Fiber and calcium foods or supplements???

Options
Hi guys, just wondering if someone can advise me on my current diet. I've noticed that I repeatability fail to met my calcium and fiber for the day. I have a fairly clean diet which I eat vegetables and dairy products on a daily basis but I still fail to met my target (which what my fitness plan recommended). I'm just wondering what type of foods or supplements (more towards the food I would prefer) you guys have to aid this. Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    raspberries have 12g fiber and 90 calories in the little 6oz containers at the store. One of those and you are halfway there
  • daiparfitt65
    daiparfitt65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    raspberries have 12g fiber and 90 calories in the little 6oz containers at the store. One of those and you are halfway there

Thanks for the reply. Raspberries sound like a really good idea I could easily add them to my diet as well.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Calcium: broccoli, leeks, fortified bread and breakfast cereals. I don't eat dairy, so I have fortified soya milk instead.

Have you checked the accuracy of the database entries for the dairy products you eat? Seems odd you wouldn't be reaching mfp's target, otherwise.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I add baobab powder to yogurt to help hit my fibre and calcium goals. Tastes really nice and low calorie as well.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Fiber is directly related to food choices; I wouldn't bother with supplements, I would try to tweak my foods to get more. Berries in general are very good. Beans, chickpeas, chia seeds, flax seeds (ground is better), apples with the peel, cocoa powder (as an ingredient), carrots are the items in my food log that jump out as good fiber.

I'm less worried about calcium, iron, etc. and will just pop a prenatal vitamin to even things out. I realize this is totally subjective. How much you can get through diet is a very personal thing.
  • daiparfitt65
    Options
    Calcium: broccoli, leeks, fortified bread and breakfast cereals. I don't eat dairy, so I have fortified soya milk instead.

Have you checked the accuracy of the database entries for the dairy products you eat? Seems odd you wouldn't be reaching mfp's target, otherwise.

Thanks for the reply. I eat broccoli most days but leeks and cereal is a great idea. To be honest I've not checked the database accuracy it didn't even enter my head. I could increase my cheese in take but I was generally wondering what other people do for ideas. Once again thanks for your reply.
  • daiparfitt65
    Options
    I add baobab powder to yogurt to help hit my fibre and calcium goals. Tastes really nice and low calorie as well.

Thanks for the reply. I've not heard of baobab powder I'll take a look. Thanks again
  • daiparfitt65
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Fiber is directly related to food choices; I wouldn't bother with supplements, I would try to tweak my foods to get more. Berries in general are very good. Beans, chickpeas, chia seeds, flax seeds (ground is better), apples with the peel, cocoa powder (as an ingredient), carrots are the items in my food log that jump out as good fiber.

I'm less worried about calcium, iron, etc. and will just pop a prenatal vitamin to even things out. I realize this is totally subjective. How much you can get through diet is a very personal thing.

Thanks for all the choices. Agree I too perfer food over supplements but sometimes it's nice to have the supplements as a backup. Looks like adding seeds and berries to my Porridge in the morning could really aid me. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Fiber One cereal and berries are a staple for me!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I eat Calcium gummy chews-- kind of a treat while getting in some calcium.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorite go-tos for a quick shot of fiber are:

1) Olé - Xtreme Wellness! Tortilla Wraps. They make a plain, a tomato basil, and a spinach & herb flavor that are 50 calories and 11g of fiber per tortilla.
    2) Fiber One Original Bran Cereal. It's 60 calories and 14g of fiber for one 30g serving.

If I wanted, I could have one tortilla and one bowl of cereal and be done with my fiber for the entire day.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Canned sardines and salmon with the skin and bones are both great sources of calcium. If you are pre-menopause, calcium really isn't as big an issue as getting enough iron, BTW.

Good sources of iron include liver, heart, red meat, pork and poultry; Seafood; Beans; and, Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach.

There are also all different kinds of fiber. Having a "blended" salad (parsley, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil and lemon with sea salt) will help you get your fiber especially if you are "low carb".

Psyllium seed husk and rice bran fiber in smoothies are both virtually undetectable and are both good sources of extra fiber if it's a problem of not going.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

1) Olé - Xtreme Wellness! Tortilla Wraps. They make a plain, a tomato basil, and a spinach & herb flavor that are 50 calories and 11g of fiber per tortilla.
    2) Fiber One Original Bran Cereal. It's 60 calories and 14g of fiber for one 30g serving.

If I wanted, I could have one tortilla and one bowl of cereal and be done with my fiber for the entire day.

These ole wraps are amazing. I personally can't eat them everyday but it's a perfect low calorie way to get in fiber.

I usually eat bran cereal every morning.

Fiber one cinnamon cake baked bars are out of this world. For 90 calories and 5 grams of fiber, its better than cake.

Popcorn! If I don't have calories or fat grams I use a oil spray but for 240 calories I can have a huge bowl of popcorn and almost 10 grams of fiber.

Berries are a good source. I personally don't have much access to anything but frozen fruit so I don't eat a ton.

I occasionally have broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts but honestly, I have to eat a ton to get enough fiber in and tmi I cannot eat a lot of them. I literally don't even want to be around myself when it starts affecting me.

I can't use any type of supplement found in the pharmacy section. It causes such bad stomach pains- worse than being constipated.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I just discovered those tortillas! I have wrapped a banana in it and used it for a chicken salad wrap! Fiber One and Bran Buds (I think by Kellogs) has changed my fiber life!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Yes these two are a staple in my house, plus Bran Buds B)