Need help lowering bf percentage

rk3431
rk3431 Posts: 10 Member
Hi everyone

I'm looking for advice.

I'm looking to cut from 23% body fat to 12-15% within 6-8 weeks. I eat healthy, exercise 3 times a week and recently cut my daily caloric intake to 1500. You'd never guess my body fat percentage would be so high just looking at me, but alas the scale don't lie

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    not happening in that time frame.
  • rk3431
    Thanks for the response.

What's a reasonable timetable? Any advice?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2017
    rk3431 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.

Height? Weight?

Weight lifting background?

Gender?

Method used to identify BF%?
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    I'm no expert, but since most people on here aren't either, here's my two cents...

1. You'll probably need to increase your workouts from three days per week to five.
    2. HIIT programs are very good for burning fat and building muscle. Many gyms have classes or you can get video programs like Insanity or T-25. Just be careful if you're prone to injury. There is a LOT of jumping in these programs and they are TOUGH if you're not used to it.
    3. 1500 calories may not actually be enough for you. I don't know this for sure since I know almost nothing about you, but if your focus is cutting body fat, WHAT you eat is more important than how much (within reason). Focus on eating a whole food diet that is low in processed foods and added sugars. Keep your non-fruit carbs limited to two to three servings of "smart carbs" like sweet potatoes, corn tortillas, oatmeal, wild rice or quinoa per day, include healthy fats like nuts and avocados and up your protein a little higher than the .36g per pound of body weight recommended.

You may not get to your goal of 12-15% body fat in 6-8 weeks, but if you work hard, you will make progress. You never know what you're capable of until you try.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    do a utube search on intermitent fasting to help with cutting BF%
  • TavistockToad
    Thanks for the response.

answer these questions:
    Thanks for the response.

Height? Weight?

Weight lifting background?

Gender?

Method used to identify BF%?

• TavistockToad
    I'm no expert, but since most people on here aren't either, here's my two cents...

1. You'll probably need to increase your workouts from three days per week to five.
    2. HIIT programs are very good for burning fat and building muscle. Many gyms have classes or you can get video programs like Insanity or T-25. Just be careful if you're prone to injury. There is a LOT of jumping in these programs and they are TOUGH if you're not used to it.
    3. 1500 calories may not actually be enough for you. I don't know this for sure since I know almost nothing about you, but if your focus is cutting body fat, WHAT you eat is more important than how much (within reason). Focus on eating a whole food diet that is low in processed foods and added sugars. Keep your non-fruit carbs limited to two to three servings of "smart carbs" like sweet potatoes, corn tortillas, oatmeal, wild rice or quinoa per day, include healthy fats like nuts and avocados and up your protein a little higher than the .36g per pound of body weight recommended.

You may not get to your goal of 12-15% body fat in 6-8 weeks, but if you work hard, you will make progress. You never know what you're capable of until you try.

2) wrong, its doubtful that a HIIT will build any muscle
    3)how can you comment on OPs calorie goal when you don't know their stats?
  • rk3431
    Thank you for the feedback

So here it goes.

I'm 5'10, 42 years old guy. I currently weigh 170lbs. My BF was measured with a scale. I am currently consume 1500 calories/day

I do gymnastics (a parkour/acrobatics hybrid) 2-3 times a week. I assume it would be better to ai for 2 gymnastics sessions and 2 weightlifting sessions?

Thank you so much for all the precious help!
  • rk3431

I eat whole foods and don't touch processed foods (except for Vega All-In-One and Performance protein shakes).

Everything else is a mix of lean protein, lots of vegetables, good fats (eggs, avocado, nuts) and little complex carbs (quinoa, barley)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

So here it goes.

I'm 5'10, 42 years old guy. I currently weigh 170lbs. My BF was measured with a scale. I am currently consume 1500 calories/day

I do gymnastics (a parkour/acrobatics hybrid) 2-3 times a week. I assume it would be better to ai for 2 gymnastics sessions and 2 weightlifting sessions?

Next question is why do you want to get down to 15%... And, do you want to lose weight, or recomp to get there?

Also, how long have you been doing the gymnastics/parkour/acrobatics/bodyweight program?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    I usually aim for 1% bf per week
    When I'm over 10-12%

23% down to 15% in 8 weeks
    Is 1% per week, easily done at your
    Current body fat level
  • rk3431
    I'm carrying around extra unnecessary bf, there's no reason to not want to reduce it.

I've just restarted my program. I was on the shelf for the sole past 4 months nursing an injury. Had started gymnastics a couple months prior to that. Have been lifting weights for a few years.
  • rk3431
    watts6151 wrote: »
    I usually aim for 1% bf per week
    When I'm over 10-12%

23% down to 15% in 8 weeks
    Is 1% per week, easily done at your
    Current body fat level

Any advice on how to reduce 1% bf/week?
  • rk3431

So here it goes.

Next question is why do you want to get down to 15%... And, do you want to lose weight, or recomp to get there?

Also, how long have you been doing the gymnastics/parkour/acrobatics/bodyweight program?

I'm carrying around extra unnecessary bf, there's no reason to not want to reduce it.

I've just restarted my program. I was on the shelf for the sole past 4 months nursing an injury. Had started gymnastics a couple months prior to that. Have been lifting weights for a few years.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Scales do lie - I have some that make me 33% BF.
  • rk3431
    sijomial wrote: »
    Scales do lie - I have some that make me 33% BF.

Sure, but it's certainly not off by too much. Various scales have placed me in the 21-23 range, so there has to be some truth to it.

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing "wrong" or how I can improve what I'm curently doing. Mostly looking to identify markers that will indicate that I'm on the right path. For all I know, I need to eat more and exercise less. There is so much contradictory information out there, it can all get a little maddening at time
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Don't we all.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

And what is your goal weight?
    That will help you decide if you want to recomp or cut.

Those calories seem very low! Did you select 2lb a week weight loss goal? (That would be far too aggressive IMHO)

I hope you are eating back your exercise calories on top of that 1500.