Lost 35 lb in 143 days

Options
amrita14sri
amrita14sri Posts: 11 Member
edited May 2017 in Success Stories
Hi, After reading so many success stories, I am inspired to share my story as well.

I am 32yrs old and my height is 5’ 5.5’’ . I am currently 147 lb and I weighed around 182 lb in Dec 2016.

I weighed around 143 lb from the age of 17 - 22. After my college was over, I shifted out from my parents house and lived in a different city. I had a great job, was active most of the time but was eating out. And so I put on around 10 lb.

I attempted weight loss with gym and low cal diet in 2007, was success but not healthy. Achieved 132 lb weight but after some time, started eating normal food, non veg and oily food and back to 154lb.

Then in 2010, I met my fiancé (whose my husband now), I attempted to loose some weight. I did yoga, did some silly low cal dieting again, and was back to 132 lb. As soon as achieved my target weight of 132 lb (Nov 2010), I got casual again, and started eating out again too much. And believe me, Indian restaurant food is super unhealthy coz of the fat content. Especially, if u like butter chicken.

And by the time of my marriage, I was 150 lb :smiley:

Now obviously, lifestyle remained the same and more fatty food was a part of lifestyle. More non veg food, Indian coconut based curries and on n on. Even if I never overate, my cal intake was enormous and I kept on gaining weight. I believe my daily calorie intake was around 4000 cal( Could be an exaggeration) .I was 170 lb. And soon I was striked by a severe knee pain. Diagnosed as meniscus tear in my right knee. I took some homeopathic medicines, felt better but the biggest culprit was my weight. I had to fix it to be healthy again.

So I was basically 170 lb in 2014 Dec. I joined MyfitnessPal that time, but logging food daily was not fun so I stopped using it. My lifestyle was lazy, Had a desk job (IT Engineer), not much of activity and watching tv was a fav pastime. We have maids for household work in India so really not much to do than just cooking and eating :smile:

Life went on like this for few years, and I shifted to USA (with my husband). And started the journey of some awesome junk food (Burgers) for couple of months and I was 184 lb. I had no job, so not an active life. Kept trying to loose weight but nothing happened. It went to 174 lb then back to 182 lb.

But then 2016, 30 Dec, I decided to have a resolution for 2017. I had to loose weight. So I joined MyfitnessPal again.
I bought a kitchen weighing scale to calculate the exact calories in my food. I used less oil in food. I baked my own bread and cookies (was a whole lot of fun). I walked a lot. I did yoga, primarily Pranayam and suryanamaskar. Pranayam credit goes to my parents and Baba Ramdev (known person in India), who inspired me to do it. Ofcourse, Baba Ramdev was an inspiration to my parents as well :smiley: . I follow him on Youtube a lot.

I have been enjoying food in the last 143 days , but limiting to 1200 cals. Sometimes i had days wen my calories intake was around 1800 but thats acceptable. Eating everything, from meat, dairy , cookies and everything but in controlled manner. I even enjoy occasional homemade pizza. I just wanna say, I love cheese so I could never stop eating it. And mind it, I haven’t hit the gym yet.

I ate home cooked food and ate out rarely. And now I am 147 lb. I have a goal weight of 135 lb. Last few pounds are difficult to loose, it seems but I feel good now. Less knee pain and god please, I don’t want it at all.

Now, no more going to the unhealthy food habits ever. And honestly, my healthy cooking habits are good for my husband as well. Hope he thinks the same way :wink:

I also realized that silly low cal diets can live only for some time, you loose muscle mass and become much more unhealthier than u were earlier. Everything in moderation in important. Love the micronutrients feature of Myfitnesspal.

I and my husband, we both had lost hope that I would ever loose weight but I think, hope works only when you believe in it. And I had to take the first step. And Since I lost 35 lb, My husband gifted me a Samsung gear fit 2. and oh my god, I love this device.

I am hoping to quit meat completely and minimize dairy( excluding cheese ), so lets hope I do it.

Before:

ofhj81n3bwob.jpg

After:

y3ceqlxvvlu7.jpg

So good luck to all the lovely people out there who are trying to loose weight. You will be healthy soon. Its achievable.

I know the post is long, I wanted to share the story.

Replies

• norahkathleen
    norahkathleen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing your story. you look incredible (and are beautiful...in both pictures). way to go!
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wow! congratulations on your weight loss! you look great!! :-D
  • shwetasharmamalik
    shwetasharmamalik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Superb ! fabulous work, your honest and well written post will certainly help others dreaming about weight loss. all the best
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. We all have our own journey and some of us just take a few detours :).
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, an amazing achievement!
  • Patty1015A
    Patty1015A Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and how sweet of your husband!
  • monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What an awesome story. Thank you for sharing it. I'm tired of yo-yo dieting as well. It's tough trying to lose weight for 6 months out of the year, only to gain it all back the last 6 months. You look great BTW!
  • amrita14sri
    Options
    Thank u everyone.. :)
  • findingmi
    findingmi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am an Indian woman 5' 5" and hoping to lose 35 pounds by October. You are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • sansob
    sansob Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! Very inspiring post! Please add me if you like to. (Fellow Indian trying to lose weight) thanks!
  • amrita14sri
    Options
    Just wanna say, no offense to Indian women, They r really hard working and manage outside and household work efficiently.. I was talking abt myself that I just cooked and ate :)
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Great work and determination! Congrats
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!