Jogging training

Options
I am a new runner. I have been working my way up from a mile up to now 5 miles. I am running at a pace of 15 minute miles though. Is it better to go slow and up your miles or work on getting faster miles? There is no way that I could run 5 miles at even 10 minute miles. I would be lucky to get 3 miles at that pace.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    I think it really depends on what your goals are. If you're trying to do a race, maybe work on increasing speed. If you're going to do a marathon (or other long race), stick with a steady pace and increasing mileage. It all depends on your goals!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I know your pain, I'm at about a 12-13 minute mile, currently training for a couple half marathons. Everything that I've read says to get your endurance up and then start doing speed work. My plan is to run my first half with the goal of purely finishing, after that I'll start speed training. You need a strong base in order to be able to handle the speedwork in the first place.
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you are working on distance, then running slow is the way to go. I used the Team Oregon plan to get up to 5K (www.teamoregon.com), and they constantly say to run slow. As you add miles at a slow pace, you will find you are able to run farther at faster paces as well...but going too fast too soon is one of the best ways to injure yourself.

Once you have a good mileage base, you can start thinking about improving speed. If you are like me, you'll find that speed starts to take care of itself, especially if you are using a heart rate monitor.

Happy Running!

Andre
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Not being a "runner" myself, I am curious to hear what real runners have to say. My thoughts though are that you can work on both, that's what I am doing. Somedays are for distance, some are for speed, some are for hill or stair repeats. The days I work on speed, I do high intensity interval training with my GymBoss timer; 1 minute walking to 1 minute running faster than is comfortable.

Maybe it would help to hear what your goals are with running? Do you want to run a race? Are you just doing it to loose weight/get fit? I think your "training" would be different depending on what you want to do. For example, I don't want to run any races so it all just boils down to getting fitter....
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I would do different works out. If you are running 3/x a week set it up like this:

1. Run your distance workout at the pace you have been running
    2. For half of your workout alternate sprint/jog. For Instance sprint 1 minute, jog at your pace 1 minute. Do this for 40 minutes total.
    3. Hill repeats. Do a warmup mile. Then find a 100 meter hill you can run up and down for 40 minutes.

This will increase your speed and level of fitness!

Good Luck!
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It does depend on whether you want distance or speed. Initially, you should just enjoy running. When I first started running, I ran the same route - once I'd beaten my time significantly I lengthend my route until I beat that one - and so on.
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm a new jogger, too! Doesn't it make you sweat like crazy?! (In a good way haha.) My best advice is to up the speed by .1 mph every day. I've been jogging 3 mi. 5x/wk...but I'm sure the same can go for your 5 mi. Keep at the distance because it seems like your ultimate goal is speed. I went from 4.5-5.1 mph in a little over a week. You hardly notice the change and next thing you know, your pace is where you want it!

Best of luck :-)
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm new at this running thing too. I'm up to 3 miles at 13-14 min pace on the treadmill. I find it hard to keep going outside. The weather has been so hot so I've mostly been on the treadmill (maybe that's it). My friend wants me to try a 5k this Sat. I'm so worried I'll end up walking most of it. If it was on a treadmill...no problem. Anyone else have this problem? Any runners out there with any kind of beginners advice I would love it!!! 3 months ago I could barely walk a mile. Now I'm jogging...don't ever want to go back to the old me. Help is always welcomed!!! I've lost 40 pounds so far in this process to get healthy but I still need about 35 more pounds off. I'm liking the running thing but I'm wondering how to improve myself and keep losing weight too....looking for some friends...anyone???
  • crazypenrod1508
    crazypenrod1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My end goal is to run a whole marathon, but right now I am training to run a leg in a marathon at 3.5 miles. I don't want to be embarrassed with my time. I was thinking along the same lines as some of you with one day doing distance and then next day doing speed.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My end goal is to run a whole marathon, but right now I am training to run a leg in a marathon at 3.5 miles. I don't want to be embarrassed with my time. I was thinking along the same lines as some of you with one day doing distance and then next day doing speed.
    In which case I recommend doing the following sessions per week:

Day 1 - Recovery run (30 mins slow)
    Day 2 - Intervals (5 mins warm up; go fast for one minute, jog recovery for one minute * 6; 5 mins cool down)
    Day 3 - Tempo run (5 mins warm-up, 15 mins at "controlled discomfort" pace, or race pace, 5 mins cools down)
    Day 4 - Long, slow run for 4 miles

If you can't spare that much time, skip day 1.

When you come to increase your distances, use the same sessions as a guideline and increase your total running time over the week by no more than 10% per week.

Good luck!
  • nhaddad
    nhaddad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    remember if you are trying to burn calories you have to do HIIT rather than run constant for the time of your training