Too much protein?

Options
nichell88
nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So when I was losing weight, I had been eating a ton of protein, about 1g per pound of body weight. However, as I have lost weight, my body weight is considerably less than it had been (duh). I've just transitioned to maintenance and I don't want to change my diet too much as I am just starting, but I wonder if I should maybe lower the amount of protein I am eating since my body weight is down. I eat about 180g-200g a day, which is how much I weighed before. I am afraid to alter my diet too much as I have been advised against doing that when transitioning to maintenance; everyone says eat the same things just more. But I know too much protein can have adverse effects on your kidneys. Advice?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Thinking of it another way, at a total intake of ~2000kcals/day, and for a 30-40% calories-from-protein goal, you'd eat 600 - 800kcals/day of protein. At 4kcals per gram, that's 150-200g/day. It may not be necessary to eat that many of your calories from protein, but I don't think it's unhealthy. (But, I am not an expert.)

If you are involved in hour-long cardio sessions, you might want to go up on the carbs.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything harmful about eating a lot of protein. It's a matter of preference.

That said, looking at your avatar, I'm wondering if eating so much protein is coming at the expense of adequate carbs and fats, which are also important to your overall diet.
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    @kwtilbury what do you mean about the avatar? Sorry, I'm not understanding the correlation
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You don't need that much protein, and your requirements in maintenance will likely be less that when you're in a deficit.... I would personally swap some of that for more fat and carbs.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't think 180-200g of protein is high enough to worry about. However, it is most likely way more than you need. I think it would be fine to focus the calories you are adding in to reach your maintenance level on increasing your portions of carbs and fats to balance things out a little. The advice to not change what you eat at maintenance has more to do with not going back to the way you used to eat. I think using your extra calories to balance out your diet a little would make sense.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    My macros are based off of a percentage, so when my calorie needs lower, all of my grams drop. You don't need more than 30-35% probably (maybe up to 40 if you are trying to add muscle but 30 is fine).

What are your fat and carb numbers?

I don't think it hurts but per pound protein is the most expensive and what you don't need you don't use so it just seems wasteful.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1 grams per pound of your goal weight rather than the weight you currently are. This is the general recommendation. That or 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass (your overall weight minus your fat weight).
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »
    @kwtilbury what do you mean about the avatar? Sorry, I'm not understanding the correlation

You don't look like you weigh that much, so I have inferred that 180-200 grams of protein absorbs a pretty big chunk of your TDEE requirement (> 50%).
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is not my strong point, but I remember I have read somewhere that too much protein turns into sugar( Don't quote me on that, I should do more research). With that said I don't think 200grs are that much.
    But go with 1gr per pound, easy peazy. You don't look like you weigh 200lbs.
  • juliawiththequads
    juliawiththequads Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on your fitness/performance goals. If you’re trying to gain muscle/lift heavier, that might protein might still be a good idea.
  • soccer121998
    soccer121998 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The protein gram per bound of body weight is not necessarily what your body needs. The reasoning behind the g/lb theory is that if you eat this amount, you will protein in excess which spares muscle degredation. However, a better guideline is that you should keep your protein within about 25-35% of calories in order to get enough. Also to touch on your worries about protein being hard on your kidneys, yes it can be but usually only if you have existing kidney problems.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The protein gram per bound of body weight is not necessarily what your body needs. The reasoning behind the g/lb theory is that if you eat this amount, you will protein in excess which spares muscle degredation. However, a better guideline is that you should keep your protein within about 25-35% of calories in order to get enough. Also to touch on your worries about protein being hard on your kidneys, yes it can be but usually only if you have existing kidney problems.

I disagree with this. At one point, that would put me at 219-306g of protein. For me, a 5'7" 130-135lb female, that amount would be overkill and crowd out the rest of my nutrition. Basing macros on % caloric intake does not always work out. That is why it is recommended to work with grams per bodyweight/goal weight/lean mass.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    if you're trying to build muscle, then match your protein (grams) to your current body weight... don't over think it too much. you may go a little high, little low, but stay around there.. now if you're not trying to build muscle, then you really don't need that much. id say drop it down to 60-80% of your current body weight. what's more important is total calories depending on your goals.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Is the recommended goal 1 gram protein per kg of weight or 1 g per lb of weight or 1 g per lb of lean weight? I've read all 3 of these.
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Is the recommended goal 1 gram protein per kg of weight or 1 g per lb of weight or 1 g per lb of lean weight? I've read all 3 of these.

ive always been taught 1g per 1 lb.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    regpark85 wrote: »

ive always been taught 1g per 1 lb.

1 g per pound is a little much.

But a little much is better than almost enough is better than way too much is better than way too little.