkey, fish and shellfish.