Raw fruit

Options
I eat a lot of raw fruit, I can eat 5 oranges in one sitting. I typically come in under the 1200 calorie count but over the sugar goal. What does this mean towards my weight loss goals?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My quick cheat sheet to how you know if you are eating too much fruit:

Threshold question: Am I eating a lot of it? -- no reason to consider these other things if you are not. If so:

(1) Am I over calories (a reasonable calorie limit, not an artificially low one)? OR

(2) Am I struggling with satiety? OR

(3) Am I low on protein? (consider that you may want more than the MFP default if you are on low calories. Eating about your lean body mass (in lbs) in grams of protein or, say .65-.85 g/lb of a healthy goal weight can be helpful in protecting against muscle loss.) OR

(4) Am I either very low on fat or failing to eat sources of essential fatty acids like fatty fish, avocado, nuts and seeds, olives and olive oil? OR

(5) Am I low on vegetables and perhaps substituting fruit consumption for adequate vegetable consumption.

If no to all of these, I wouldn't worry about the fruit consumption. If yes to one or more, maybe consider if the diet is unbalanced.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Don't strive to come under 1200, reach 1200 net...

If you diet is balanced you are good, if its not, reassess, eat your protein and fats!!
  • celeste821
    celeste821 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    You could eat 1200 calories of oranges or 1200 calories of MacDonalds a day and you'd still lose the same amount of weight.

5 oranges a day would have me worrying about your dental health though. Citrus is very acidic and can wear down tooth enamel. I'd recommend cutting back on the citrus and swishing your mouth thoroughly with water after you eat one.

I do that anyway lol as a child I use to sit at the kitchen table after dinner and watch my grandma, mother, aunts, and great aunt swish with water. I don't know why that was so fascinating to me but it's a family tradition. But at 51 I still have all my teeth and in good condition
  • celeste821
    Options
    Nothing.

Weight loss is determined by the calories you eat, not the amount of sugar. But if you're regularly eating lots of raw fruit and coming in under 1,200 calories, making sure you meet your needs for protein and fat may be a concern.

I do tend to come in under that, mostly protein so what is the concern with that? Why is the fat important?
  • celeste821
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    My dentist told me not to brush right after eating cause you can do more damage..just rinse.

Interesting because my habit is brushing once a day but I floss after every meal and swish lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    celeste821 wrote: »
    Nothing.

Weight loss is determined by the calories you eat, not the amount of sugar. But if you're regularly eating lots of raw fruit and coming in under 1,200 calories, making sure you meet your needs for protein and fat may be a concern.

I do tend to come in under that, mostly protein so what is the concern with that? Why is the fat important?

Your body needs a certain amount of fat and protein. Going too low can result in you not feeling your best or even make you sick.

They're both essential nutrients.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

The fat is important because a number of vitamins are fat soluble and your body cannot process them without dietary fat - A, D, E, K being the major ones that require fat intake.
  • celeste821
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Don't strive to come under 1200, reach 1200 net...

If you diet is balanced you are good, if its not, reassess, eat your protein and fats!!

I am not trying to but my diet is unhealthy I come in under calories and protein but over fat and sodium, so lately I have used the webmd website recommendations to choose healthy frozen dinners because I don't like to cook and routinely order takeout
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It probably means you are lacking in essential nutrition elsewhere.
  • celeste821
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Nothing.

The fat is important because a number of vitamins are fat soluble and your body cannot process them without dietary fat - A, D, E, K being the major ones that require fat intake.

Wow I have vit D deficiency
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about oranges eating away your teeth, although brushing after eating anything is a good habit. The ph of an orange is between 3 and 4. The same as an apple. Lemons on the other hand, are about 2.0. But few people snack on lemons.

Actually, brushing immediately after something highly acidic is a bad idea, as your enamel is softened from the acid. Better to rinse well and/or wait to brush a while so your saliva can bring the acid levels back to normal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of raw fruit, I can eat 5 oranges in one sitting. I typically come in under the 1200 calorie count but over the sugar goal. What does this mean towards my weight loss goals?

IDK about your weight loss goals, but I can't imagine you have a healthy balanced diet if < 1200 calories includes 5 oranges.