Running trainers

Options
Can anyone recommend a good pair of running trainers or how do I find out what would be best for me? My Nike trainers are currently giving me bad shin pain when I run so its time for a new pair.

Replies

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it is your current trainers causing your problems? Shin splints are normally from running to fast when your body isn't ready for it.
  • Cocochick
    Cocochick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You should go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get fitted. Also, make sure you are stretching your calves before you run. I had horrible shin pain which sent me to an orthopedic doctor, and what I thought were shin splints were simply tight calves. Good luck!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running store and get fitted.
    runnersworld.com/store-finder
  • cubicacoustics
    cubicacoustics Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that calf raises and run in a incline really helped me get rid of having shin splints
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good pair of running trainers or how do I find out what would be best for me? My Nike trainers are currently giving me bad shin pain when I run so its time for a new pair.

Get gait analysis
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend going to a running specialty store and having them do a gait analysis and then try several pairs of shoes of different brands.

Bring the shoes you currently wear, as well, as they will tend to look at wear patterns and also discuss with you any problems or injuries you have experienced with those shoes.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    As others have mention but I will add.

1) Find a local running store. Not a big box a real running store. runnersworld.com/store-finder
    2) Take your existing pair of shoes that you run in so they can see the wear.
    3) Take socks you usually run in (hopefully running socks) or purchase a good pair at the store.

Ask them to measure your feet, they should measure BOTH of them.
    Let them know any issues (pain, soreness) or concerns you have.
    Let them know if you have ever purchased 'real' running shoes.
    What your goal is? Race, Fun, Low miles, Daily, etc.

Be prepared to hopefully run on a treadmill they have, and hopefully they have a tablet to record your run to check your gait (basically your foot position during a stride, does it roll in, roll out, etc).

Expect to spend some time with them, this isn't an in and out experience. They will let you try on as many shoes as you need.

This is where it gets though. I used to go to a long established running store in my city (30 years in business) and feels like it, 'low tech', staff is hit or miss. I used to dread needing a new pair of shoes and they seemed to take there best guess and sent me out the door.
    rodiezsrunningstore.com

Another running store in my area is a lot nicer than that, but still overly crowded with employees and shoppers. performancerunning.com/ If it wasn't for FleetFeet below, this place would be my next choice only because they have the ability to be great like FF. The one time I did go it, it was crazy easily 20 associates and 30 shoppers. I worked with 3 different people to finally get a pair of shoes, then sat for another 10 minutes waiting for anyone to come back over to me to continue my shopping. I eventually left without anyone speaking to me. Maybe it was just the day/time I went.

My goto store fleetfeetbrookfield.com/ has 1 or 2 employees working at any time with a passion to make your run great.

Ages are all over and they all run. My favorite associate, besides the owner who knows almost everyone by name, is in her 50s and kicked my butt at the last half marathon I saw her at.

Point is: Experience matters.

Poke around the website of the store you are looking to go to and see how 'in' to running they are.

I included my places just so you can see the range of service you may receive which can also positively or negatively affect your running as much as running shoes can.

To me, this is what you should expect. fleetfeetbrookfield.com/ffs?p=our-fit-process

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    As others have mention but I will add.

1) Find a local running store. Not a big box a real running store. runnersworld.com/store-finder
    2) Take your existing pair of shoes that you run in so they can see the wear.
    3) Take socks you usually run in (hopefully running socks) or purchase a good pair at the store.

Ask them to measure your feet, they should measure BOTH of them.
    Let them know any issues (pain, soreness) or concerns you have.
    Let them know if you have ever purchased 'real' running shoes.
    What your goal is? Race, Fun, Low miles, Daily, etc.

Be prepared to hopefully run on a treadmill they have, and hopefully they have a tablet to record your run to check your gait (basically your foot position during a stride, does it roll in, roll out, etc).

Expect to spend some time with them, this isn't an in and out experience. They will let you try on as many shoes as you need.

This is where it gets though. I used to go to a long established running store in my city (30 years in business) and feels like it, 'low tech', staff is hit or miss. I used to dread needing a new pair of shoes and they seemed to take there best guess and sent me out the door.
    rodiezsrunningstore.com

Another running store in my area is a lot nicer than that, but still overly crowded with employees and shoppers. performancerunning.com/ If it wasn't for FleetFeet below, this place would be my next choice only because they have the ability to be great like FF. The one time I did go it, it was crazy easily 20 associates and 30 shoppers. I worked with 3 different people to finally get a pair of shoes, then sat for another 10 minutes waiting for anyone to come back over to me to continue my shopping. I eventually left without anyone speaking to me. Maybe it was just the day/time I went.

My goto store fleetfeetbrookfield.com/ has 1 or 2 employees working at any time with a passion to make your run great.

Ages are all over and they all run. My favorite associate, besides the owner who knows almost everyone by name, is in her 50s and kicked my butt at the last half marathon I saw her at.

Point is: Experience matters.

Poke around the website of the store you are looking to go to and see how 'in' to running they are.

I included my places just so you can see the range of service you may receive which can also positively or negatively affect your running as much as running shoes can.

To me, this is what you should expect. fleetfeetbrookfield.com/ffs?p=our-fit-process

If I have 2 choices... one a fleetfeet an hour away and the other any other store 30 minutes away... I'll make the trip.. I've been to 3 different stores and they all have that feel..

They always seem to have the right number of staff on hand... I usually go with my wife, and it takes 30 to 45 minutes... but for that time, the associate is at my service.... and constantly engaged in making sure they have the right information to put the right shoes on my feet.
  • bluebell88xx
    bluebell88xx Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Very helpful :)