words in england that mean something totally different in america!!

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    .... and memo to the Brits:

For God's sake, learn how to pronounce both: Aluminum & Vitamins

it's got to be embarrassing for all y'all.

If you would use our spelling of aluminium you guys would have no problem pronouncing it like we do. :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    and whats the score with trying to cut your food up with a fork?? that baffles me - use a knife?
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    and whats the score with trying to cut your food up with a fork?? that baffles me - use a knife?

We're lazy. Why dirty another dish if our fork will do the job? :lol:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Restroom : toilet
    don't get the 'rest' part.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Digestives are the best biscuits..theres never one at the bottom of my biscuit tin! The sugar free digestives in B&M are amazing and only 99p

Only if they're covered in chocolate ;) Can we all agree that "rich tea" biscuits are crap though?
    Charabz69 wrote: »
    ivylyon wrote: »
    New Zealand we call an elevator a lift, like the Brits.
    But we also use lift to mean to travel as a passenger in a car or other vehicle. It's a synonym to "ride"
    "Can I get a lift to work?" "Sure, I'll pick you up"
    "Do you need a ride?" "No, I'll get a lift with John"

Not sure of that usage is particular to NZ or NZ/OZ, or if it's a British thing too.
    Anyone else use it???

Yeah same in Britain, getting a lift is also getting a ride too :)

Although 'getting a ride' can also mean something entirely different.....:):)

Hahaha!
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    Restroom : toilet
    don't get the 'rest' part.

That was probably made up by one of those high society broads that thought saying toilet was just too disgusting for them. You know the type... the people that put emphasis on the wrong syllable of a word and keep their noses in the air.
  • MarcelloPasquale
    MarcelloPasquale Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Wait, what? That is bad, bad etiquette. The only things you can "cut" with a fork are omelette, quiche and cake. *shaking head in disbelief*
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options

Wait, what? That is bad, bad etiquette. The only things you can "cut" with a fork are omelette, quiche and cake. *shaking head in disbelief*

I use my fork to cut my waffles and pancakes. Or a tender piece of meat.
  • MarcelloPasquale
    MarcelloPasquale Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Waffle and pancake is acceptable, I guess. Meat? That's a no go.
    OTO I heard that in the US people cut the food, then put down the knife and pass the fork to the dominant hand. Is that true?
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

To be fair I only use a fork if I'm in an informal setting like at home and the food doesn't require a knife, most rice dishes fall into this category ;)
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options

Waffle and pancake is acceptable, I guess. Meat? That's a no go.
    OTO I heard that in the US people cut the food, then put down the knife and pass the fork to the dominant hand. Is that true?

It depends on how comfortable that person is with cutting and holding a fork with either hand. I do it the way you described if I cut up all my food at one time. If I eat while I cut, I'll keep the fork in my right hand (I'm left handed) and eat what I just cut then cut my next piece.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,138 Member
    Options
    A few terms took me aback a bit. I worked for a time as a liaison with my counterparts in a British regiment while in Germany years ago (West Germany....)...and picked up some of the words. The only one that really continued to confuse, or rather startle me was "pissed". We yanks considered pissed to mean pissed off, or angry. To the Brits, it was drunk, intoxicated....Whenever asked if I was pissed, I would instinctively say that I had no reason to be pissed. lol
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    gcibsthom wrote: »
    A few terms took me aback a bit. I worked for a time as a liaison with my counterparts in a British regiment while in Germany years ago (West Germany....)...and picked up some of the words. The only one that really continued to confuse, or rather startle me was "pissed". We yanks considered pissed to mean pissed off, or angry. To the Brits, it was drunk, intoxicated....Whenever asked if I was pissed, I would instinctively say that I had no reason to be pissed. lol

I've heard American's (myself included) say pissy drunk. Maybe we lost something in the translation :lol:
  • spikypaddy
    spikypaddy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I worked as a barman on and off for over a decade. I remember an American couple came in and the wife asked for a Campari and soda. I poured her a measure of Campari topped up with soda water - turned out that this was definitely not what she wanted, she'd expected Sprite or 7Up (lemonade to us Brits).
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snogging - in the States we call that making out or kissing.
    Ring on the telly - in the States it's call on the phone
    Digestive - cookie here in the US. I still think calling something as wonderful and delicious as a cookie a "digestive" is a travesty. That word makes me think of the actual act of digestion, which isn't appetizing at all, lol.

A digestive is a very specific biscuit made by McVities (Digestive_biscuit). Orginally when biscuits were invented they were made high in fibre to help with the gluttony of the rich, so they were actually for digestive purposes. The rest are just called biscuits.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Someone told me you call cigarettes *kitten*. I just recently quit smoking. So I guess I no longer puff on *kitten*.
    That's true.

Before I got used to automatically recognising whether that one was being used in an American or British context, the famous Westboro Baptist Church placards always used to make me think of anti-smoking campaigns.

It also took me a few months to learn to never refer to cigarettes that way on American-dominated web forums.

And you're supposed to stick one in your gob.

To me (an American), a gob would be an icky glob full of something. Like, a gob full of styling gel.

I remember way back when I was quitting smoking, I was on a message board where there were yanks and Brits. One guy mentioned that he was tired of the look of a fa... sticking out of his gob. So we started a group, the Fa**less Gobs. It was tossed pretty quickly by the mods, LOL. We didn't mean anything judgmental, by far, it was just that we Americans thought it was so shocking-slash-funny, that particular word being used so freely (to us it would be very shocking/derogatory).
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Bugger :D

I think the actual meaning of this is the same on both sides of the pond, it's just that Americans don't usually use it as an expletive.

I can think of another that has an extremely derogatory meaning in the U.S. but is slang in the UK for a cigarette. The original derogatory meaning was probably the same for both and referred to burning a certain segment of society during heretic burning times.

I've never heard an American use bugger, as an expletive or otherwise... unless they had had cross cultural exposure...

It's amusing that the MFP *kitten* filter doesn't pick it up...

Right. Exactly. (Although I have seen the word used descriptively if in hushed tones here for sure. It is just that, again, it is not as common ...we have other words and word combinations we would tend to use instead.)

OTOH many people do have cross-cultural exposure.

But even so, "bugger" would be the extreme rarity.

However, my point was that it actually is a word on this side of the pond which has exactly the same original (very graphic) meaning for both.

'Bugger' when used in the UK, (I say UK because I am from Scotland, not England), is quite commonly used. It's not classed as being 'extremely derogatory', far from it! In fact you tend to find that 'posh' people use the word bugger more often.

Oh and by the way, we don't drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, we drive on the left........

No, we don't consider it derogatory either (derogatory is more about insulting one particular group, and that just doesn't fit here), we consider it shocking (and it gives a visual of the act). :) Hence we really don't use it. I'm aware that Brits do not have the same view, which is why I brought it up. :) The fact that we use it and think of it so differently fits the idea of the thread.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I think the actual meaning of this is the same on both sides of the pond, it's just that Americans don't usually use it as an expletive.

I can think of another that has an extremely derogatory meaning in the U.S. but is slang in the UK for a cigarette. The original derogatory meaning was probably the same for both and referred to burning a certain segment of society during heretic burning times.

I've never heard an American use bugger, as an expletive or otherwise... unless they had had cross cultural exposure...

Right. Exactly. (Although I have seen the word used descriptively if in hushed tones here for sure. It is just that, again, it is not as common ...we have other words and word combinations we would tend to use instead.)

However, my point was that it actually is a word on this side of the pond which has exactly the same original (very graphic) meaning for both.

'Bugger' when used in the UK, (I say UK because I am from Scotland, not England), is quite commonly used. It's not classed as being 'extremely derogatory', far from it! In fact you tend to find that 'posh' people use the word bugger more often.

Oh and by the way, we don't drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, we drive on the left........

No, we don't consider it derogatory either (derogatory is more about insulting one particular group, and that just doesn't fit here), we consider it shocking (and it gives a visual of the act). :) Hence we really don't use it. I'm aware that Brits do not have the same view, which is why I brought it up. :) The fact that we use it and think of it so differently fits the idea of the thread.

Im american and I think a lot of americans get offended easily over words or stupid things compared to people in the UK. or at least thats what I have witnessed.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Im american and I think a lot of americans get offended easily over words or stupid things compared to people in the UK. or at least thats what I have witnessed.

Yeah, good thing Brits are never offended by Yanks. LOL.

(ducking)

I kind of thought that was why you guys loved us...
  • curborough
    curborough Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Digestives are the best biscuits..theres never one at the bottom of my biscuit tin! The sugar free digestives in B&M are amazing and only 99p

Only if they're covered in chocolate ;) Can we all agree that "rich tea" biscuits are crap though?
    ivylyon wrote: »
    New Zealand we call an elevator a lift, like the Brits.
    But we also use lift to mean to travel as a passenger in a car or other vehicle. It's a synonym to "ride"
    "Can I get a lift to work?" "Sure, I'll pick you up"
    "Do you need a ride?" "No, I'll get a lift with John"

Not sure of that usage is particular to NZ or NZ/OZ, or if it's a British thing too.
    Anyone else use it???

Yeah same in Britain, getting a lift is also getting a ride too :)

Although 'getting a ride' can also mean something entirely different.....:):)

Hahaha!
    Yes rich tea are the worst..and does anybody remember Marie biscuits and thin arrowroot biscuits!..theyre awful..my mum always used to buy them!