Working out late... what to eat post workout before bed?

Options
I joined crossfit 6 weeks ago. The class I attend is at 6:30. Some nights I'm not home until 8/8:30 and I typically get in bed around 9/9:30. I know I need a proper post workout meal but I'm wondering what is ideal since I'm eating right before bed. Is eating 5 ounces of chicken, a cup of brown rice, and a veggie ok 30-60 minutes before hopping in bed?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    There is something to nutrient timing around exercise, but it's not critical for the vast majority of us. If you have time, eating right before bed doesn't mess with your stomach, what you are suggesting is fine. Otherwise, you can just go to bed.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When you eat doesn't matter. I typically workout between 6-7, and between travel, class times, and shower, I can't eat until around 8:30-9pm. I eat dinner, stay up for an hour or two, and then go to bed.

If you like the chicken, veggies, and rice, then eat it. It shouldn't affect your weight loss of its within your calorie goals.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You need more protein and energy than most people because you work out, but when you get it doesn't matter very much. Eating carbs within about an hour of an intense workout can help you replenish your glycogen stores more quickly but otherwise you can eat beforehand if it's more convenient and have a light snack after.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I joined crossfit 6 weeks ago. The class I attend is at 6:30. Some nights I'm not home until 8/8:30 and I typically get in bed around 9/9:30. I know I need a proper post workout meal but I'm wondering what is ideal since I'm eating right before bed. Is eating 5 ounces of chicken, a cup of brown rice, and a veggie ok 30-60 minutes before hopping in bed?

If it doesn't interfere with your sleep then it's fine. Lots of people (me included) eat just before going to bed.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sour Patch Kids.

Maybe that's just me... :D
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I usually am not very hungry after working out. It decreases my appetite for a good 3-4 hours after.

But, occasionally I love having a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Something about the peanut butter really makes me happy after working out. :)
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I could never eat and hop into bed. At most I'd have a glass of almond or soy milk if I have a late workout. I'm a devoted breakfast eater though....so my body is fine waiting to eat.