How old is to old

Options
I have been going to the gym for about 3 months now , myself and several of my co workers joined, let me start this by saying they are in thier 30 and 40's I am 59 , so after a 60 min Body blast class and a 30 min spin class I realized my body just can not keep up like it used to . I have known it for some time but tried to keep pushing through. After class went to my car and had myself a good old pity party It hit me all of a sudden that I am getting old and why am I putting myself through this. Ok enough self pity.
Was wondering what the ladies in my age group are doing for exrecise and how much

Replies

• kitkat536
    kitkat536 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You aren't necessarily too old of the activities they are doing, you just aren't used to doing them. So instead of killing yourself, work your way up to it. Age is just a number and if you let that hold you back, you'll never get to where you want to be.
    Ease yourself into things. Instead of 2 classes, start with one. Do that for a month, 2 months if you have to, and THEN add in the second class. If you can't do the full 30 minute spin class, do 15 minutes, and work your way up to it! Before you know it, you'll be running circles around these women in their 30's!
    I have confidence! Don't let your age hold you back! :)
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well, I am 31 and I would be exhausted after all that hard work too!!! 60 mins of Body Blast and 30 mins Spin??? Give yourself a big pat on the back, you deserve it!!! You did awesome. I take 60 mins of kickboxing and it's a great workout but I'm pretty exhuasted afterwards, I can't imagine doing spin class after, lol. Don't be so hard on yourself!!!!
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not too old. I met this guy on Sunday doing a Triathlon literally blind and he is 73 years old.

Go easy on yourself. Just hang in there you can do it!
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You're never too old to be healthier - and look at all of the progress you've already made! 23 pounds is worth celebrating, whether you're keeping up with a 30yo or not :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    An hour and a half straight and you wonder why you're tired!? You should be exhausted after all that!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Okay, I can't buy the whole 'I'm getting old' thing so quit throwing your pity party.

I'm only 33 but I've trained women that are 70 and I've trained with women in their 90's (and could just keep up I might add). These women don't take a 60 minute turbo class and then turn around and take spin. Hell, I don't even do that. It's too much high intensity cardio. So stop pushing through all of this and get into a better workout routine that is better suited to your needs and that includes cardio and strength training. If you have to, hire a trainer - that's what they're around for.

The 70 year old woman that I trained couldn't even raise her leg high enough to climb stairs. She was having a hard time walking and had zero upper body strength. When she was done with a 6-week program with me, she could climb the stairs, could walk on the treadmill and was lifting a 5 lb weight. That was a HUGE accomplishment for her. We created a workout for her specifically and she benefited from that. If I would have thrown her on a spin bike I never would have seen her again.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Just because we can't keep up with the "kids" is no reason to NOT exercise. We just need to take it a little easier if we can't hang with the young 'uns! Try something a little less high impact. That doesn't mean you can't work up a good sweat, just take it easier on your joints and don't go at it so hard you can't breathe!

I'm 54, with bad knees. I do water exercise 3x a week for about an hour and stationary cycling 2 or 3x a week for about 30 to 45 minutes. I've stopped logging it as I've been slacking off due to knee pain. Swimming is also excellent if you have access to a pool. Pilates is good if you can still bend that way, as is yoga. Yoga is a no-no for me with an artificial hip. Lifting weights is good too.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You are never too old to get into shape! I started walking, just walking. Started out 30 minutes a day. I then got an app for my phone called lolo beatburn. My walks got longer ad faster and by June I was walking an hour and burning a ton of calories. Unfortunately I sprained my ankle on the first day of summer and am still recovering but I will get back to working out very soon. The quality of the rest of my life depends on it!!!
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am 28 and I would have been dying if I wasn't used to all that exercise. I could barely get through a 30 min (30 Day Shred) Video! I agree with some of the comments above, you need to work your way into it. If you think you can just get up and work out like a maniac, you are setting yourself up to fail. Don't give yourself a reason to not go back. Get back on the horse and try a 30 min work out for a few weeks, than move up. You will know when you are ready. You can do it! Age is nothing but a number, you will get to where you want to be. Great step being on MFP! Good Luck! You can do it!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    As a rule I do 30-40 mins of Yoga (or other mild stretches) every morning, and walk 30-40 mins at a brisk pace around noontime. I usually burn 300-400 a day, some days more, some days less.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting out there and exercising! I am 36, and this past 3 weeks has been PAINFUL! But honestly, now I'm starting to feel the benefits of added energy and better sleep and it's awesome. And, I may deny I ever said this, but I honestly can't wait to go exercise.

My mother is almost 70 and just started going to the gym for the first time in her life about 2 years ago. She consulted with the personal trainer for her free consultations and it's helped her greatly. She mostly does weights and cardio equipment, but hasn't tried the classes yet. But she's a killer on the elliptical now! When she started out, she was very sore and tired and couldn't do a lot. But she kept at it, and has built up her strength and endurance. It takes time, but it's worth it.

You can do it! Mix your days up with some lighter activity so you're feeling more balanced and have time to recover. :)
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You are never to old! Just workout at your own pace!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You aren't necessarily too old of the activities they are doing, you just aren't used to doing them.

^THIS^

It has more to do with being out of shape then it does being 59. I know 60 year olds who can run circles around me! Keep working out and you will be keeping up with your classes in no time!

*also, I'm with the girl above that you may be doing too much high intensity cardio. Maybe look into getting a personal trainer?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    You are not too old, just not in good enough shape yet to do 90 minutes of high intensity stuff. 90 minutes is a pretty intense workout, most people don't do much more than an hour in one day.

Either way, you can do it, just not quite yet. If you are truely feeling so beat that you're not sure you can do it again, then dial it back a little. As you go, add more as you can handle it.

Is age a factor? YES. You may not progress as fast as some younger people but this isn't a race.
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can do anything the younger ones do. Maybe just not as fast or as much. You just do what you feel comfortable doing and you will work up to doing more! I think you are doing great in what you have done. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm in my early 50's and I do an hour of Zumba 6 days a week, plus some light resistant training 3-4 days a week for my arms. I will say that I've been fairly active throughout my life. I have periods where I will think I'm too busy to exercise and then I'll put on weight and begin exercising again. I started Zumba in January and it took a few weeks before I could do the full hour.

You are not too old to exercise, but yeah, your body is not going to react the same as it did 20 years ago. Just start off slow and build up to a level you are comfortable with.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You're never too old to be healthier - and look at all of the progress you've already made! 23 pounds is worth celebrating, whether you're keeping up with a 30yo or not :)

This!!!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. After being sedentary for about 10 years I had gained a lot of weight and lost a lot of muscle tone. I started everything gradually. I started by just walking. Then I joined a gym. Took three easy aerobic classes a week. Now I'm up to 5 classes a week and have included harder work outs like weight training. This is over the course of 18 months!

It sounds to me like you are doing great for whatever your age. What a great young spirit and drive you have. If I were you I wouldn't compare your achievements to others. Validate your own growth.

PS I don't think you are too old for any of this. You just need time to build up.
    I love this story:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/02/i-am-a-90-year-old-bodybuilder
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I see a lot older ladies in my gym, surprised they do not come in on walkers !!. My mum still goes and she is well into her eighties (or so it is rumored).

Even at my age (45) and male I find it hard to keep up with some die-hards in the gym and I do love to thrash myself.

The good new is this. You just do not need to go that hard to get results. In fact by cutting back to one 20 minute sessions a day (at least 3 times a week) will get good results (if you can do it properly). The trick (well published apparently) is to go hard for 20 seconds and then easy for 10 seconds for the full 20 minutes. It is really hard at first but the idea is to get your heart rate up and then rest to let it drop. With these times your body rests but (I find) your heart rate stays high and that is what get your results. The way to judge it is the 20 seconds really hard you should be able to make ... just, the 10 seconds rest is to keep you moving (do not stop).

You can laugh at all your colleagues (if you have a nasty streak) that they go to multiple classes and you get better results just popping in for a quick 20 mins.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a professional, I did get this information from a professional and I suggest you do the same. This has worked for me in the past (I was doing it a little differently), but I am now on a totally different program (eat more, do less) and I am shedding weight 1 week in.
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say, working longer than 20 min will start to burn muscle and not fat. That is the reason to stop.