Weird question but do you wash your hair after exercise?

Options

Replies

• krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you've heard this before but here goes....It's usually oily BECAUSE you wash it every day. When you wash it, you take away all the natural oils and your scalp works overtime to put it back. When you start washing it every few days, give it about 2-3 weeks, you will notice a drastic decrease in oil production simply because it's no longer necessary for your scalp to work overtime. Unless you have a medical condition that causes it. [/quote]

I've tried doing that, but my mom's hair is the same way - plus my hair is very thick. I've never had any problems with my hair being too dry or unhealthy - even after I have it colored. I never dry my hair and I rarely have to brush it. Thanks for the tip though, maybe it'll help someone else.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wash mine 2-3 times a week with conditioner? I only use shampoo about 3 times a year when I go get it cut.

I rinse frequently- but unless I straight was heavy sweating- I don't wash it- and or sometimes I don't even rinse it. I just let it live in a bun- I never take it down so I really don't GAF what it looks like. It's the only reason I continue to box color my hair and my hair isn't completely trashed.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have curly hair too and I probably wash it with actual shampoo once or twice a week (I wash it as I feel it needs it and not on a schedule). I rinse it every day though because I need to wet it for curl formation. I condition in shower with a daily conditioner most days and a deep when I feel I need it, and I use Miss Jessie's leave in condish every day. It's needed to be washed less and less over the years that I've been washing it depending on how it feels. I do find that I have to rinse it in my post-workout shower or my head feels itchy, but I don't generally wash it after unless it needs it.
  • MichellePatte92
    MichellePatte92 Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Almost butt-length, thick hair checking in and I wash my hair every single day. If I don't, it gets very oily and itches like crazy. Dry shampoo does not help. I exercise first thing in the morning, and then immediately hop in the shower afterwards to get ready for work.

Also, I've tried the whole "traning" thing for a month to see if I could skip, but I can't stand the oily/itchy feeling every day. My hair is still healthy despite my monthly colouring and daily washing. Not everyone's hair is created equal.
  • mylasaga
    mylasaga Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Almost butt-length, thick hair checking in and I wash my hair every single day. If I don't, it gets very oily and itches like crazy. Dry shampoo does not help. I exercise first thing in the morning, and then immediately hop in the shower afterwards to get ready for work.

Also, I've tried the whole "traning" thing for a month to see if I could skip, but I can't stand the oily/itchy feeling every day. My hair is still healthy despite my monthly colouring and daily washing. Not everyone's hair is created equal.

This. My hair is just below my shoulders, in great shape, colored every couple months, and washed pretty much every day. I just get way too sweaty and gross when I work out, I can't handle not washing it. My sister is a hairdresser and always on me about washing my hair too much, but I am so neurotic about dirty hair that I would rather risk dry hair than have greasy, gross, sweat hair. And honestly my hair is not dry at all even with washing it every day.
    I've tried the no-shampoo, baking soda and ACV, all-natural shampoo bars, all varieties of dry shampoo, every fancy salon shampoo, washing once a week, using no conditioner, using only conditioner - I have tried it all. I now just use a good quality shampoo and conditioner my sister sells at her salon and I wash it pretty much every day and my hair looks just great. It's just what works for me.
    I really think it all just depends on your hair type, how much you heat style, and what you are personally comfortable with.
  • JennyHsavage
    JennyHsavage Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Twice maybe 3 times a week. My hair was in terrible condition when I washed it every day after run/cycle or any training. I found it started to break when I dried it too... now I let it dry out after training on non wash days and it's very healthy and down to my bum nearly. When it drys I chuck it up in a high ponytail
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't wash my hair after workouts because my hair is dyed, and washing it makes the dye come out / fade more quickly. I use dry shampoo every other day and wash it in water, with dye-friendly shampoo and a deep conditioner, once a week.
  • BaileyC36
    BaileyC36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I shower in the morning before work and wash my hair and everything, and then afterwork I go workout then shower (again). The second time I just rinse off, clean the sweat off and wash my face real good. I try not to wash my hair twice a day because thats no good. But I'm also young so it gets a bir greasy. Every few days I'll just skip the morning shampoo and throw in some dry shampoo to give my hair a break.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I used to have to wash it every day whether I got sweaty or not because I have something similar to (but not) mild seborrheic dermatitis. There are no flakes or rash/redness, just sticky gunk.

Regular shampoo and dandruff shampoo couldn't get all of the gunk off of my scalp. These days, I'm using a shampoo that's geared towards preventing hair loss (not a problem for me) and is more acidic than most and contains beta-hydroxy acid. Works like a charm and I can go 4-5 days without washing and still have a clean, non-itchy scalp and hair.

So, if I exercise and don't get really sweaty then I don't wash my hair afterward. That'd be weight lifting at the gym and easy running in < 70 degree weather. Running in the summer though, I'm going to be dripping sweat. Showering after those runs is an absolute must.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    No. My hair is usually just fine once the sweat evaporates.
  • Amys712
    Amys712 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes! I look like I took a shower by the time I done with my workouts. Haha. There's no way I could not wash my hair after that.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair once a week - Oh and yes I do sweat profusely on my workout. Still it is an occasional rinse with with just water after a workout, but mostly I just let it dry. Not doable to do it 6x per week - my hair is dry enough as it it is It would turn into straw and be static to the max.
    Plus all those petrochemical chemicals used in shampoo just irritate my scalp. Once a week is really enough for me.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I wash it on the days I work out (I go to work after I workout), but I feel like I need to switch it up because my curly hair is suffering at the moment for it. I probably should look into (like other curly haired members say) using conditioner for the daily shower and shampooing only 2x a week and see how that goes. My hair is curly but very fine- I have struggled for years to find the right balance for it. But I have never had an itchy scalp- that's interesting that other people have that issue.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    on days I dont wash I do what jemhh does,I rinse it really well or use a conditioner to wash it with. you could also try running ACV(apple cider vinegar) through it once in awhile as it will clean your hair too. just make sure to use a little conditioner as it can make it a little dry

Go to timeout, you mentioned ACV!!

:)

lol for hair for hair I promise
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

I have tried the training thing also, once on purpose and once forced due to surgery. My hair still looked oily if not washed every day. I have a little luck with just conditioning it, but it still felt gross to me.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have thin, fine hair cut to my chin. I think how often you wash your hair is down to your hair and scalp type, as well as what you're comfortable with. Since I have so little hair, a small amount of oil will make my hair look greasy and thinner. I wash it most days, but try to time my shower to be after running or hiking that I don't have to shower twice a day. I don't typically wash my hair after yoga, strength training/lifting, or light to moderate cardio. In the winter I can get away with showering/washing my hair every other day.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have thin, fine hair cut to my chin. I think how often you wash your hair is down to your hair and scalp type, as well as what you're comfortable with. Since I have so little hair, a small amount of oil will make my hair look greasy and thinner. I wash it most days, but try to time my shower to be after running or hiking that I don't have to shower twice a day. I don't typically wash my hair after yoga, strength training/lifting, or light to moderate cardio. In the winter I can get away with showering/washing my hair every other day.

How you wear your hair will make a big difference too. I normally wear my hair up (otherwise snarled knotted mess) and don't need to wash it much. But it gets oily a lot faster if worn down (longer sections of hair lying in contact with scalp all day; when worn up, most of the hair is lifted out of contact with the scalp).

I do need to wash it (well- at least rinse the salt out) on longer runs (~10+ miles) in the summer.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    on days I dont wash I do what jemhh does,I rinse it really well or use a conditioner to wash it with. you could also try running ACV(apple cider vinegar) through it once in awhile as it will clean your hair too. just make sure to use a little conditioner as it can make it a little dry

Go to timeout, you mentioned ACV!!

:)

lol for hair for hair I promise

when ever my scalp gets super itchy for whatever reason- I use ACV to help actually wash it- it works really well.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My hair is thin and naturally oily. When I work out hard it can actually get drenched and my pony tail will stay up in place when I take the tie out. I have to wash it daily.

My stylist suggested washing every other day and just rinsing the rest but that didn't work for me.
  • anaxmann
    anaxmann Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My hair is short (above the shoulders), curly ,and fine. I used to shampoo and condition every day. Then I fell victim to the "washing your hair every day is bad" line. I went through a myriad of different methods, including baking soda, vinegar, condition only, wash every other day, make sure it stays dry in the shower, cleansing conditioner, fancy shampoo and conditioner, etc. Nothing worked, I had build-up, frizz, dry scalp, flakes, flatness, no curl, or some combination thereof. Now I use a 2-in-1 cream cleanser, which is low to no foam. I use it every day and I don't use a shampoo product. Note: my hair doesn't get oily, but I do have curl problems if I only rinse. Sometimes I skip the shower, if I don't go to the gym, but I have to wear my hair up because the curls look crazy.