Not eating back exercise calories

Options
bikecheryl
bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
Just wondering if this will affect my weight loss?
I've been ignoring my exercise calories and just concentrating on my 1500 calorie limit.
Background...... I'm a 57 lb female, 270 lbs, sedentary job...
I'll be getting a knee replacement in the new years so really concentrating on weight loss.
My primary exercise is biking for right now, 30 minutes or so every day, hope to add some swimming, kayaking and weight/resistance training in but not for another month or so.
I don't really trust the amount of calories burned on MFP, they can range from 80-1200 so I'm just considering anything I burn a bonus.
Note: I'm doing good with the 1500 calorie limit and I'm happy with my weight loss - 18 lbs in 6 weeks... alot of water right off the bat I think.
Soo....... if it aint't broke, don't fix it???????

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, it's fine not to eat back your exercise calories. If you were doing more high-impact workouts, you'd probably want to eat more to fuel your muscles and keep your energy up. But if you feel good, keep doing what you're doing.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    I should have added that I use to run ..... alot...... 17 half marathons, 4 fulls and an ultra. Then osteoarthritis raised it's ugly head.
    So I do understand the philosphy of fueling for performance.
    Just not sure how it will work when I'm back to baby steps. :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Just wondering if this will affect my weight loss?
    I've been ignoring my exercise calories and just concentrating on my 1500 calorie limit.
    Background...... I'm a 57 lb female, 270 lbs, sedentary job...
    I'll be getting a knee replacement in the new years so really concentrating on weight loss.
    My primary exercise is biking for right now, 30 minutes or so every day, hope to add some swimming, kayaking and weight/resistance training in but not for another month or so.
    I don't really trust the amount of calories burned on MFP, they can range from 80-1200 so I'm just considering anything I burn a bonus.
    Note: I'm doing good with the 1500 calorie limit and I'm happy with my weight loss - 18 lbs in 6 weeks... alot of water right off the bat I think.
    Soo....... if it aint't broke, don't fix it???????

The lowest default minimum is 1200 and you are eating at 1500 - that's a good sign. Exercise calories weren't included in your daily calorie goal, so MFP is designed for you to eat those calories back to prevent the deficit from becoming too large. You're right, many of the exercise calorie burns in MFP are inflated. As you get closer to goal, as you become more active, you will want to eat some exercise calories back to support existing lean muscle mass. Because you have a ways to go (and you aren't at the minimum).....you're good for now.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing well. If you are not hungry then I don't see a need to add back those calories. In my experience on heavy training days, if I don't eat enough I feel drained - so I would just be aware of that and go with how you feel. Everyone's journey is different. Great job and Congrats on the loss
  • robertwieck
    robertwieck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would agree with others that have already posted, the additional calories burned from 30 mins of recreational cycling is probably 200-300. Not going to make a huge difference, so I think its ok to stick to the 1500. If you start to exercise more than 500 cals or more than 1 hour per day I would increase the calorie intake to offset some of that... cutting too many calories for an extended period can melt your muscle mass... my $.02.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone..... it's nice to get some confirmation that i'm on the right track.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This is what I do. I eat at maintenance calories and don't eat my exercise calories back.

Also, I've had a hip replacement from osteoarthritis. It was the best thing ever. Good luck!