Bread Is The Enemy

Options

Replies

• BetterThanBest
    BetterThanBest Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I quit buying bread a few years ago, and don't miss it. I found I really didn't like it anyway, it was just a way to eat peanut butter and jelly way too much. But I do love the King's Hawaiian rolls. I don't buy them because I would eat them all within a day and then would be miserable for 2 more days.

Very insightful. Thank you.
  • BetterThanBest
    Options
    I love this reply. TY
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've always known this, but today at work, I had a conversation with myself and finally admitted that I have a REAL PROBLEM. I'm addicted to bread. The conversation went like this...

Self1:"You don't need those tasty kings hawaiin rolls."
    Self2:"They're only 100 calories a piece. Go ahead, have two."
    Self1:" So what! There is fruit right beside it, go for the fruit! You already ate a half loaf of bread from longhorn steakhouse today!"
    Self2:"Get the fruit and the rolls, that way it balances out."
    Self1:"Wowwwww, the lies you tell yourself just so you can have bread. You should be ashamed!"

Needless to say, I ate both and I know it doesn't "balance out" but I have a real problem. I am ADDICTED to bread. Does anyone have any advice for me to help curb this problem? Anyone else have the same addiction? I know for a fact that I'd be much more successful on my weight loss journey if I had more control over the bread problem. I'm on the verge of just cutting it out all together because I can't seem to set limits. Please help me.

-Bread Lover

Some people are moderators, some are abstainers http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

The quiz isn't there anymore, but I always find this distinction bizarre, since I'd bet almost everyone is an abstainer about some stuff, a moderator about other stuff.

We don't yet know if this has anything to do with OP's issues -- what I saw in the dialogue quoted is that she doesn't really have a reason in her own mind to prefer fruit to bread other than a vague idea that she shouldn't have too much bread in a day. Whether you are moderating or abstaining you need to have a strong reason that you believe in.

The OP is considering cutting out bread altogether. This link is the rebuttal to the inevitable, "What are you going to do, never have bread again for the rest of your life?" argument. For some, abstaining is indeed a viable strategy.

http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

...For a long time, I kept trying this strategy of moderation–and failing. Then I read a line from Samuel Johnson, who said, when someone offered him wine: “Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult.”

Ah ha! Like Dr. Johnson, I’m an “abstainer.”

I find it far easier to give something up altogether than to indulge moderately. When I admitted to myself that I was eating my favorite frozen yogurt treat very often–two and even three times a day–I gave it up cold turkey. That was far easier for me to do than to eat it twice a week. If I try to be moderate, I exhaust myself debating, “Today, tomorrow?” “Does this time ‘count’?” “Don’t I deserve this?” etc. If I never do something, it requires no self-control for me; if I do something sometimes, it requires enormous self-control.

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.

In my experience, both moderators and abstainers try hard to convert the other team. A nutritionist once told me, “I tell my clients to follow the 80/20 rule. Be healthy 80% of the time, indulge within reason, 20% of the time.” She wouldn’t consider my point of view–that a 100% rule might be easier for someone like me to follow.

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I love bread, white, brown, seedy you name it and I will scoff it :D
    Im convinced they bake crack in to it to make us NEED it ;)
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use to eat bread with everything but it wasn't the breast that was worrying me. It was the amount of butter I was having on it. I could smash half a loaf in one sitting with the right (wrong) meal. Looking back now I only have a couple slices a day. I really don't miss it.
  • BetterThanBest
    Options
    I bought 2 packs of Hawaiian rolls in honor of this thread. :laugh:

OMG NOOOOOOOOOOO lol
  • BetterThanBest
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody for the replies. Everything I've read was very insightful. I'm going to utilize some of the ideas that were on this thread. My job keeps these rolls and other forms of bread on a constant supply. This is MOSTLY where I have the problem of resisting because they are always there! I forgot to mention that. Nevertheless, I will definitely use the tips I've read. Also, glad to know that I'm not the only sufferer. hahahaha
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ldwatene wrote: »
    I use to eat bread with everything but it wasn't the breast that was worrying me. It was the amount of butter I was having on it. I could smash half a loaf in one sitting with the right (wrong) meal. Looking back now I only have a couple slices a day. I really don't miss it.

I too would be concerned if you were having butter with your breasts...

;)
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ldwatene wrote: »

Breasts don't worry me either :) I love asiago cheese bread sooo much :p
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQSB0opqxj0

I just try to infrequently have the things I can't stop eating in the house. I can't stop eating chips. I don't buy chips. Sometimes I go to a party, and other people bring chips. I eat them there.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

I just try to infrequently have the things I can't stop eating in the house. I can't stop eating chips. I don't buy chips. Sometimes I go to a party, and other people bring chips. I eat them there.

Is that from Donut Man?!? (I went to a Christian school lol)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm a bread lover. We can have some lame wheat sliced bread in our house that I'm not compelled to eat, but good bakery bread only joins the party once every month or two. I will destroy a loaf of French or crusty Italian bread. And a bakery here does magic with a kalamata olive loaf. They are special treats because I know there will be no moderation.
    In other news, look for grocery stores that sells single self-serve fresh rolls or Pepperidge Farm frozen French rolls. If I'm making something that requires a little bread for dipping (shakshuka, stew, mussels, etc.), having a limited amount available is the key. Best of luck in your bread journey :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My job keeps these rolls and other forms of bread on a constant supply. This is MOSTLY where I have the problem of resisting because they are always there! I forgot to mention that.

I thought that might be the case from your post. The "don't keep it at home" comments don't always help me for similar reasons -- home is rarely the source of my temptation.

Anyway, good luck! Hope some of the comments help when you try them.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My job keeps these rolls and other forms of bread on a constant supply. This is MOSTLY where I have the problem of resisting because they are always there! I forgot to mention that.

I thought that might be the case from your post. The "don't keep it at home" comments don't always help me for similar reasons -- home is rarely the source of my temptation.

Anyway, good luck! Hope some of the comments help when you try them.

So much this... I do not buy bread but someone is always bringing in bagels, buttery croissants and other yummy bread items ... sigh
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    annacole94 wrote: »

Is that from Donut Man?!? (I went to a Christian school lol)

I just looked on youtube for "satanic bread", being as bread is the enemy.

It's harder if it's at work, but I generally have just taken a hard line that work treats aren't for me. And yes, people offer me good things at work. I do my best to consistently stick to the lunch I pack.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    I haven't even heard of King's Hawaiian Rolls before but hope to never run into one ;).

Like Filipino "star bread," they can be addictive. Really hard to eat just one.

The 5 gm of sugar (20 cals out of 90) per serving has a lot to do with it. See:

http://www.kingshawaiian.com/products/rolls-12-pack/
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I love bread too <3
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love bread, so I eat it. I don't feel bad about eating bread, I just try not to eat an unnecessary amount of it. If I still come in at or below my calorie goal, all is well!
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I also love a good bread - for your specific problem of having it at work I'd suggest a "one a week" policy - if you use your one for the week on Monday then that's too bad, wait until next week.

(That wouldn't work for me, I'm not so good at moderating in general, and I have to avoid things most all the time. I ate a banana muffin at work this morning and I didn't really want one until I saw them!)
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Tortillas and Tortilla Chips are my nemesis...

Why do they have to be so good?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much stopped eating bread. I'll have it every once in awhile at a restaurant or when I'm doing a strenuous hike, but that's all. I don't really miss it, except now I mustbe more creative at lunchtime. My downfall is crusty sourdough bagettes. I can eat an entire bagette with nothing on it in one sitting. I try to keep them out of the house, but when my husband buys it I have to keep it out of sight.