Can`t Lose Weight...Seriously

Options
I am a 25yo female, 5ft10, 190lbs – ideal weight 170lbs.
I would like to change my body composition, lower body fat, more muscle.

I have tried everything……the list is as follows:
-meal replacement shakes
-day to day smarter choices
-calorie counting (reccomended intake via mfp)
-ketogenic (low carb, moderate protein, high fat)
-exercise – running, HIIT, crossfit, bootcamp
and more…

I am currently a part of a crossfit box which I have been attending minimum 3 x a week for about 6 months now. No inches lost or weight lost! For the last 3 years my weight keeps creeping up and up and up and no matter what I do nothing helps! People constantly say – “muscle weighs more than fat…” or “oh you’re just tall, don’t look at the scale.” I understand to most, I’m not necessarily overweight or obese but I am not comfortable in my own skin and I believe that’s what is important. I also often hear "the closer to your goal weight, the harder it is to lose weight." True, but I am much further from my goal weight then when I started. I realize the potential of how my body could feel and look and where I am now is not ideal. The number on the scale may just be a number, but why aren`t I losing fat or seeing physical changes then.
I have done the same diet and exercise programs with friends and my boyfriend – they lose weight, I don’t budge!

I have had my thyroid checked and have been back and forth with a naturopath, still not ruling out hormones as I believe the weight gain started after I went on BC (Seasonique.) I have been off for about a year now; could my body still be filtering it out or off whack?

I am severely discouraged….
I know it is a lifestyle and not a quick fix, but this has truly been an ongoing battle. I really believe I am educated enough to understand how to lose weight - calories in calories out etc. etc. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar? If so, do you have any advice?
Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How long did you count calories via MFP? How confident are you that your logging/counting was accurate during that time (i.e. did you measure out your servings)?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    ultimately it most likely comes down to your calorie intake.

how many calories did you eat daily? did you eat back exercise calories? how did you estimate exercise calories?

how religious were you about logging? are you talking 5 days a week or 7? 85% accuracy or 99%?

what method did you use to ensure accuracy? weigh solids in grams and use a measuring cup for liquids?

how often were you eating out? it's almost impossible to really get an accurate calorie count for restaurant foods. nobody is back there weighing and measuring so that the salad dressing is 2 Tbs and not 5.

how long did you track calories? you need 4 - 6 weeks religious, accurate logging for evaluation.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    To lose fat and weight you need a deficit, to gain muscle you need a surplus of calories which means you will gain some fat, if you want to recomp your body you need to eat maintenance calories, you will lose fat and gain some muscle but its really slow going.

If you havent lost inches or weight but are gaining then you are in a surplus of calories.see a real dr who does blood tests to rule out hormone issues, not a naturopath.as for birth control pills the weight gain comes from it increasing your appetite so you eat more and you gain.

you cant gain weight out of thin air so its not the pills themselves.1lb of muscle is the same weight as a lb of fat,muscle just takes up less space. so you have to chose whether you want to lose weight/fat,gain muscle or a little of both. pick one goal and stick to it. For Muscle building you will also need to do a progressive lifting program and getting enough protein in.

If you dont weigh your food you could be eating more than you think(its really easy to do),food packaging can be off by up to 20%, one egg can be more than another,same with fruits and veggies, weight loss is not about what you eat but about how much, you can gain weight eating all healthy foods as well
  • rebeccachobat
    rebeccachobat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same and been in the same situation. I do use food scales and accurately measure my food portions. I struggle with losing weight of my own accord too. I have in the past gone on prescription weight loss medication, which did work, but then once I got off of it, I gained all of the weight back within 6 months to a year. I'm starting to use myfitnesspal again, hoping this will be the time that it works for me, but even if it doesn't I guess I should take solace in the fact that I am living a healthier lifestyle and exercising more. Best wishes to you :)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? A forum member could have a look and see if they can spot any problems with your logging? Logging and accurately weighing food/measuring calorie burns is the usual culprit.

Also do you use a food scale or eyeball? Do you prepare your own meals? How do you estimate your calorie burns from working out? Do you include beverages, condiments and cooking oils in your log? Do you log religiously or slack off at weekends? x
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Because you are 20 pounds from goal weight will come off slowly - like 1/2 pound a week. 1/2 pound = 8 oz.

That 8 oz. may not show up on the scale because of water weight (sodium levels, sore muscles, time of month) or because of your waste cycle, etc. It's easy to miss.

Measuring and logging accurately becomes more important too. You just can't put up a big deficit (in a healthy way). Digital food scale - check MFP entries. There is a lot of crap in the database.

It's somewhere in the calories......not in your style of dieting.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'd confirm that you are eating what you think you are with a food scale and correct database entries (USDA for produce and meats), double check your exercise and activity calorie estimates.

If those check out, then a trip to the doctor is in order to check thyroid, etc.

If that comes back A-OK, then remember that MFP's calorie target is an estimate and not an absolute. It is certainly possible that you are part of the population that falls significantly below the target. Deduct 250 cals from your goal and give it a month. Repeat if you are still gaining or not losing. Eventually you will get to the point where you are losing.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How many calories per day do you eat? How accurately is your food logging? When you tried food logging, did you log every meal & snack, every day, for 7-8 weeks minimum before you gave up and tried something else?

Accuracy, honesty and patience is the key to losing weight. And of course eating at a deficit. Last, realistic expectations. Based on your stats you can reasonably expect to lose 1 pound per week, eating 1500-1600 calories per day. Plus additional to fuel your exercise. With exercise, be careful not to assume your workouts burn a huge # of calories. *Assumes relatively sedentary lifestyle, BMR in the 1690 area.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Since OP hasn't come back to answer questions...

Do the things in this chart you aren't currently doing, @peechybabe

gjte6xk7hf4i.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less than maintenance calories for an extended period of time. That doesn't mean eating 1200 calories. That means set your MFP profile up to lose 1/2 pound per week and eat all of those calories plus half of your exercise calories for four weeks. After that time if you are losing too quickly, eat more. Too slowly? Eat less. Just right? Stay the course.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Dave Draper says that if you want to lose a little fat and gain a little muscle, he's got a diet plan for you.
    It's the Tuna and Water diet.

High protein, surplus calories, and progressive heavy lifting.

1 gram protein per lb lean body mass, 250 calorie surplus, more than you lifted last week.

You mention goals that are contradictory, as you are sufficiently in good condition that you won't experience both muscle gain and fat loss by progressive heavy lifting in a calorie deficit. You'll just lose weight and keep muscle. That might be enough to satisfy your goals, if your goals are really that you want recomposition.