Been eating crap lately. Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I feel drained or I need something for an energy boost I eat an apple. Its the fruit that seems to give me a quick boost of energy. Try a natural form of simple carbs (any fruit) for energy. Much better than greasy pizza and salted greasy chips lol I love those too I just make sure they are within parameters!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I do log everything I eat however I don't have a good scale. And I usually only eat half the calories I've burned from exercise.
    I do have a local grocery store that has a program like that.

Get a food scale and weigh everything....eyeballing portions results in 25-35% error rate in logging...

QFT. Instead of a fast, OP, buy a food scale. Trust us. ;)
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should do a small fast to help kickstart my healthy eating habit again.

Hmm better to just focus on eating cleaner and eating when you are hungry. Fasting will make you hangry then you get diet rage and crash lol jk.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should do a small fast to help kickstart my healthy eating habit again.

No, you should not
  • ladylambeau
    ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would just try mixing things up a bit. Maybe search Pinterest for a new recipe that looks fairly healthy - it may excite you to cook and taste something new. If you are like me, you may tend to get in a rut and eat the same foods over and over because you know they fit your macros, and eventually you just get sick of them.

Same with exercise. Skip the gym and go for a nature walk or hike, or play tennis with a friend. Just something that's totally different from what you were previously doing.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Be careful with fasting, you don't want to start a binge and restrict cycle.

A few things that work for me:
    1. Food is food. Yes, some food is nutritionally better than other food but food is not "crap." Just because you had some pizza doesn't mean suddenly you're not going to be able to lose weight. This morning I caved and had a couple chocolate chip pancakes that I had made for my kids. The little suckers didn't finish them, and I gave in and ate them. But you know what? I logged it, I have about 700 cal left for the day, so I'll be eating a lot of soup and drinking a lot of tea but it doesn't mean the day is shot.
    2. If you're craving pizza, figure out a way to make it healthy and work for your calories. If you're craving chips, buy one of those individual serving size bags. Make it work for you. I personally hate salads. If I'm craving something hot and cheesy I make a tuna melt or a personal size veggie pizza.
    3. Drink a ton of water. Tell yourself, I can eat it but first I need to drink a quart of water. Set yourself up with a quart of water and a straw and zone out on your phone while you suck it down. 90% of the time after I'm done with my water I don't want whatever it is I was craving.
    4. Make sure you're getting enough sleep! If you're craving something at night, and it's going to put you over your calorie goal for the day, just go to bed. At the very least, if you can't do that, brush teeth, floss, and mouthwash.

Again, I just want to reiterate that if you're craving hot, salty food, that does not mean you're craving crap, and there are hundreds of ways to satisfy that craving while keeping your weight loss goals in mind.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I always plan out what I'm going to buy before going grocery shopping because I'm forgetful and if I don't then I'm just in the store with no idea what to buy. I don't buy things that are unplanned unless I really need them (i.e. I'm out of bottled water but forgot to put it on the list) otherwise I stick to my list and that's that.

When I can't figure out what to eat or what to buy I troll Pinterest for recipes.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread and the great suggestions. I had three strong weeks on MFP and lost 6 of the 15 lbs I had to lose but this week I'm regressing. So in the same boat @white0rabbit0 and hoping to kick myself in the butt tomorrow.

Weighing and logging everything despite the embarrassment (chips AND goldfish crackers with lunch today) and hitting calorie goals anyway, and hoping I'll come out of this funk.

Also, I had a little sugar the last couple of days and I might try cutting that out completely again.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    The water suggestions is great by the way @EmbeeKay and also I for one have not been sleeping due to baby and snoring husband!
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The water suggestions is great by the way @EmbeeKay and also I for one have not been sleeping due to baby and snoring husband!

It works great for me @wellnesschaser!

The "no sleep due to baby" thing sucks! I personally find it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to meet any kind of diet goals if I get less than seven hours of sleep a night. Right now I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I wake frequently at night, and on nights I try to get by on six hours of sleep or so, the next day I want to eat EVERYTHING. With other kids to take care of, naps aren't always an option (honestly hardly ever an option) though they would help my diet immensely (nap vs more food... naps are better!). I personally feel like sleep is CRUCIAL to fitness, and I don't think people always realize that, but when you simply can't get enough sleep due to external factors, it can be really frustrating.

• Breanneh2017
    Breanneh2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your inspiration! I'm beating myself up hard core right now. I ate well all day, tracked all my food, then I ate a pint of ice cream. I tracked it too, but it looks horrible. And it makes me feel worse. I'm trying to be honest (why tracking is key) but being honest isn't changing my behavior. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Since you seem to be craving carbs, I wonder if adding some healthy carbs, such as whole grains, might help. It should definitely help with your energy levels. A lot of people swear by oatmeal, which I personally can't stand, but I like quinoa bowls. And maybe some dairy to take the edge off the cheese craving. The problem with stuff like chips is that it doesn't really satisfy in the long run, so eating it always makes me crave more.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eating pizza or chips?

Just use a scale and make them fit your calories.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are just a little burnt out and need to incorporate a cheat day .. u know a little something to look forward to.
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I could have written that same post! The past 2 weeks I have been struggling with eating crap at night. I do so well during the day and then after dinner.....you would think I hadn't eaten in a week! This week has been better, but the tendency is still there. I wish I knew why, all of a sudden. Trying to rein it in this week! We can do it!