Anyone else get a super high heart rate when they exercise?

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    is that from a chest strap or from the hand electrodes... and are you always on the same machine(home/favorite) or is this across several machines(gym) ... some gym equipment has been abused and doesn't even remotely reflect actual HR.

Machine + Fitbit show about the same thing. So hand and FitBit. And Fitbit matches my Dr when I go for check ups so I think it's accurate.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I find it sad I am so out of shape my HR average was over 170 for a half hr on the elliptical (average meaning it went higher...and I took a break) and my resting is 63bpm. I had it on a pretty low setting (4?) and I was pouring sweat. Tell me I'm not the only person who's really out of shape. Lol. I think being in a wheelchair for months messed up my body. lol.

The RHR of 63 is pretty reasonable, particularly given your weight. A functional HR of 170 for 30 minutes isn't particularly unusual, or something to be worried about at your age.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    is that from a chest strap or from the hand electrodes... and are you always on the same machine(home/favorite) or is this across several machines(gym) ... some gym equipment has been abused and doesn't even remotely reflect actual HR.

Machine + Fitbit show about the same thing. So hand and FitBit. And Fitbit matches my Dr when I go for check ups so I think it's accurate.

It might be accurate in the ~70 bpm band when you're sitting down at the doctor's office and not at all accurate around ~170 bpm when you're doing intense exercise. That tends to be the pattern with Fitbit and some other wrist-based heart rate sensors.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When I first started running a few months ago my heart rate would get up to 177bpm. It has dropped considerably since then, even when I do sprinting work. I was a bit worried as well, but that was just my cardiovascular system getting the workout IT needs to fuel me in the future as I get into better shape. It now also take a lot longer during my run for my heart rate to creep up. As you gain more endurance, it should go down a bit. If it doesn't, a trip to your GP can't hurt.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I didn't think that 170 was all that high? I'm nearly a decade older that you, and that's about where I am on a workout, but I can maintain in the low 170s for 30 minutes or so. I'm not carrying on conversations or anything and it's steady effort, but I'm not gasping for breath or pushing so hard that I need to take breaks in the middle. It feels like a nice, strong pace for me, and I can recover back down to around 100 in the five minute cool down and back down to full resting HR of low 60s in another 15 or so minutes (not sure exactly, but definitely by the time that I pack up my stuff and leave the gym after my workout).

What's a functional HR supposed to be?!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I find it sad I am so out of shape my HR average was over 170 for a half hr on the elliptical (average meaning it went higher...and I took a break) and my resting is 63bpm. I had it on a pretty low setting (4?) and I was pouring sweat. Tell me I'm not the only person who's really out of shape. Lol. I think being in a wheelchair for months messed up my body. lol.

The RHR of 63 is pretty reasonable, particularly given your weight. A functional HR of 170 for 30 minutes isn't particularly unusual, or something to be worried about at your age.

Maybe it's because I was a lot healthier before so now it makes me feel like I went so far backwards.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

It might be accurate in the ~70 bpm band when you're sitting down at the doctor's office and not at all accurate around ~170 bpm when you're doing intense exercise. That tends to be the pattern with Fitbit and some other wrist-based heart rate sensors.

The sensor on the FitBit and the machine show the same. And the Dr ran a HR test on me recently where I stood sat and did activity for a certain # of minutes and FitBit and hers varied if at all by 2-3 points. Then again the Dr does want me on a 24hr HR monitor because of all this.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    When I first started running a few months ago my heart rate would get up to 177bpm. It has dropped considerably since then, even when I do sprinting work. I was a bit worried as well, but that was just my cardiovascular system getting the workout IT needs to fuel me in the future as I get into better shape. It now also take a lot longer during my run for my heart rate to creep up. As you gain more endurance, it should go down a bit. If it doesn't, a trip to your GP can't hurt.

I did go. My medical card is temporarily stopped for a few weeks but I am supposed to wear a HR monitor for 24hrs . And thank you for the encouragement!
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I didn't think that 170 was all that high? I'm nearly a decade older that you, and that's about where I am on a workout, but I can maintain in the low 170s for 30 minutes or so. I'm not carrying on conversations or anything and it's steady effort, but I'm not gasping for breath or pushing so hard that I need to take breaks in the middle. It feels like a nice, strong pace for me, and I can recover back down to around 100 in the five minute cool down and back down to full resting HR of low 60s in another 15 or so minutes (not sure exactly, but definitely by the time that I pack up my stuff and leave the gym after my workout).

IDK but when I used a HR chart it said 170-190 is very intense (80-90% max) should be where Im having trouble taking deep breaths etc and I almost pass out half the time. I push myself a bit too hard. But I am not even on a high level... that's what I mean. Not sure about the cool down stuff. Ill need to check my HR after I rest. I havent done that.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Depends on the individual and their max HR, threshold HR and resting HR. Threshold HR and resting HR are the ones that may change with fitness. Max HR decreases with age, but how much is not absolute. Some decrease sharply, some very gradually.

There's a lot of variation, so the average HRs that are suggested to delineate the zones and are based on age don't work well for a fair number of people. For some they're too high, others they're too low. Impossible to know where you fall without testing it yourself. It's why I prefer to rely on perceived effort rather than HR. I record HR, but just out of curiosity.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Are you a runner? It sounds like you're doing fine. You probably don't need to and shouldn't try to keep your HR at any specific number unless you have specific training needs.
  • DamieBird
    Options

Are you a runner? It sounds like you're doing fine. You probably don't need to and shouldn't try to keep your HR at any specific number unless you have specific training needs.

I started jogging (I wouldn't quite call it running, lol) about 3 months ago, and I'm up to about a 35 minute 5k on a normal cardio day and a 57ish minute 5 mile on a long day. I've always been able to push relatively to the higher edges of the recommended target HR charts, even when I was younger and in better shape. I've always thought that if you felt fine in the higher zones that it didn't mean you were in any worse shape than someone who may have a lower heart rate. I grew up being told that the whole point of cardio was to get your heart rate "up" and keep it there, so I took that to mean to get it up to as high as you can maintain for an extended period of time (unless you're doing sprint/ HIIT work).
  • DamieBird
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Depends on the individual and their max HR, threshold HR and resting HR. Threshold HR and resting HR are the ones that may change with fitness. Max HR decreases with age, but how much is not absolute. Some decrease sharply, some very gradually.

There's a lot of variation, so the average HRs that are suggested to delineate the zones and are based on age don't work well for a fair number of people. For some they're too high, others they're too low. Impossible to know where you fall without testing it yourself. It's why I prefer to rely on perceived effort rather than HR. I record HR, but just out of curiosity.

What should I be looking for on the perceived effort scale?
  • Verity1111
    Options

I started jogging (I wouldn't quite call it running, lol) about 3 months ago, and I'm up to about a 35 minute 5k on a normal cardio day and a 57ish minute 5 mile on a long day. I've always been able to push relatively to the higher edges of the recommended target HR charts, even when I was younger and in better shape. I've always thought that if you felt fine in the higher zones that it didn't mean you were in any worse shape than someone who may have a lower heart rate. I grew up being told that the whole point of cardio was to get your heart rate "up" and keep it there, so I took that to mean to get it up to as high as you can maintain for an extended period of time (unless you're doing sprint/ HIIT work).

Probably true. I feel like I could have a heart attack when mine is up there - so that's a bit different. I assume (assume, I'm not dr!) that if you feel okay it should be fine unless it's like...as high as over 200 for a long time?
  • stealthq
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

What should I be looking for on the perceived effort scale?

Depends on your training goal. I spend a lot of time in the endurance and tempo categories training for distance running.

Recovery/endurance: You should be able to carry on a normal conversation in full sentences. Breathing should be completely under control.

Stamina/tempo: You can only speak in short sentences. Breathing is quicker, but still no huffing and puffing.

Speed (above lactate threshold, not maximal effort): You can only get out a couple of words for this entire phase of your workout. Definite huffing and puffing.

Maximal effort: Speech is not possible, need to breathe takes over.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

If you're running faster, it probably means you're more fit now than when you started. (It would be a little odd if you weren't!)

What you're doing sounds like it's working for you, there probably isn't any real reason to change it. Because HR varies so much from one person to another, and because we all have different goals, there isn't any "supposed to be" for this. I mean, some people are on a training plan that has then do 80 % of their workouts in zone 2 (moderate) and the other 20 % in zone 4/5 (very intense) to prepare for an event, and those people have a "supposed to be" but if you're going for general health and found a routine that works for you, that's awesome!
  • DamieBird
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @stealthq and @NorthCascades, can you guys recommend some additional reading on perceived effort and workout zones?
    My only cardio training goal is to get "better", as I've loosely defined as continually getting faster and being able to go for longer distances. My current short term goal is to run 3 miles in 30 minutes (I have a current PR of 33:09 for that distance, so there's a lot of room for improvement). After that, I want to be able to extend that 6.0 pace for longer and longer distances (eventually ;) ). I don't have any training plan, though. I run on a treadmill at 1 or 1.5% incline, and I tend to start out slow-ish in the 5.0-5.2 pace for a few minutes, spend the bulk of the run between 5.6-5.7 (this is where my HR is steady in the low 170s/ what I perceive to be between stamina and speed as Stealth describes it), and spend the last half mile or so steadily increasing to max effort. I'll finish the last .1 or .05 of the run at or nearly at 7.0 (or as fast as I can manage that day).

Do you need a training plan for general cardio?

ETA - Sorry if this is hijacking OP!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    @DamieBird

Since your goal is to be able to run longer distances a little bit faster than you're running now, you can achieve that by doing longer runs. Don't even pay attention to speed for now, just focus on distance. As you become able to run longer distances, you'll also be able to run shorter distances faster.

That's not what you just asked, though.

If you have a Garmin, they have (free) training plans. There are two for running a 5K using HR as a guide, and two more for a 10K with HR. You don't need a training plan for general cardio, but it might be interesting to look at one, you might get some ideas you like from it.

Here's a guide for HR zones. It might not be exactly what you want, so feel free to ask more questions.
  • stealthq
    Options
    @DamieBird

Since your goal is to be able to run longer distances a little bit faster than you're running now, you can achieve that by doing longer runs. Don't even pay attention to speed for now, just focus on distance. As you become able to run longer distances, you'll also be able to run shorter distances faster.

That's not what you just asked, though.

If you have a Garmin, they have (free) training plans. There are two for running a 5K using HR as a guide, and two more for a 10K with HR. You don't need a training plan for general cardio, but it might be interesting to look at one, you might get some ideas you like from it.

Here's a guide for HR zones. It might not be exactly what you want, so feel free to ask more questions.

Cosigned.

I'll add that when you want to add more distance, it is helpful to follow a training plan. There's rules of thumb about how to increase that help avoid overuse injuries while making sure you steadily improve. Popular ones are designed by Jeff Galloway (walk/run method) and Hal Higdon, but there are plenty of good ones out there. The two I mention are nice because they have free training plans for multiple distances and for various degrees of experience.

Higdon's plans (beyond the novice plans - those are for building distance) are designed for improving performance. Galloway's probably are pretty similar, but I haven't used his to say for sure.

jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/
    halhigdon.com/training/
  • DamieBird
    Options
    Thank you!